Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync will not update

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Is this in response to the op's Sync 3 update problems, or does the compass use the GPS antenna in order to function, even without the nav option?
Exactly the compass uses the GPS how else do you think it knows which way you are pointing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Exactly the compass uses the GPS how else do you think it knows which way you are pointing?

I thought that some form of an internal electronic/digital compass was a possibility, but the GPS antenna does make more more sense. [thumb]

Is this faulty circuit board connection inside the APIM, or elsewhere?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I thought that some form of an internal electronic/digital compass was a possibility, but the GPS antenna does make more more sense. [thumb]

Is this faulty circuit board connection inside the APIM, or elsewhere?
The connector on the board where the GPS antenna plugs in. The solder joints crack. Just need a little resolder.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The connector on the board where the GPS antenna plugs in. The solder joints crack. Just need a little resolder.

Thanks! [thumb]

That would explain the one time it was intermittent, and the compass functioned for a few minutes of driving, before going dead again. [wink]

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Thanks! [thumb]

That would explain the one time it was intermittent, and the compass functioned for a few minutes of driving, before going dead again. [wink]
That's my guess. I know I have a similar issue and I know I have some cracks on mine. Just haven't taken it apart to resolder yet.

OP
jodyr
Thread Starter #26
I think I'm going to just give up and give a Ford dealer $170 to complete the update. On Ford Sync support chat I suggested that we could try to break the package up and do it one version at a time, but Ford Sync support said this was not possible with the package I downloaded and they didn't offer any alternatives other than to take it to a dealer.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think I'm going to just give up and give a Ford dealer $170 to complete the update. On Ford Sync support chat I suggested that we could try to break the package up and do it one version at a time, but Ford Sync support said this was not possible with the package I downloaded and they didn't offer any alternatives other than to take it to a dealer.
Here's a thought: If they try to reflash it and it doesn't work, they can't charge you for it. They'll tell you you have to replace the whole unit, but you don't.
If you don't have the time/gear/skill/patience/etc., you know it probably just needs a little soldering.
It can be done for way less than $170.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's my guess. I know I have a similar issue and I know I have some cracks on mine. Just haven't taken it apart to resolder yet.

When you do, give us a how-to with pics. ;)
It may be something we'll all have to do, down the line.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Too bad you are not closer as I would try to help you but I just looked and you're in AZ and I'm in Florida. Good luck. You can at least buy the USB module and plug and play wiring adapter and do that yourself. That's a pretty easy job. Use a flat head to pop the old one out disconnect the wires, plug in the adapter and push the new USB module back in place.