Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tail of the Dragon - FiST Photos inside!!!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
^^^^i agree with the you on all the other roads...i went up in July for the tail, stayed in the dragons rest cabins. yeah it was an awesome experience, but there were so many other options. for starters i began the whole trip in Walhalla SC drove up to Robbinsville via the moonshiners' 28 which is 91 miles of curvy rd. I did the Cherahola skyway, which was great cuz i started real early in the morning and there wasnt anyone else on it at all. the road to clingmans dome is fantastic, but my favorite rd i found was the road to (river rd) to baby falls and bald river falls. Its towards the end of the cherohola. the speed limit is low but its curvy and going in you are right on the tellico river, and i mean right on it...one second of loss of attention and you and your car are going swimming. at the end of it tho there are these 2 amazing waterfalls (i ate lunch at baby falls and did a lil hike at bald river) If you can find it, go there, its worth it.
View attachment 36130
View attachment 36131
I know that waterfall.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

joesiris

i wanna try this next...its like 228 miles from me but its hundreds of miles of rd. the back of the dragon is 32 miles of it that is apparently similar to the tail
20201119_191303_resized.jpg
20201119_191411_resized[1590] (2).jpg

i wanna try this next...its like 228 miles from me but its hundreds of miles of rd. the back of the dragon is 32 miles of it that is apparently similar to the tail
View attachment 36292
View attachment 36293
Now that seems like it would be a blast take a week off of work and just cruse as a group on the whole thing and set like a goal for each day. Kinda like a group thing you could say. I don't think words would do it justice like driving it with the fist would. Hmmmm.... Who's in?

View attachment 36292
View attachment 36293
I live in the middle of the Galax loop.

South of I81, I would say most of those roads are average mountain roads and nothing too special. Fun if you are just looking for a drive. The “outer loop” up to Grayson Highlands and Mt Rogers are probably the best that I’m familiar with. The south part of the Wytheville loop is a lot of quick rights and lefts as the road follows between hills, a creek, and farms.

I’m not too familiar with the roads north of I81 so I can’t speak to those but the back of the dragon looks like the “best” section.

If you decide to head this way and need some company let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joesiris

id love to just live up in the mountains somewhere, you never know what's just around the corner, you could be on your way to some grocery store and all of a sudden your on a twisty rd...down here the best we have is the round about down the street

id love to just live up in the mountains somewhere, you never know what's just around the corner, you could be on your way to some grocery store and all of a sudden your on a twisty rd...down here the best we have is the round about down the street
Sadly most of the roads I drive on are in a valley/basin type area. 58 between Galax and Independence is a 4 lane highway with a 60mph speed limit so not a lot of fun happens there. Just a normal commute with nice scenery.

But head in any direction and you’ll eventually find some twisty bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Continental Extreme Contact Sports
^ Yes. I'm 100% stock drivetrain and suspension but used to spin all the time with the OEM Bridgestones. The Cooper much less so but I got rid of (still with new tread) because they punctured easily and couldn't be plugged... basically they couldn't keep air. The Continental Extreme Contact (215/45R17) so far have been a blast; not easily spun and more confidently hold corners. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Continental snow tires come Winter. Hoping they'll be good enough that I won't need snow tires but will see. Had to let a bunch of air out of my Cooper all season just to get up the hill and off the street where I live; whereas the dedicated Contential snow tires had no issues what so ever.