Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Subframe bolt won't go in the whole way

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
BTW: TTY bolts will stretch only above the part threaded into the nut.
This of course changes the thread pitch and making it seem that it will not thread in all the way.
I know this obviously the issue are having.
The only way to fix this is to replace the bolt.
Again obvious.
If you can't find a match at a hardware store that is not TTY then your stuck with OEM.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
@Intuit
Although your photo is a very good example it does not explain why the bolt will not thread further and resulting in snapping of the bolt in that area.
As for the actual bolts in question that I have removed and replaced many times when helping to design the front bracing, these bolts don't bottom out and therefore should continue to thread in.
Depending on the manufacturer, some bots also stretch in the thread area (sorry I don't have a photo example) as I tried to describe above.
By stretching in the thread area, the pitch changes, preventing the bolt to be threaded in further as if it were cross-threading and therefore not tightening all the way as the OP describes.
I would think it is better in this case that the bolt that cannot be tightened, rather than having to remove a broken off one.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=can+a...efig=901169a90c4c45dda5c5d384bd20f5b0&pc=U531

Last edited:
OP
Melow
Thread Starter #26
I ordered a bolt sizer and a set of new OEM bolts. When it all gets here I 'll let you know how it all goes and if I figure out what was causing the problem. Thank you all for your input, gives me alot to think about.

OP
Melow
Thread Starter #27
ok, Just so you know how it turned out. I got a tap and ran it through the hole, only caught in one spot and it cut right through it without much pressure. I pulled it out and ran the original bolt in and it went right in and tightened up. I didn't torque it the whole way because when the new bolts come I'll be replacing them, but enough to work for now. Must have been cross threaded somewhere. Thanks again for the input.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What did you learn from all this?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Obtain the knowledge before you get into something before you attempt* critical thinking can save you massive headaches and precious time.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Obtain the knowledge before you get into something before you attempt* critical thinking can save you massive headaches and precious time.

Very true one of the reasons why I research stuff to the moon and back before I make a decision.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Correction in bold underlined red.
@Melow - thanks for sharing the result.
"We"? Do you have a Turd in your pocket? What is the "We" crap? Research....Think....make your own conclusions before believing what another dingle berry says is the "Best" way before anything gets dismantled without knowing consequences. Bottom line....Dont be a lemming * Do your due diligence!

Last edited:
OP
Melow
Thread Starter #36
"We"? Do you have a Turd in your pocket? What is the "We" crap? Research....Think....make your own conclusions before believing what another dingle berry says is the "Best" way before anything gets dismantled without knowing consequences. Bottom line....Dont be a lemming * Do your due diligence!

I researched the shit out of the process before I attempted to install the turbo myself. I felt confident that I could do it and I chose to do it the way I did because it seemed the best way to ME! How am I a lemming for doing it the way someone else suggested? You really are full of yourself aren't you. The only thing that went wrong was a bolt got cross threaded, and that was just something that happens sometimes. I don't feel any amount of research would have helped me put a bolt in, I pretty much learned that about 40 years ago. I know your going to say that YOU never had a problem with anything because you seem to know only the right way to do everything. Please respect my earlier statement and keep your opinions to yourself unless its actually helpful. You being condescending really isn't anything I want to hear.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I researched the shit out of the process before I attempted to install the turbo myself. I felt confident that I could do it and I chose to do it the way I did because it seemed the best way to ME! How am I a lemming for doing it the way someone else suggested? You really are full of yourself aren't you. The only thing that went wrong was a bolt got cross threaded, and that was just something that happens sometimes. I don't feel any amount of research would have helped me put a bolt in, I pretty much learned that about 40 years ago. I know your going to say that YOU never had a problem with anything because you seem to know only the right way to do everything. Please respect my earlier statement and keep your opinions to yourself unless its actually helpful. You being condescending really isn't anything I want to hear.
See now....if you did your Due diligence most everyone removes the cowl and installs and removes from the bottom or the top or a combination. No condescending here* NEVER called you a lemming either pal. I said don't be a lemming * Big Difference. Now....get back to tuning and modding and enjoy your FiST!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
"We"? Do you have a Turd in your pocket? ..........
Speak for yourself dude. It's easy to be rude (and wrong) behind a keyboard...

EDIT: ...and for the record, I live in the rust belt. I take apart as little as is possible, even if it costs me time. So before you make another ASSumption, ask a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.