Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift springs and Bilstein B8 disappointed

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
But, the whole point is that we are talking non-OEM dampers in the first place. :)
Also, compared to thermostats or anything else, the 14-16 and 17+ do have different dampening part #'s, so I think the Swifts are designed with the '14-'16 dampers in mind, but we are talking completely different dampers here.
Okay the Swift spring was designed to work with a OEM damper. The B6 is the same size as the OEM damper. Swift recommends the B6 just a better version with the same design as the OEM damper.
I would install what the spring manufacturer recommends.
I really don't think it matters that much plenty of people are going to go with the B8 anyway.
I will install B6 dampers when I am due for replacements.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Okay the Swift spring was designed to work with a OEM damper. The B6 is the same size as the OEM damper. Swift recommends the B6 just a better version with the same design as the OEM damper.
I would install what the spring manufacturer recommends.
I really don't think it matters that much plenty of people are going to go with the B8 anyway.
I will install B6 dampers when I am due for replacements.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Fair 'nuff... I'll research which damper is recommended with my choice of springs, I just kind of made safe assumptions based on shaft length based on lowering amount thing mentioned earlier, which likely is pretty close, but worth looking closer at to be sure.

HBEcoBeaST

Fair 'nuff... I'll research which damper is recommended with my choice of springs, I just kind of made safe assumptions based on shaft length based on lowering amount thing mentioned earlier, which likely is pretty close, but worth looking closer at to be sure.
I'm with you on the confusion. People state the valving on the B6 and B8 is exactly the same, yet the descriptions Bilstein describe the B8 as a 'sport shock for lowered vehicles' and the B6 as an OEM upgrade but not total 'sport' shock. It's also funny to me that the B6 are recommended with the Swift springs yet people state the B8s are valved exactly the same and with a shorter shaft which are actually meant to be lowered? Add to that the confusion of the same part #s on the B6/B8 regardless if it's the regular fiesta or FiST. I personally would go with the B8s even on OEM springs. We already sit lower than the regular fiesta and the SWIFTS would make it even lower. It seems SWIFTS are in the middle range of drop so if not that then what were the B8s intended for?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Even Swift themselves, the times I've called/spoken to their 'techs' directly recently, are quite ambivalent/undecided about WHICH Bilstein model works best with their Spec R springs. [dunno]

HBEcoBeaST

I’m not so sure the Mountune springs can be categorized purely as progressive spring
I kind of get what you're saying. I know they are not squishy by any means but they are progressive, which is a positive for ride quality. Having driven cars with Cobb and eibach springs you do lose a little turn in and feel, but it still handles better. Different strokes, different folks ....

HBEcoBeaST

Looking at the pictures now the fronts definitely do look linear which is what you'd want with progressives in back. I don't really care about labels I just want OEM or better turn in response and feel.

I kind of get what you're saying. I know they are not squishy by any means but they are progressive, which is a positive for ride quality. Having driven cars with Cobb and eibach springs you do lose a little turn in and feel, but it still handles better. Different strokes, different folks ....
Yes linear springs cannot be beat for track use. I don’t track my car. After driving on my setup it felt as tight as the oem setup without the explosions over bumps. If you look at Mountune’s springs the distance between the compression coils seem to be at a constant rate which would explain why it feels like a linear spring. Either way I like the fact that Mountune tested many iterations of spring configurations before they decided on the final tuning of the production springs. I don’t feel I am missing anything the oem setup offered except for the harshness.

Last edited:
A little off topic: Mountunes’ goal for all their products is to enhance what the FiST does not transform into a foreign object. Ford is their Daddy so yes it seems an obvious observation. Point being there are a lot of offerings for our car but I like the fact that Mountune doesn’t release anything until they are satisfied with the results of their engineering and testing. To me it’s worth it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Looking at the pictures now the fronts definitely do look linear which is what you'd want with progressives in back. I don't really care about labels I just want OEM or better turn in response and feel.
It does not matter to me anyway, since the Mountunes slam the car down WAY TOO MUCH for my needs/uses, but I will agree that they ARE a quality option for those who can live with/use their ride height. [wink] [thumb]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
It does not matter to me anyway, since the Mountunes slam the car down WAY TOO MUCH for my needs/uses, but I will agree that they ARE a quality option for those who can live with/use their ride height. [wink] [thumb]
Really? I thought they were on the more conservative end at 1.1" like Swift?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Really? I thought they were on the more conservative end at 1.1" like Swift?
But even the Swifts are too low for my uses, unless I put one of those 'height adder' type front upper mount spacers in with them, and use either some form of weight jackers, and/or the Powerflex rear spring pads. [:(]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
But even the Swifts are too low for my uses, unless I put one of those 'height adder' type front upper mount spacers in with them, and use either some form of weight jackers, and/or the Powerflex rear spring pads. [:(]
OK, that makes sense then, I was just thinking that you meant the Mountune were like 1.5" + or something... I want to go with the Eibach, as they are listed as 0.8"/0.7" like Cobb (pretty much identical, both made by Eibach) but apparently they really are more of a 1.1"/1.0" settled, so I'd likely use the Powerflex rear pads to give the slightly raked look I want. Any more drop than that would be bad and would require far more expensive ST Suspensions coilovers with height adjustments as low as 0.2"... anyway, thanks for confirming.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #57
B6 and B8 are identical valving just a shorter shaft to keep the shorter spring within the required range of motion.

Bilstein recommends B6 for OEM ST springs.

Swift also recommends Bilstein B6 for their springs. They don't lower enough to warrant the shorter shaft to keep the proper range of motion.
This would explain why it was more difficult to get the swift springs on the bilstein struts. Had to compress them all the way down and then they wouldn't let go of the spring compressor lol.

The front feels bouncy and numb. The wheels also jostle over bumps, the steering wheel fights back and forth. I'm guessing the spring is still compressed too much to do its job properly.

HBEcoBeaST

Same here I keep teasing myself thinking I can go any lower than -.5" in front due to taller tires, wider rims and Mad Max quality roads.

I'm still debating on BCs or regular Fiesta b14 coilovers. I can get a killer deal on the BCs and save about $200 over the b14s but I don't want any issues and won't really use the adjustability.

HBEcoBeaST

This would explain why it was more difficult to get the swift springs on the bilstein struts. Had to compress them all the way down and then they wouldn't let go of the spring compressor lol.

The front feels bouncy and numb. The wheels also jostle over bumps, the steering wheel fights back and forth. I'm guessing the spring is still compressed too much to do its job properly.
Weird. Usually with overly stiff springs you get intense wheel feel/nvh the opposite of numb. Are you sure they aren't in upside down? Lol jk.

Numb feeling anything on the FiST is sacrilege and shall not be tolerated. My favorite quality of our cars is the accurate feedback from the steering, tires and brakes. It's all about 'the feels'

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Same here I keep teasing myself thinking I can go any lower than -.5" in front due to taller tires, wider rims and Mad Max quality roads.

I'm still debating on BCs or regular Fiesta b14 coilovers. I can get a killer deal on the BCs and save about $200 over the b14s but I don't want any issues and won't really use the adjustability.
Maybe ST Suspensions XT would work... no adjustability on the dampening but you do on the ride height from 0.2" to over an inch...