Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Best High Performance AS Tires

Possibly see maybe some snow. I’m taking what may be over a 2000 mile trip through different terrain and weather hence best hp as tires

Honestly I would run your summers and buy a set of cheap cable style snow chains, pray for no snow or avoid it.

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #62
Has anyone run AS/3+ and then a different hp as tire they think is better?

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #63
Honestly I would run your summers and buy a set of cheap cable style snow chains, pray for no snow or avoid it.
I am also concerned with rain and standing water. The ZIII’s are water skis through the smallest amount of standing water. Plus if it did get below 45 degrees the summer tires would perform terribly. Clever idea though

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #64
The Neo Gen's aren't bad in my opinion, I run those currently. Seems like a lot of the Miata guys run those for there DD's. I probably wouldn't run them as a track tire, but I think their street performance is great. However I am on a stock tune, sooo not sure about you high horsepower peeps. A few people on those forums have commented on their lack of traction in the rain but I've not noticed that at all, I've been through some daggum monsoons here recently and haven't had a problem
They are a possibility. Thanks for the info

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #65
For everyone’s edification who hasn’t seen my thread Road Trip, in October I will be traveling to Pikes Peak and then through Glacier National Park and into Washington to ride the twistys around Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier

I am also concerned with rain and standing water. The ZIII’s are water skis through the smallest amount of standing water. Plus if it did get below 45 degrees the summer tires would perform terribly. Clever idea though
I’ve always personally wondered about this. Obviously you would WANT to run winter tires in the scenario that you’d need chains, but if you’re running chains your tire is hardly contacting the road surface because of the chain...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MRX330
Thread Starter #67
I’ve always personally wondered about this. Obviously you would WANT to run winter tires in the scenario that you’d need chains, but if you’re running chains your tire is hardly contacting the road surface because of the chain...

Your tires actually disappear when you put chains on them

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The AS3+ is already the best all season tire you can buy... but I'm going for sticky so I'm getting $55 300tw ones and just change them out every couple of years... Nothing wrong with all season tires if you live where you don't get a lot of snow but do get a lot of rain and is fairly mild/chilly but not freezing in the winter too, especially if you're not tracking them anyway. I ignore the "no season" trolls, they are just tire snobs who just have to be right, of COURSE, it's ideal to have 2 sets, but not even close to the end of the world as some claim... And NO, all season tires are NOT illegal in some countries, they just don't count as winter tires in some countries where winter tires are REQUIRED in the winter.

If it bothers you then you can always change your tire size in Forscan.
What now?

The AS3+ is already the best all season tire you can buy... but I'm going for sticky so I'm getting $55 300tw ones and just change them out every couple of years... Nothing wrong with all season tires if you live where you don't get a lot of snow but do get a lot of rain and is fairly mild/chilly but not freezing in the winter too, especially if you're not tracking them anyway. I ignore the "no season" trolls, they are just tire snobs who just have to be right, of COURSE, it's ideal to have 2 sets, but not even close to the end of the world as some claim... And NO, all season tires are NOT illegal in some countries, they just don't count as winter tires in some countries where winter tires are REQUIRED in the winter.

You can call me a snob all you want, but this is the same lesson NASA learned with the Challenger space craft. Specific compounds perform optimally in a very specific temperature range, outside of that range you run into issues. Being that tires have one job, to provide friction, and that they are the only point of contact between you and the road, it seems really silly to advocate for All-Season tires. Sure, they aren’t always going to be as bad as people make them out to be, but that’s the catch 22, they’re never as good as anyone who has driven on dedicated summer or winter rubber comes to expect in the appropriate temp range.

All I’m saying is that you bought a performance car, asking about all season tires on this car is like asking how hard it would be to swap the naturally aspirated 1.6 from the base fiesta in. Anyone could do it, and I’m sure the motor isn’t “THAT bad” but why even bother? You bought a car specifically for its promise of performance, why dumb it down? At that point just get an ST line.

