Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift springs and Bilstein B8 disappointed

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The spring pad is definitely eating into your drop. I agree to start there.
I wouldn't remove the poly urethane ones for the stock foam ones, they are much less durable and just come apart entirely when they fail.

HBEcoBeaST

Thank you for this post. I'm debating on suspension set ups and b8/Swift's were a consideration. I don't mind a mild drop but if the b8s feel 'numb' in any way I'm out. Any more driving impressions since you've had them??

Those b14s are sick, too bad Bilstein is so back ordered. Can you tell by looking if the fronts are linear? So much conflicting info saying the fiesta St kit is progressive all around and the regular Fiesta kit linear in front

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you for this post. I'm debating on suspension set ups and b8/Swift's were a consideration. I don't mind a mild drop but if the b8s feel 'numb' in any way I'm out. Any more driving impressions since you've had them??
My boyfriend and my roommate both have Koni Yellows on their FiSTs and the cars have a totally different personality. Granted we have different tires as well, however the suspensions are all similar. We all have Swift Springs, they both have 6pt braces, rear sways, and koni yellows. I have a 4pt, B8s, rear sway bar, and a trunk brace. My car is decidedly more confident over long sweeping curves, but it does not have as much road feedback as theirs do. The B8s are great and I went way out of my way to get them, but I wish I'd just gotten the yellows.

HBEcoBeaST

My boyfriend and my roommate both have Koni Yellows on their FiSTs and the cars have a totally different personality. Granted we have different tires as well, however the suspensions are all similar. We all have Swift Springs, they both have 6pt braces, rear sways, and koni yellows. I have a 4pt, B8s, rear sway bar, and a trunk brace. My car is decidedly more confident over long sweeping curves, but it does not have as much road feedback as theirs do. The B8s are great and I went way out of my way to get them, but I wish I'd just gotten the yellows.
Are their yellows on full stiff? I daily 60miles with some fun parts of my commute on back streets so bad it might as well be a rally stage. I can't be too stiff or low. I care mostly about retaining OEM turn in, fitting my taller 205/50r16 tires and keeping an acceptable ride, in that order.

I was considering these b8s on OEM springs or Swift's but this helps validate my decision to go with coilovers either the b14s or BCs.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are their yellows on full stiff? I daily 60miles with some fun parts of my commute on back streets so bad it might as well be a rally stage. I can't be too stiff or low. I care mostly about retaining OEM turn in, fitting my taller 205/50r16 tires and keeping an acceptable ride, in that order.

I was considering these b8s on OEM springs or Swift's but this helps validate my decision to go with coilovers either the b14s or BCs.
Yes they are both on full stiff. The stiffer they are the more feel they have, i feel like turn in is better with them that way, but i havent driven either of their cars on the track.

...Those b14s are sick, too bad Bilstein is so back ordered. Can you tell by looking if the fronts are linear? So much conflicting info saying the fiesta St kit is progressive all around and the regular Fiesta kit linear in front
Yes, the B14 kit springs for the FiST are linear in the front and progressive in the rear. Check out this article for more on how the B14s work on a FiST.

I had to wait from February until May to get mine. Have you checked around for them lately? I got mine at ModBargains, but I would also check with Whoosh.

HBEcoBeaST

Why would you not use the B6?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Bilstein actually states the b8s are slightly stiffer with less travel. Since they list the same b6 and b8 part numbers for FiSTs and regular fiestas I figured I'd go with the b8s since they are meant for lower vehicles and we sit lower than the regular Fiesta. Plus less travel wouldn't be a bad thing with my taller tires

HBEcoBeaST

Yes, the B14 kit springs for the FiST are linear in the front and progressive in the rear. Check out this article for more on how the B14s work on a FiST.

I had to wait from February until May to get mine. Have you checked around for them lately? I got mine at ModBargains, but I would also check with Whoosh.
I can basically order them off eBay UK and that's it. Apparently Bilstein is moving locations where these are manufactured and that's why there's a huge backlog of orders.

the duke

Bilstein actually states the b8s are slightly stiffer with less travel. Since they list the same b6 and b8 part numbers for FiSTs and regular fiestas I figured I'd go with the b8s since they are meant for lower vehicles and we sit lower than the regular Fiesta. Plus less travel wouldn't be a bad thing with my taller tires
B6 and B8 are identical valving just a shorter shaft to keep the shorter spring within the required range of motion.

Bilstein recommends B6 for OEM ST springs.

Swift also recommends Bilstein B6 for their springs. They don't lower enough to warrant the shorter shaft to keep the proper range of motion.

I take it youā€™re running the stock spring pads right? Do you know how much the Powerflex pads increase the ride height on our cars?
Yep stock isolators pads, they were in good shape but I have low mileage. I don't think anyone has measured the difference between stock and powerflex but I would predict another 1/4".

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yep stock isolators pads, they were in good shape but I have low mileage. I don't think anyone has measured the difference between stock and powerflex but I would predict another 1/4".
Can you confirm that it's only the rears or do the fronts use pads too?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
B6 and B8 are identical valving just a shorter shaft to keep the shorter spring within the required range of motion.

Bilstein recommends B6 for OEM ST springs.

Swift also recommends Bilstein B6 for their springs. They don't lower enough to warrant the shorter shaft to keep the proper range of motion.
Very good to know, it's been said that you use B8's for lowering, period, so REALLY good to know that you use B6's for any of the more moderate lowering springs, so sounds like that would apply to Eibach, Mountune and Cobb as well, that all lower around 1"...

the duke

Very good to know, it's been said that you use B8's for lowering, period, so REALLY good to know that you use B6's for any of the more moderate lowering springs, so sounds like that would apply to Eibach, Mountune and Cobb as well, that all lower around 1"...
I would apply that logic to Swift only.

If in doubt contact Bilstein/the spring manufacturer directly.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That would be correct Swift designed the springs to work with the OEM dampers.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That would be correct Swift designed the springs to work with the OEM dampers.
But, the whole point is that we are talking non-OEM dampers in the first place. :)
Also, compared to thermostats or anything else, the 14-16 and 17+ do have different dampening part #'s, so I think the Swifts are designed with the '14-'16 dampers in mind, but we are talking completely different dampers here.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I would apply that logic to Swift only.

If in doubt contact Bilstein/the spring manufacturer directly.
OK, you guys aren't making any sense. You had just said previously it was about the shaft length due to how much lowering height and all the springs mentioned are in the same exact amount of lowering height range, around 1.1". Despite that Eibach and Cobb claiming only 0.8", in reality they settle to around 1.1", like the Swift.