Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Symposer not making any noise...

Just got a 2017 with 20k miles. The symposer is there, I cant find any evidence of it being plugged or disconnected, but it doesn't make any noise. I took it off today and cleaned it up and all looked good. I have driven one with a functional symposer so I've got some idea of what they should sound like.
Could this be indicative of another issue like a boost leak?

slopoke

I would delete it, since it's a possible source boost leak if it fails. If you want sound, get a 50/50 blow off/diverter valve .

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Not interested in a delete. I'm just wanting to keep it stock for now and make sure everything is working correctly.
Its easy to clean and judging from what I saw it is very, very unlikely to fail. It is built very durable.

Does the symposer hose just dump the sound above the pedals or does it connect to that funny little port just below and to the right of the steering wheel?

Mikey456

The sound comes out above the pedals. I partially plugged mine up because it was too loud for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Still under 3 yr 36k for couple more weeks.....Make an Appt. at the local ferd dealer and let them earn their money. Quit doing their work for them. IMO.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Still under 3 yr 36k for couple more weeks.....Make an Appt. at the local ferd dealer and let them earn their money. Quit doing their work for them. IMO.
Yep, warranty till June. I've never owned a car under warranty, however I a die hard diy'er so I need to know...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
A bunch of people pull off the tube and stuff part of a paper towel/foam/etc. into it to stop the noise without deleting it. I also saw on mine how I could've stuffed something into the pressurized side then clamped it back on to block it off. Maybe you'll have to take it totally off to see. It's also possible the membrane already ruptured and you're leaking through it so its not vibrating, I suppose.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have a 2017 and find in the winter there is basically no sound. It must be temp sensitive. Works again when spring comes. Kind of strange.
Sounds like OP needs to make a trip South to verify that it works in warmer temps. Maybe your wife will buy that?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Sounds like OP needs to make a trip South to verify that it works in warmer temps. Maybe your wife will buy that?
I only have familiarity with California cold (this morning was 39f, it gets down to 35f here at the coast some mornings - that's as cold as it gets) and didn't have any symposer issues. I don't know what kind of rubber it is but it's possible that extreme cold makes the symposer diaphragm act more like plastic.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
I'll check to see if anything is stuffed in there.
I've had the symposer appart and it is in perfect condition, just a little oily on the pressure side. It is certainly not leaking.

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Checked the tube for something stuffed in there and it appears that nothing is in there.
Logged boost with my Torque Lite app and saw about 20 psi, which I presume is normal, so I'm believing there is no boost leaks...
Also noticed, while tracing the line, that there is a plastic elbow behind the battery area, should there be?
This is really bugging me...

Erick_V

Checked the tube for something stuffed in there and it appears that nothing is in there.
Logged boost with my Torque Lite app and saw about 20 psi, which I presume is normal, so I'm believing there is no boost leaks...
Also noticed, while tracing the line, that there is a plastic elbow behind the battery area, should there be?
This is really bugging me...
You're probably looking at the tube that pumps the induction noise into the cabin