Now if we’re all done taking shots at each other, there have been several recommendations and from my time in the world of tires I know the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is getting old, they are good but hardly the performance all season benchmark that they used to be 6 years ago.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
What now?

You can call me a snob all you want, but this is the same lesson NASA learned with the Challenger space craft. Specific compounds perform optimally in a very specific temperature range, outside of that range you run into issues. Being that tires have one job, to provide friction, and that they are the only point of contact between you and the road, it seems really silly to advocate for All-Season tires. Sure, they aren’t always going to be as bad as people make them out to be, but that’s the catch 22, they’re never as good as anyone who has driven on dedicated summer or winter rubber comes to expect in the appropriate temp range.

All I’m saying is that you bought a performance car, asking about all season tires on this car is like asking how hard it would be to swap the naturally aspirated 1.6 from the base fiesta in. Anyone could do it, and I’m sure the motor isn’t “THAT bad” but why even bother? You bought a car specifically for its promise of performance, why dumb it down? At that point just get an ST line.

Now if we’re all done taking shots at each other, there have been several recommendations and from my time in the world of tires I know the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is getting old, they are good but hardly the performance all season benchmark that they used to be 6 years ago.
But man, if someone isn't TRACKING their car, are you even going to notice? Did you even consider that OP may not either? I have all the grip I can handle with the factory AS3 (not even +), maybe they do too... Of course it's ridiculous to expect them perform on the track, absolutely, but you have to ask yourself "am I getting all the grip the grip I need"... Well, since I live in a rainy state in a mild area, mine were dealer ordered with the all season option so I know what I have. I have no plans to track my car, seriously anyway, I did go drag racing once as my friends pushed me to, but I can live with my limitations, I don't push it ... But yes, in Forscan you can change your tire size, I just haven't looked close enough at that specific option to see which options are on there and my 2 month free trial is over.

Last edited:
But man, if someone isn't TRACKING their car, are you even going to notice? Did you even consider that OP may not either? I have all the grip I can handle with the factory AS3 (not even +), maybe they do too... Of course it's ridiculous to expect them perform on the track, absolutely, but you have to ask yourself "am I getting all the grip the grip I need"... Well, since I live in a rainy state in a mild area, mine were dealer ordered with the all season option so I know what I have. I have no plans to track my car, seriously anyway, I did go drag racing once as my friends pushed me to, but I can live with my limitations, I don't push it ... But yes, in Forscan you can change your tire size, I just haven't looked close enough at that specific option to see which options are on there and my 2 month free trial is over.
Track or no, there are situations where even more grip is helpful. Emergency lane changes and emergency braking situations happen, the more grip you have available the better suited your car is to react to either of those things. I get that most people will never see a track, but all you need is one bad accident to make it so that you’ll never drive again, or worse.

Personally I look at tires as a safety thing, sure they add to performance, but as I said before they are the only thing connecting your car to the road.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Track or no, there are situations where even more grip is helpful. Emergency lane changes and emergency braking situations happen, the more grip you have available the better suited your car is to react to either of those things. I get that most people will never see a track, but all you need is one bad accident to make it so that you’ll never drive again, or worse.

Personally I look at tires as a safety thing, sure they add to performance, but as I said before they are the only thing connecting your car to the road.
Fair enough man, we can agree to disagree... I've had to make a few emergency maneuvers and have driven some twisty's quite hard but have had no issues with grip, at any time, whatsoever with my AS3's, they have not let me down even once... maybe you just have to get top of the line all season's like that, likely cheap ones are not even close to as capable, just sharing my thoughts and my experience.

