Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TB Performance Bracing Initial Impressions/Long Term

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
First, the initial as at this moment Ive only had them on since Monday. I had the 4 Point Torque Gusset, Crossmember, and Torsion Bar installed along some while your in there stuff like 2L of Motul 300 Gear oil and Powerflex exhaust hangers.

I wanted yo get the chassis dialed in instead of going for short cuts.

Current Mods- Cobb AP running Stage 1 OTS tune, Drop in filter, Mountune Intake Tube, Whoosh Hard intake tube, TB Braces, 16x7 Wheels running bot awesome tires, Cobb RMM, Powerflex Streey Motor Mount inserts.

Initial impressions-

Ride: Oddly the car seems to track straighter and seems weirdly quiter on the freeway with stock suspension. Probably less vibration and flex translating into the cabin. It feels as if the bumps are now being distributed through the whole chassis vs deflecting and upsetting the car. Also means more feedback as to what the tires are doing. This leads to it being more composed on the freeway. I live in rural America thus the pot holes and cracks can be viscious in some areas. The car tracks over bumps better and doesnt dart when it hits pot holes as the suspension deflects.. Also as many have noted in TBs reviews the car now holds a line on a long sweeper without the rear dancing around the road. It also recovers faster when it is upset.

I chalk this all up to much less deflection of the suspension due to the increased chassis rigidity.

With a RMM, Powerflex Street inserts, and my torque gusset, torque steer is nearly gone. I can now feel the torque vectoring actually working because its tuned out the added "noise" of chassis flex, suspension deflection, motor movement, torque steer, and traction control herking and jerking the car around under hard acceleration. Its also highlighted I need better tires as my chassis now can quickly exceed the limit of the ones that came on the car. Snap oversteer is also much reduced.

One odd thing Ive noticed is that while it doesnt roll as much anymore in the corner I feel that some of that car rotation that makes the ST so fun to drive isnt as present or perceptable as it used to be. I find Ive not got a bit more oversteer at least to my perception.

Also under the same vain, Im not sure if its the cross member brace, torsion bar brace, or the combo of both but the front end feels far more planted and predicatable and less darty. Ive forwarded an email to Danny who is an awesome dude about what to do about getting some of the change of direction back.

Glad I went for chassis setup first vs suspension as this was the cheapest way and biggest change to a stock car onr can make. Short of a Stage 2 Tune w/ bolt on parts this has easily changes the whole car. Next move is a Whoosh FMIC and tune as the chassis can now handle the power.

Im torn between MeisterGR coilovers OR a Wavetrac LSD next once the stock power is taken it its logical stage to conclusion. Also need to tackle brake lines and pads for better feel along with tires. Also trying to decide between 17x8 wheels vs 16x7/8 wheels for tire choices. 16x7 gives me comfort but 17x8 seems to have more tire choices. Tires are a big need as this thing hooks up so much better now and can easily let go in the corners.

As I have more time on them and make changes to the chassis Ill report back on how the car responds.

Also as many have noted in TBs reviews the car now holds a line on a long sweeper without the rear dancing around the road. It also recovers faster when it is upset.
That sounds like a stellar change honestly. The more I've listened to / felt what my Fiesta is doing the more I'm wanting these kinds of tweaks. At first I wanted no oversteer, now I've come to love what the stock suspension setup allows for in terms of rotation, but just a little extra predictableness, or to take your term and call it noise reduction really has me thinking... Thank you for sharing your impressions, really useful to hear.

OP
M

Meckbot

U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #3
It was a dynamic change to the car. I'm of the mind that small changes to the car are tough to gauge. The way the car handles feels beyond its price range now.

I think where I'm lacking now heavily is RUBBER because I can now shag the tires easily in 2, 3rd, and even 4th if I'm coming out of a high speed corner. It needs legit rubber now.

In our experience, we picked up a lot of time at the track with the MeisterR, and then a whole another bunch with a clutch LSD. No experience with Wavetrac, but we did use a Quaife, and it was not as good as I would have liked. The time we found was going from a Quaife with MeisterR, to a clutch diff on the same suspension. I guess from my side, I would suggest MeisterR first then wavetrac. If you are looking for track performance, I would suggest the same order (suspension vs diff) but get a Gripper, Cusco, or Kaaz. The MeisterR GT1 are really nice, especially for the money, btw. The Quaife we spun the inside tire on track in anything 2nd gear, and some 3rd gear turns.