Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Switch From 14/15 Stock Suspension to 16+ Stock Suspension

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Anyone swap from the older suspension to the newer one? Is it noticeable, worth it? I find the ride to be pretty stiff, especially so when I have passengers when I get more self conscious about it.

Dialcaliper

The later model spring rates are softer, and the front struts and rear shocks are valved differently. Just be aware that the later models have a stiffer front sway bar and slightly stiffer rear beam axle to make up the extra body roll from softening the springs.

But before you go through the trouble of a suspension swap, ditch the OEM 17” rubber band tires and get some 15 or 16” wheels and tires if you haven’t already - it will make a much bigger difference in ride quality than the subtle change to the suspension.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The later model spring rates are softer, and the front struts and rear shocks are valved differently. Just be aware that the later models have a stiffer front sway bar and slightly stiffer rear beam axle to make up the extra body roll from softening the springs.

But before you go through the trouble of a suspension swap, ditch the OEM 17” rubber band tires and get some 15 or 16” wheels and tires if you haven’t already - it will make a much bigger difference than the subtle change to the suspension.
This or an aftermarket coilover setup. I Found the ride softened up with my first set of coilovers which were ST XTA’s but I switched out to the Meister R’s. I also did 16x8 wheels w205/45 at first and then 215/45 either way the ride was better.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Sadly, many of us in the more temperate/arctic in the winter climes cannot use any of the available 215/45-16 tires out there due to the need for low temp, year 'round traction, totally killed by the exclusively 100 or 200 tread wear gummies offered to us in that size. [:(]

just replacing the rear shocks on the older cars makes a huge difference. I went with Bilstein B6s and have been happy.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
just replacing the rear shocks on the older cars makes a huge difference. I went with Bilstein B6s and have been happy.
I don’t want to lower my car any more than stock height, I drive over rough terrain too often.

agreed re: ride height. The improvement in ride quality over rough terrain is big.

Fusion Works

What was the thickness of the rear beam on the 17 and up beams? Wondering if my car had the thicker beam or the earlier beam. My car is a 5/16.

Dialcaliper

What was the thickness of the rear beam on the 17 and up beams? Wondering if my car had the thicker beam or the earlier beam. My car is a 5/16.
My car is a 2016 with the earlier suspension and measured right around 8 mm which is close to 5/16”. The later model is supposedly only 10% stiffer, so it may be hard to tell just by measuring thickness (you’d be looking for a roughly 5% increase in thickness/diameter).

The two easiest ways to tell are: 19mm vs 21mm original front sway bar, and failing that, your car’s manufacture date on the door sill. The changeover was apparently mid February 2016 (2/16 on the sill), and so far all indications are that the suspension changed all at once. Mine was January (1/16) and had the older suspension.