I'll preface this by saying I'm new to my Fiesta so everything i'm about to say is in context of my WRX but I think the logic transfers...Snow isn't the only factor in using a tire in the winter. Temperature is important and where I live we almost never see snow but it gets cold enough for months at time that a summer tire is not up to the task. I like the year round consistency of my AS3+ even on the coldest day. They're also great throughout the summer and i see very little drop off in handling ON THE ROAD even on the hottest summer day. Take them to an autocross or the track and that's a different story. I've autocrossed AS3+ tires and it's a definite disadvantage, but they're no slouch either and you'd be surprised what a GOOD performance AS tire can do on a capable car. Back when I raced more i stuck to my UHP Summer tires, but these days that is a rare occurance for me (and most who would even be considering this question). But on twisty mountain roads I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much. I also really like that from a tread wear standpoint they last at least twice as long as most summer tires. So I'm okay with saving money considering most of the time my car's job is to take me to work, the grocery store, the gym, or wherever and the AS3+ has plenty of grip for this task.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'll preface this by saying I'm new to my Fiesta so everything i'm about to say is in context of my WRX but I think the logic transfers...Snow isn't the only factor in using a tire in the winter. Temperature is important and where I live we almost never see snow but it gets cold enough for months at time that a summer tire is not up to the task. I like the year round consistency of my AS3+ even on the coldest day. They're also great throughout the summer and i see very little drop off in handling ON THE ROAD even on the hottest summer day. Take them to an autocross or the track and that's a different story. I've autocrossed AS3+ tires and it's a definite disadvantage, but they're no slouch either and you'd be surprised what a GOOD performance AS tire can do on a capable car. Back when I raced more i stuck to my UHP Summer tires, but these days that is a rare occurance for me (and most who would even be considering this question). But on twisty mountain roads I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much. I also really like that from a tread wear standpoint they last at least twice as long as most summer tires. So I'm okay with saving money considering most of the time my car's job is to take me to work, the grocery store, the gym, or wherever and the AS3+ has plenty of grip for this task.
Very well said, in my case, exact same weather conditions apply 35-45 in the winter with lots of cold rain and rainy springs too. I know that main summer tires are decent in the rain too, but still, I'll be under 50 degrees a lot and not enough snow where I live at all to justify an entire 2nd set of tires, especially when I work from home, so no commute and we have 2 smaller SUV's with AWD to get around in the winter, so all season absolutely have they're place in certain circumstances for sure. So, to replace my factory AS3's, I'm going to try a cheap and sticky 300tw all season and see how they do. I only expect them to last 20k at most and that's fine, especially at only $320 all 4 installed, LOL, but then again I'm not going to be racing other than maybe drags for fun, but some twisty back roads to for sure

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Before I had the fiesta I never had a summer tire before I would never put an all-season tire on it. The difference in a summer tire is real it's something I had never tried before with the other vehicles there is a legit difference. Now am I saying put a summer tire on a truck or SUV absolutely not there's plenty of great all season tires out there. For a vehicle that is all about handling having a tire that can grip like hell is a no-brainer to me.
Now on to snow tires if you actually need them it's been proven a good snow tire on a 2 wheel drive vehicle will outperform a all wheel drive vehicle with a good set of all seasons.
There's one last category all-weather tires there's not many out there it's basically a all-season tire that is geared more towards snow, but doesn't turn to unusable much during the summer. This would be good for people who live in unpredictable climates and don't necessarily need a full on snow tire.
In my opinion summer tires on this car definitely worth it. I have had so called high performance all season tires in the past on other vehicles it's not on the same level it's just not. I push my car's hard when it comes to handling I take corners fast. I could destroy a set of all-season tires on a regular car in 15,000 miles without thinking about it. Honestly the summer tires are lasting longer than I thought they would.

To each their own I couldn't care less what any of y'all do.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Before I had the fiesta I never had a summer tire before I would never put an all-season tire on it. The difference in a summer tire is real it's something I had never tried before with the other vehicles there is a legit difference. Now am I saying put a summer tire on a truck or SUV absolutely not there's plenty of great all season tires out there. For a vehicle that is all about handling having a tire that can grip like hell is a no-brainer to me.
Now on to snow tires if you actually need them it's been proven a good snow tire on a 2 wheel drive vehicle will outperform a all wheel drive vehicle with a good set of all seasons.
There's one last category all-weather tires there's not many out there it's basically a all-season tire that is geared more towards snow, but doesn't turn to unusable much during the summer. This would be good for people who live in unpredictable climates and don't necessarily need a full on snow tire.
In my opinion summer tires on this car definitely worth it. I have had so called high performance all season tires in the past on other vehicles it's not on the same level it's just not. I push my car's hard when it comes to handling I take corners fast. I could destroy a set of all-season tires on a regular car in 15,000 miles without thinking about it. Honestly the summer tires are lasting longer than I thought they would.

