Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Subframe bolt won't go in the whole way

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 Fiesta ST. I dropped the subframe to install a new turbo and as I put it all back together, the driver side rear bolt goes in only about 3/4 of the way then gets super tight. I don't want to risk breaking it so I turned it out and tried a couple more times, same result. It threads in by hand easily for the first half or so, then gets tight and only goes another couple turns with a wrench before it gets tight. Still about 1/4" sticking out. I thought I might have cross threaded it, but it screws in by hand so easily for the first half, I feel something else is wrong. when I examine the threads on the bolt they are all good, except the first thread, looks like its starting to round a little. The two front bolts and the passenger side rear went in easy as pie, kind of stumped. The bolt I'm talking about is W714343-S900 , I was thinking of trying to run a tap through the hole to see if I can straiten anything out thats threaded wrong, but I can't find the bolt size to get a tap thats right. the hardware store says its a 14x2, but alot of Ford parts for that bolt are saying 14x1.5 on other Ford vehicles. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

2019 Fiesta ST. I dropped the subframe to install a new turbo and as I put it all back together, the driver side rear bolt goes in only about 3/4 of the way then gets super tight. I don't want to risk breaking it so I turned it out and tried a couple more times, same result. It threads in by hand easily for the first half or so, then gets tight and only goes another couple turns with a wrench before it gets tight. Still about 1/4" sticking out. I thought I might have cross threaded it, but it screws in by hand so easily for the first half, I feel something else is wrong. when I examine the threads on the bolt they are all good, except the first thread, looks like its starting to round a little. The two front bolts and the passenger side rear went in easy as pie, kind of stumped. The bolt I'm talking about is W714343-S900 , I was thinking of trying to run a tap through the hole to see if I can straiten anything out thats threaded wrong, but I can't find the bolt size to get a tap thats right. the hardware store says its a 14x2, but alot of Ford parts for that bolt are saying 14x1.5 on other Ford vehicles. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Might sound silly and I have not done this procedure but are there short and long bolts and you are trying to but the long bolt where a short bolt goes? Trust me I have done this before.

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #4
Might sound silly and I have not done this procedure but are there short and long bolts and you are trying to but the long bolt where a short bolt goes? Trust me I have done this before.
haha, yea, i too have done that, but in this case there are only two bolts per side. one is long and skinny and has a weird head on it, the other is big, 14mm, and it has a bolt head on it. no way to mess them up. Thanks for the input though.

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #5
Only thing I can think is that they are stretch bolts and are meant to be one-time use. Did you get new bolts? Also I use something like this to check bolt size and thread pitched, it's saved me a few times - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FJW0GK/
I didn't get new bolts, I can certainly try that as they are only like 4 dollars per, but i don't think thats the problem. I will order one though, I'll try anything at this point. I used the bolt sizer at the hardware store.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Honestly I bet that is the problem, it kinda looks like it could be a stretch bolt. Hopefully that's it!

anticon

How much did removing the subframe help with the install. I know Adam recommends it but it sounds like more of a pain then working around it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I've never tried to reuse TTY bolts, but it is certainly interesting to know what can happen if you do. (besides them snapping while retorquing)

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #10
How much did removing the subframe help with the install. I know Adam recommends it but it sounds like more of a pain then working around it.
It took me about 40 minutes to remove it, but it opens up the whole underside. Turbo removal and install took about an hour and it drops right out. Grinding the block was super easy to see and get to. I'm going to guess it can be done without removing it, but there was so little room to work, I would recommend. The problem is, the removal and reinstall of the subframe took twice as long as the turbo install. Removal was easy, reinstalling it took time and now I'm stuck with a screwed up bolt. I would still take it off if I ever need to install another turbo or manifold

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #11
The manual does say to toss those bolts, and not reuse.
View attachment 42299
and shows install torque, and then turn another 240 degrees which makes me assume they are stretch bolts.
View attachment 42300
I ordered another set of bolts, so I hope that's it. I can't get a tap for it unless I know the size and tooth pattern, and nobody lists the specs on the bolt, just that's it's oem.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I can't get a tap for it unless I know the size and tooth pattern, and nobody lists the specs on the bolt, just that's it's oem.
If you have one out, take it to a hardware store and MATCH the shank size, thread pitch, and maybe even the length.

haste

1000 Post Club
Good lord. Subframe drop for a turbo install? noooooooooooo. just some normal height ramps and some jack stands. I literally just installed an s280 and had to grind the boss down on the block. my buddy just held the s280 out of the way and i ground on the block a few times while checking the fit on the turbo. subframe removal was never even a thought in my mind. i've installed an x37(a few times), whoosh hybrid and an s280. whoever thought a subframe drop would be a good idea...wtf?

If the threads on the bolt you are trying to reuse look flat, definitely run a tap through the bolt hole and get a new bolt. will work like butter after that....

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I am *always* nervous about using a tap. Soooooooo much can go wrong using them. The more thread material you strip away, the less torque that hole will take and the greater the propensity for that bolt to backout over time. Consider that a warning.

Hopefully remove/replace of the other reused TTY bolts will go smoothly.

Good lord. Subframe drop for a turbo install? noooooooooooo. just some normal height ramps and some jack stands. I literally just installed an s280 and had to grind the boss down on the block. my buddy just held the s280 out of the way and i ground on the block a few times while checking the fit on the turbo. subframe removal was never even a thought in my mind. i've installed an x37(a few times), whoosh hybrid and an s280. whoever thought a subframe drop would be a good idea...wtf?

If the threads on the bolt you are trying to reuse look flat, definitely run a tap through the bolt hole and get a new bolt. will work like butter after that....
Subframe drop literally takes like 10 mins, and makes the whole turbo install a million times easier. If you have a lift that is. Otherwise I'd go thru the top.

slopoke

Loosen all of the bolts. After that, take a line up punch and get the empty hole aligned as best as you can. Put some lube very lightly on the treads of the bolt and start it. For a subframe or any part that has many fasteners, I like to get all of the bolts in and started by a few turns, before torquing them down. Good luck.

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #17

The only video I found showing a turbo install was from Adam at Tune plus. He suggested taking it off because it gives more room to work. He said it was really easy. And honestly taking it off was easy, it was putting it back on that wasn't so easy. Did make the turbo install easy though.

Sam4

Grind a cut along the threads of an old bolt to use as a tap. (After you get the new ones). Oh - just for shits and giggles - here's a bolt from my work:

03.311.055CONNECTION BOLTTrauma02-Ex-FixEx-Fix Connecting Posts, Bolts, NutsEA1 $ 22.00

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #20
If Adam told you to Jump off a high bridge would you? That step is totally out of line...IMO.... FMR.... I just take off the Cowl and one set of hands from the top and the other set from the bottom.

While I normally take your advice because you seem to know some things, that's one of the dumbest responses I've ever seen. You say if Adam told me to jump off a bridge, would I? But then offer your advice as that's what I should do. So, by your logic, if I take your advice, if YOU told me to jump off a bridge, would I? So any advice I take other than yours is somehow dumb and I'm just doing what I'm told? Isn't that what 99% of what this forum is? People asking advice and following the ones they feel works for them? Do me a favor and keep your opinion to yourself from my posts, ill take advice from non judgmental members.

Status
Not open for further replies.