Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Summer Tires - Bridgestone Potenza RE050A vs Pirelli PZero Nero 205/40r17

The S-04 is a very good tire up there with Michelin Pilot Sport, came in second place in 2012 review with Car and Driver.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/bridgestone-potenza-s-04-pole-position-page-9

I've heard too that the 050A is being discontinued too and from my sources at the local tire shop said the RE760 is be discontinued as well. Not too sure about the RE-11 though.
S-04's are Max Summer's, so they're similar to the RE050A. The RE11 was replaced by the RE11A, which is being mostly replaced by the much better RE71R [not all the same sizes]. RE050A is still OEM equipped on many BMW's.

Ok, so it comes back to my original question you didn't answer: do you like the RE050A's you currently have? Are you intentionally trying to change the character of the car? No two different tires feel the same, so if you're trying to change how the car feels, what are you trying to change? Since you're limiting yourself to 205/40-17, you have very few options, so that makes the choice easier.

UTQG's are not arbitrary, it's a specified test. It is however open for extrapolative data interpretation, and also lightly regulated, though the NHTSA does have the authority to fine a tire manufacturer. Saying it's "arbitrary" however is inaccurate.
My only complaint is the lack of options in 205/40-17, now that the 050A is discontinued. I'm happy with my tire choice especially with what I paid. Just bummed I had to throw out two tires with 6/32 rubber on them.

My only complaint is the lack of options in 205/40-17, now that the 050A is discontinued. I'm happy with my tire choice especially with what I paid. Just bummed I had to throw out two tires with 6/32 rubber on them.
Source on the discontinued? Tire Rack shows them in-stock and not closeout, and they're clearly on Bridgestone's website, and many currently model year cars still have them as OEM tires [many BMW's, obviously the FiST].

Why would you throw out tires before they're worn?

Source on the discontinued? Tire Rack shows them in-stock and not closeout, and they're clearly on Bridgestone's website, and many currently model year cars still have them as OEM tires [many BMW's, obviously the FiST].

Why would you throw out tires before they're worn?
My Costco(checked with two) in NorCal have them listed as discontinued. Maybe it's only for a certain size or maybe Costco can not order them anymore.

I had 2 at 3/32 and 2 at 6/32 tread left. Had a nail in the sidewall of a 6/32. Could not order the 050A from Costco so I went with 4 205/45 S-04.

Bummer on the situation, but for next time keep Tire Rack and Discount Tire in mind. I would bet that Costco is simply stopping carrying that size for whatever reason. It's simply too popular an OEM tire to be canned mid model-year.

The S-04's are a great tire, you'll be happy with those.

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #25
My Costco(checked with two) in NorCal have them listed as discontinued. Maybe it's only for a certain size or maybe Costco can not order them anymore.

I had 2 at 3/32 and 2 at 6/32 tread left. Had a nail in the sidewall of a 6/32. Could not order the 050A from Costco so I went with 4 205/45 S-04.
When I checked with my local tire shop they said they were discontinued but they could get some still.
Edit: I got confused with the RE760 getting discontinued when talking to different tire shops, I realized this after talking to an engineer at Bridgestone here in Canada. He said to the best of his knowledge the RE050A hasn't been discontinued. He indicated to me and felt very strongly that the RE760 was just as good if not better than the RE050A and said if I'm not completely satisfied I have 30 days to return the tires no questions asked and Bridgestone will replace them with another Brigdestone product. I've read up this 30 day satisfaction guarantee but is good to know I have that option should I need to use it.

I went with RE760's as I used to have then on my 2002 WRX wagon and was happy with the performance. I also decided to go with them in hope of eeking out more mileage from them. It has been a while that I have owned a high performance FWD car which eats up the tires so quickly. Well after changing to them on a Saturday at Discount tire the first bit of real world experience I felt was going to work on Monday on the freeway. The car felt "funny" when changing lanes. My suspicions were confirmed on taking a sweeper freeway exit that I used to take comfortably at 50 mph, did not feels as confidence inspiring....Long story short I went to Discount tire and had them swap out to the OEM. I was told that the side walls of the RE760's were not as firm and in such a small car that is finely tuned for handling any change is amplified. The car just felt too different tor me. The reason I bought this car was for the toss-ability and fun factor. If you take those out what do you have left? Just my .02C

OP
marc89gti
Thread Starter #27
I went with RE760's as I used to have then on my 2002 WRX wagon and was happy with the performance. I also decided to go with them in hope of eeking out more mileage from them. It has been a while that I have owned a high performance FWD car which eats up the tires so quickly. Well after changing to them on a Saturday at Discount tire the first bit of real world experience I felt was going to work on Monday on the freeway. The car felt "funny" when changing lanes. My suspicions were confirmed on taking a sweeper freeway exit that I used to take comfortably at 50 mph, did not feels as confidence inspiring....Long story short I went to Discount tire and had them swap out to the OEM. I was told that the side walls of the RE760's were not as firm and in such a small car that is finely tuned for handling any change is amplified. The car just felt too different tor me. The reason I bought this car was for the toss-ability and fun factor. If you take those out what do you have left? Just my .02C
Thanks for the feedback I already ordered the RE760s and Bridgestone has the 30day no questions asked guarantee so I will try them out and worst case I return them.