To each their own I could care less what any of y'all do.

If you could care less that means you care a lot, such a wholesome community [emoji3059][emoji3059][emoji3059]

Ok, let’s unpack this here.

Temperature is an extremely important consideration to consider when it comes to a tires ability to perform, in fact if you are seeing snow in a large amount the general recommendation isn’t to run a winter tire, it’s to run a studded tire or to use chains. Bare winter tires are for use on clean/wet or lightly snowy asphalt in below 50 degree F temperature ranges. Any driving surface with more than an inch of standing snow and it is strongly recommended to use chains/studded tires. The moment the word ice is in the equation all season tires are simply not up to the task. Ice is a completely different ball game and even the best all season tires are a death sentence at anything over a crawling speed. I’m the end even on non-snowy road conditions once you’re below about 50 degrees a winter tire is preferable to an all season wet or dry. That’s a result of the rubber compounds in the tire and their flexibility at a given temp.

I have the AS 3+ on my car and I absolutely think they are an OK tire. The only reason they are on my car is because they were on the car when i bought it and I can’t bring myself to throw out a usable tire that I already paid for. I think a lot of people are glossing over the fact that all season can do ok but are never as good as a winter tire or summer tire in their respective optimal temperature ranges. Even if the butt dyno doesn’t notice a difference in grip, it’s there because very few of us can actually drive the car at 10 tenths reliably.

So it all comes back to why you bought the car. If you weren’t trying to get as much performance as your dollar could get, why not go with an ST line? Why spend money on an average product if there are better ones available for not much more money? I understand that’s a compromise some are willing to make, but why even ask about it if you know that it inherently is a compromise?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Ok, let’s unpack this here.

Temperature is an extremely important consideration to consider when it comes to a tires ability to perform, in fact if you are seeing snow in a large amount the general recommendation isn’t to run a winter tire, it’s to run a studded tire or to use chains. Bare winter tires are for use on clean/wet or lightly snowy asphalt in below 50 degree F temperature ranges. Any driving surface with more than an inch of standing snow and it is strongly recommended to use chains/studded tires. The moment the word ice is in the equation all season tires are simply not up to the task. Ice is a completely different ball game and even the best all season tires are a death sentence at anything over a crawling speed. I’m the end even on non-snowy road conditions once you’re below about 50 degrees a winter tire is preferable to an all season wet or dry. That’s a result of the rubber compounds in the tire and their flexibility at a given temp.

I have the AS 3+ on my car and I absolutely think they are an OK tire. The only reason they are on my car is because they were on the car when i bought it and I can’t bring myself to throw out a usable tire that I already paid for. I think a lot of people are glossing over the fact that all season can do ok but are never as good as a winter tire or summer tire in their respective optimal temperature ranges. Even if the butt dyno doesn’t notice a difference in grip, it’s there because very few of us can actually drive the car at 10 tenths reliably.

So it all comes back to why you bought the car. If you weren’t trying to get as much performance as your dollar could get, why not go with an ST line? Why spend money on an average product if there are better ones available for not much more money? I understand that’s a compromise some are willing to make, but why even ask about it if you know that it inherently is a compromise?

I have to make one comment here I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.
Studded tires are illegal in quite a few places they are not allowed on the road. Same deal with snow chains. My wife is from Syracuse well a small city outside of Syracuse. Syracuse New York receives more snowfall than any place in the country regular snow tires do just fine. Ice is a different story studded, or snow chains would be great but legal issue once again.
We don't live in Siberia.