Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Supporting Mods for Turbo Upgrade

ronmcdon

If you do go with the st200 route I would say factor in additional costs if you plan to throw on crossover pipe, induction hose, possible evap harness if after 2014 fiesta model, maybe what I got was overkill but I think the whole induction upgrade as whole was somewhere between 6-700 for my st200 setup. I does look entirely stock other than the 'whoosh' logo on the induction hose.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
^^^I believe that jeff was exempting the S280 from that 'unbalanced' statement, and was solely directing it towards the 550s, and bigger that the 'peakers' seek out for huge power numbers way up top. [wink]

(But I could be wrong, jeff?)
Perhaps the sentence was bit unclear and I did reread it a few times. He managed to talk abut the Whoosh and the S280 in the same breath so to speak which lead to that question mark. Which is why I responded . Perhaps I misunderstood his intention due to that.

jeff

2000 Post Club
This is a broad statement Jeff, I would not consider the S280 to be unbalanced when it comes to power deliver aka TQ/ spool and HP and TQ curve . I also bet D-Resonant would argue that with his S242 except those are no longer made like your Turbo.
Also a lot of the old guard moved on from x47‘s to big Turbo‘s years ago. So again I look at your statement as a bit biased towards your love of it. I cannot blame you for that. It was a pretty damn good turbo in its day when there were not as many offerings.
edit....
I would hazard to say it was Pumaspeed’s best Turbo.
Drink a beer bro. You totally misunderstood what I said. Amazing how quick you rush to defend your turbo and criticize mine. No hard feelings though, no need to go back and forth here. I have spoken highly of the S280 in may places including obviously recommending it in my post above. I think it and the Whoosh are the best for what the OP is looking for based on his comments. OP wants what a hybrid offers so big turbos are out, his options are limited and as I mentioned S280 and Whoosh are his best picks imho.

The old guard are mostly gone, they blew up their cars are got bored of their big turbos and bought a Mustang. Jeff is still here with his old X47, and his car operates flawlessly.

It is common knowledge among experienced tuners that the X47 was superior to all the others offered at that time (X37, X47+, X47R) due to fin size and housing modifications which allowed for the best balance of flow and spool time. The more they tried to increase hp numbers with the later variants the more it compromised spool and caused the turbos to be unbalanced as I mentioned above. Ask anyone who's tuned all of the Puma variants, they'll agree. Of course this all relates to stock turbo housing, outside of that I have no comment as you're looking at a different power delivery which changes the personality of the car. Everything I'm saying relates to the crowd that prefers (a) early spool and (b) ~280whp on pump gas.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Drink a beer bro. You totally misunderstood what I said. Amazing how quick you rush to defend your turbo and criticize mine. No hard feelings though, no need to go back and forth here. I have spoken highly of the S280 in may places including obviously recommending it in my post above. I think it and the Whoosh are the best for what the OP is looking for based on his comments. OP wants what a hybrid offers so big turbos are out, his options are limited and as I mentioned S280 and Whoosh are his best picks imho.

The old guard are mostly gone, they blew up their cars are got bored of their big turbos and bought a Mustang. Jeff is still here with his old X47, and his car operates flawlessly.

It is common knowledge among experienced tuners that the X47 was superior to all the others offered at that time (X37, X47+, X47R) due to fin size and housing modifications which allowed for the best balance of flow and spool time. The more they tried to increase hp numbers with the later variants the more it compromised spool and caused the turbos to be unbalanced as I mentioned above. Ask anyone who's tuned all of the Puma variants, they'll agree. Of course this all relates to stock turbo housing, outside of that I have no comment as you're looking at a different power delivery which changes the personality of the car. Everything I'm saying relates to the crowd that prefers (a) early spool and (b) ~280whp on pump gas.
Wow Jeff overreacting? I was not rushing to defend my turbo or criticize yours in fact I spoke favorably of yours and just stating my observations of mine.
My post was a friendly open observation of the discussion nothing less nothing more . There was nothing offensive in my remarks.

It‘s amazing that saying your statement might be broad would piss you off so much. You are telling me to drink a beer? I do not consider drinking beer or getting drunk as answers to being bothered which I was not and you clearly are.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Wow Jeff overreacting? I was not rushing to defend my turbo or criticize yours in fact I spoke favorably of yours and just stating my observations of mine.
My post was a friendly open observation of the discussion nothing less nothing more . There was nothing offensive in my remarks.

It‘s amazing that saying your statement might be broad would piss you off so much. You are telling me to drink a beer? I do not consider drinking beer or getting drunk as answers to being bothered which I was not and you clearly are.
Nobody is pissed. Beer is good, it helps you relax, just a suggestion. Actually I had a really good Hershey's beer the other day, it was fantastic. I love Fiestas, and think you made a great choice with the S280.

OP
2Noob4U
Thread Starter #26

Yes ~ 280 whp on pump gas is where I want it. It roasts the tires in 2 gears on the stock turbo. I can't see it hooking on the street with huge spool. Yes, I still want a reliable daily driver.

I did see the other video with the S280 install and the block modification. I think that install is the guy that did my tune. Honestly the S280 and Whoosh Hybrid are the two top picks. Is one install easier than the other? If I'm crawling under the car I'm likely going to do all the boost pipes and DP while I have everything torn apart.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I did see the other video with the S280 install and the block modification. I think that install is the guy that did my tune. Honestly the S280 and Whoosh Hybrid are the two top picks. Is one install easier than the other? If I'm crawling under the car I'm likely going to do all the boost pipes and DP while I have everything torn apart.
Adam Brunson did a YT video on the S280 install as you described, and he is a well-known tuner aka Tune+, maybe you're referring to that. I've never installed an S280 but from what I've heard from Adam's video and others it's not bad. But the Whoosh should be easier since you're not modifying the block as you are with the S280 to make things fit. So if it's about easy of install, yes the Whoosh might be easier. Yes do the DP at the same time for sure. Charge pipes are meh, don't know that it's worth it though they look cool and are stronger than OEM so what the heck go for it. I have a video on the Whoosh charge pipes as well you might want to check out.

Get the car in the air on a lift or 4 jack stands, give it a few days and take your time, and get it all installed. The Fiesta is such an easy (relative to other cars I've wrenched on) car to modify and the gains are inexpensive and noticeable. Enjoy and let us know if you have more questions.

Drama in every thread I click, but why :oops:
IMG_6207.GIF

haste

1000 Post Club
Thinking of doing an x47r install, was it easy to install on just front ramps? Any tips?
Just have a catch pan ready for the coolant loss when disconnecting the lines from the bearing housing. Otherwise, it's not bad.

Headlights, wipers, cowl, fresh air intake piping, heatshield, disconnect O2 sensors and downpipe, oil/coolant lines, electrical connection for BPV, charge air piping, remove turbo and manifold all together from the top.

I probably missed something, but that is about it.

And yeah, totally doable on ramps.