Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tarox B30 Bad brake squeal

I installed my Tarox BBK yesterday and installed it per the instructions. I needed up needed 2 shims on the passenger side and 1 on each on the driver side to get the rotor centered in the caliper. Bled the brakes and took it for a spin. After 1 block the brakes squeal really bad at low speeds as the car slows down. Light brake pressure. I did the 60 mph down to 30 per the instructions and the squeal went away, but it came back as soon as the brakes cooled. I got the street pads. The brakes work fine. No pulling, bo vibration just the noise, it’s so bad everyone turns their heads lol. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dialcaliper

Where did you put the caliper grease on the pads? It’s usually supposed to go on the outside of the pad shim (where it contacts the caliper pistons) but *not* between shim and pad for the anti-squeal shims to work properly.

I learned this the hard way on a different car. 🤣

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #3
Where did you put the caliper grease on the pads? It’s usually supposed to go on the outside of the pad shim (where it contacts the caliper pistons) but *not* between shim and pad for the anti-squeal shims to work properly.

I didn’t use any grease. I’m going to put some at the end of the day and check everything over

I had the tarox setup on my car and it did the same thing. The kit was already on the car when I got it so I'm not sure which pads were on it, but it may just be a side effect. That setup always stopped incredibly well.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #5
I had the tarox setup on my car and it did the same thing. The kit was already on the car when I got it so I'm not sure which pads were on it, but it may just be a side effect. That setup always stopped incredibly well.
I see, I have heard of some kits making noise after a certain amount of miles. I wouldn’t mind some squeak but this is just very obnoxiously loud lol

SteveS

1000 Post Club
You definitely need the grease. Here's a clip from a web page about the grease. Vibration=Squeal
Brake Grease can also be used to dampen vibrations between disc brake pads and caliper pistons. It should NOT be applied between the pads and any noise suppression shims. Use it sparingly on the back of a bare pad or between the pad shim and caliper.

I see, I have heard of some kits making noise after a certain amount of miles. I wouldn’t mind some squeak but this is just very obnoxiously loud lol
Mine sounded like an aggressive track pad, but I didn't know if it had to do with the shear size of it since it was such a large setup or what. Never looked into it. I now have a Whoosh 4 piston 285mm kit and they are whisper quiet!

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Mine sounded like an aggressive track pad, but I didn't know if it had to do with the shear size of it since it was such a large setup or what. Never looked into it. I now have a Whoosh 4 piston 285mm kit and they are whisper quiet!
What pads are you using? I've got EBC Blues and they are a bit squeaky.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
What pads are you using? I've got EBC Blues and they are a bit squeaky.
Thanks for figuring out what pads we use from EBC with whoosh kit btw. I hit them up for pads and they asked which ones - told them whatever size Jabbit ordered and they hooked it up

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Why use brake grease? This stuff is ALOT better at eliminating squeaking brakes.....

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05017-Di...ocphy=1020090&hvtargid=pla-568666809522&psc=1

Thanks for figuring out what pads we use from EBC with whoosh kit btw. I hit them up for pads and they asked which ones - told them whatever size Jabbit ordered and they hooked it up
I've used both Green stuff and Yellow stuff. Both whisper quiet pads, both are street pads:
https://ebcbrakes.com/products/automotive-brake-pads/

Blue being the street/track pad bridging the gap to their RP-1/X pads.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #14
I added some brake grease and re bled the brakes with no luck. I did take them for a drive doing the 50-30mph and when the brakes get hot the noise stops but comes back right away as it cools. I checked the clearance and everything looks good. I found the rear pads of a 2010 Camaro V8 should be the same so I’m going to try some EBC red stuff

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I've used both Green stuff and Yellow stuff. Both whisper quiet pads, both are street pads:
https://ebcbrakes.com/products/automotive-brake-pads/

Blue being the street/track pad bridging the gap to their RP-1/X pads.
Red is a street pad, yellow is a street/mild track, blue is a streetable track pad, then you get race-only pads after that.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #17
The pads showed some darker spots on the bottom of it, i wonder if it’s the rotor. I didn’t really clean the hub good. I will take off and clean and see if it does anything

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #18
Just an update. I installed EBC red stuff pads. I found out the Tarox pads for a B30 kit is the same as the rear pads off a 2010 Camaro 6.2L. It’s also found one some other Chevys and Jeeps. I just had to remove the brake wear indicator with some pliers and slapped them on. Brakes are now whisper quiet. DP31788C is the part number for EBC red. I’m also sure Yellow stuff is available and all the other colors.

kevinatfms

Wonder if you ordered the "Strada" pads but they sent the track pads instead. The symptoms were straight from past experience with heavy track pads that need heat to eliminate squeal.

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #20
Wonder if you ordered the "Strada" pads but they sent the track pads instead. The symptoms were straight from past experience with heavy track pads that need heat to eliminate squeal.
It’s possible, I heard the Corsa pads come default so maybe someone mixed them up.