Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync will not update

I've been having a frustrating time trying to update Sync on my '16 FiST. I was able to download the update off the Ford site and put it on a thumb drive, but when I put that in the car for the update, it goes through some kind of process but I end up with the same version of Sync that I started with. I've got the car set up for wifi at my house with it set to update over wifi but nothing happens. Everything works except voice command, which did work until I tried the update. I hoping somebody can give me the information I'm apparently missing about doing this. Thanks.

IMG_3857.jpg

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You have to follow the instructions on the Ford website exactly to the tee, and you have to be watching as the update proceeds. There is a point where a notification flashes on the screen that it's done copying data from the usb and is going to restart. If you don't catch that (it only gives you about 3 seconds to read it before shutting off), and you leave the usb drive in, it starts all over again, and you don't get the update.
It does work, as I do them on both my F150 and the FiST. I print the instructions and have them with me as I do it. And you have to resist the urge to spend the inordinate amount of wait time doing something other than looking at the screen, or you'll miss it.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #4
Hey SteveS. I just followed your instructions to a tee. When the screen came up saying the update was done, I pulled the drive. The Sync restarted and said I'd have the new version next time I started the car. I turned the car off and on, and nothing had happened. Same old version 1.0. Your solution does not work for my car for some reason. Thanks for trying to help.

Last edited:
OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #5
Hey CarGuy. I'm on a Macintosh so the Cyan Labs solution will not work.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Hey CarGuy. I'm on a Macintosh so the Cyan Labs solution will not work.
I'm sorry man. That's all that I've got. I can say that I was able to update from Sync 1.0 to 3.0 when I replaced my Sync 2 in my 2014 with a Sync 3 setup.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Try pulling the fuse for the head unit. Fuse 10 if I remember correctly behind the glovebox and see if that works. Maybe the system needs a hard reset.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
When you downloaded the update did you put in your car's VIN to get the update tailored to your car? I know that the update for my F150 will not work on the Fiesta and vice versa.

Also, is the car running while you do it? It doesn't work with the engine off and ignition on.

Finally, I neglected to tell you that the point you pull the USB drive is at the second time it has to refresh the screen. It will actually say to do so on the screen. The first time it refreshes the screen all it has done is check that the version on the usb drive is correct for the system and validated.

I've been having a frustrating time trying to update Sync on my '16 FiST. I was able to download the update off the Ford site and put it on a thumb drive, but when I put that in the car for the update, it goes through some kind of process but I end up with the same version of Sync that I started with. I've got the car set up for wifi at my house with it set to update over wifi but nothing happens. Everything works except voice command, which did work until I tried the update. I hoping somebody can give me the information I'm apparently missing about doing this. Thanks.

View attachment 46154
Which version did you d/l? If you're on 1.x, you may need to update it to v2.x first. I think someone else was trying to update Sync3 a couple months back too and was having problems going from v1.x to 3.x

It looks like yours may be non-nav, which has issues updating because of lack of ram. There's some info on how to address that on the f150 site, but I think you'll still need to try to source v2.x somehow.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Ford, previously relying on Microsoft for Sync, was new to this. Ford (meaning we) are finding out that O/S resource and package management even with a relatively predictable hardware environment, ain't simple. But, I can understand why they went the Linux embedded route. It's just not easy.

Updating the non-navigation Sync seems to be an entirely different (and unsupported) animal. Might want to leave well enough alone before you (they) brick it.

Memory serving my non-nav 2016 is on version 2.1. It took a few attempts and barely made it there. I'm not fooling with trying to get it to version 3+.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I was pleasantly surprised last weekend with a successful upgrade from Sync 2.2 to the latest 3.4. I attempted upgrading my '17 several times before, and it failed each time. On @CarGuy 's advice, I tried cyanlabs' tool. I don't have nav and my first attempt failed because I misinterpreted cyanlabs' UI for Nav vs Non-Nav. I inadvertently chose the Nav option and, predictably, it bombed -- takes more memory than the non-Nav unit is equipped with (or something like that). After realizing my mistake and going through the process again for non-Nav, the upgrade worked perfectly. If you haven't tried cyanlabs' Sync3Updater, I definitely recommend it.

My primary reason for upgrading was that I have a bunch of MP3s on a USB, and it was hit and miss whether the USB would be recognized. So far, that seems to be resolved but only time will tell.

The new Sync UI was a little over the top at first (compared to 2.2), but now I'm liking it. The background settings are nice, but it's disappointing that there aren't more options or the ability to easily upload a background image directly.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I was pleasantly surprised last weekend with a successful upgrade from Sync 2.2 to the latest 3.4. I attempted upgrading my '17 several times before, and it failed each time. On @CarGuy 's advice, I tried cyanlabs' tool. I don't have nav and my first attempt failed because I misinterpreted cyanlabs' UI for Nav vs Non-Nav. I inadvertently chose the Nav option and, predictably, it bombed -- takes more memory than the non-Nav unit is equipped with (or something like that). After realizing my mistake and going through the process again for non-Nav, the upgrade worked perfectly. If you haven't tried cyanlabs' Sync3Updater, I definitely recommend it.

My primary reason for upgrading was that I have a bunch of MP3s on a USB, and it was hit and miss whether the USB would be recognized. So far, that seems to be resolved but only time will tell.

The new Sync UI was a little over the top at first (compared to 2.2), but now I'm liking it. The background settings are nice, but it's disappointing that there aren't more options or the ability to easily upload a background image directly.
I'm happy that it worked well for you. I've updated like three time now since I switched from Sync 2 to 3 and from Sync 1.0 to 3.4. If you have ForScan you can change the boot up screen to the Ford ST theme or one of several other choices. I like the ST themed one for my FiST. You can also enable climate controls on your screen which is pretty cool.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ford, previously relying on Microsoft for Sync, was new to this. Ford (meaning we) are finding out that O/S resource and package management even with a relatively predictable hardware environment, ain't simple. But, I can understand why they went the Linux embedded route. It's just not easy.

Updating the non-navigation Sync seems to be an entirely different (and unsupported) animal. Might want to leave well enough alone before you (they) brick it.

Memory serving my non-nav 2016 is on version 2.1. It took a few attempts and barely made it there. I'm not fooling with trying to get it to version 3+.
I really do not care about the updates on my '16 non-nav, (I don't have any phone synced to it, and don't use that function at all).

I just wish that I could have the on screen compass back and functional. [:(]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I really do not care about the updates on my '16 non-nav, (I don't have any phone synced to it, and don't use that function at all).

I just wish that I could have the on screen compass back and functional. [:(]
My compass started pointing in the wrong direction, and I got it to work again by doing a fairly simple Sync 3 system reset, which is less complicated than a master reset.
You just press and hold the seek up button >> while pressing and holding the radio power button. After a couple seconds the screen goes black, then in about a minute or so everything is up and running again.
It didn't erase any of my settings, everything stayed as it was before, which is what makes it simpler than a master reset to me, because I believe that erases all your settings.

To the OP, I finally had to get my APIM replaced under warranty from Ford before mine would update, it was defective and wouldn't allow the system to update.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Could this possibly work even if 3 full master reset attempts did NOT??

I am wondering if it is something deeper/more involved than just a reset to cure this, since once, in the last 3 years which the compass was non-functional, it all of a sudden started working, but then just stopped again on the next restart of the car. [???:)] [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I know that a weak area is where the GPS antenna plugs onto the board. The solder seems to fail there for the antenna connector to the board.

Is this in response to the op's Sync 3 update problems, or does the compass use the GPS antenna in order to function, even without the nav option?