Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Best High Performance AS Tires

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So your eyesight *adds* visibility huh? LOL, wow, I won't even go there but that's fine we all have our priorities, and that helps make my point, I'm not gonna *bash* on for that... but it's been explained to you before man, occasionally capitalized words are for EMPHASIS, every word capitalized is shouting, come on... But now I'm doing those little *stars* just for you, OK? LOL

And no, you didn't name call, you have kept things within check, but for the other guy to say why just buy an ST Line if we run all season's absolutely *is* insulting and elitist.
I have very sensitive eyes to light probably because my pupils over dilate. So if your eyes take in more light yes that would increase your visibility. I have to wear sunglasses if there's any light out whatsoever. We are all different. Example I don't know how people drive without sunglasses the light is blinding to me.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I have very sensitive eyes to light probably because my pupils over dilate. So if your eyes take in more light yes that would increase your visibility. I have to wear sunglasses if there's any light out whatsoever. We are all different. Example I don't know how people drive without sunglasses the light is blinding to me.

Same here. I can't even leave the house without sun glasses.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I hear you, I'm the same way, very sensitive eyes for sure, absolutely need sunglasses 80% of the time driving in the day, even rainy/cloudy Oregon, hehe... but you still can't see what is not visible, but that's OK, again we make our own choices with our mods, no biggie. I respect your opinion on the subject of tires, and again, you didn't push it as far as the other guy did. Every decision with our car is a compromise or we would all drive Ferrari's or drive 140 MPH all the time or whatnot, I just strongly feel that very good UHP all seasons absolutely are good enough for many of us, they aren't a compromise for how we drive, even driving pretty hard. In my case, to replace my factory AS3's, I'm going with cheap 215/40/17 tires in 300tw, so wider and stickier, will likely use the higher end of the psi range for pressure. Eventually I *will* get another set of wheels and have winter tires, or maybe in reverse, have a set of summer performance and 2nd set as all seasons for mild winter use.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There is no such thing as an all season tire lol

Two sets of tires is the way to go, one set for summer, and one set for winter.
Just to fill you in, we all have agreed that 2 sets are the best way to go... but some of us live where the entire spectrum of temperature for the year is mainly between 40-80 degrees with mild winters and also don't track the car. In this case, "all season", which definitely aren't winter or all-out summer performance tires, can be a good way to go. I know I have a blast with this little thing, out handling previous cars I've had with summer performance tires easily. And not to go too far off track, like with brakes, some of us are fine with the 7/10 bite of ceramics over the 8/10 bite of semi-metallic's for the benefit of 95% less dust and less fade. So we all make our choices on where to compromise, and researching the best all seasons should be considered a good topic of discussion without some people telling us we should have bought an ST Line (which only just now came out for one year anyway) just because we choose to run all seasons on our sporty version of an economy utility car.

And again, doesn't matter if the tires are slightly limited, the whole entire car is far superior still over some base model... do you buy $400 tires because they are slightly better than $150 tires? We drive a fucking Fiesta, not a god damn Ferrari here, since you apparently don't realize this. Where do we draw that line? Do you have $2000 coilovers? No? well, you're just limiting the car, so why did you buy an ST? Have you bought every brace possible? Should I go on? And just like someone else said, where I like the weather could be 40 one day and 60 the next with very little snow and ice, I would literally be swapping them out constantly. It's just stupid to think that UHP all seasons just *cripple* the car to the point that you think you have to question why we bought an ST. And regardless, if someone is asking *which* all season tire to use, it *is* trolling to continue to just bash on all of us trying to have a conversation about it, you need to learn some forum etiquette. I have had to un-sub from threads when I realized I wasn't welcome any more, happens to all of us.
Ok let’s talk elitism. You are advocating the purchase of an inferior performing tire that people will end up paying around $650 to install. I’m recommending that you buy two dedicated seasonal tires, summers will end up around $450 and winters can be found for even cheaper if you get resourceful and grab a few used rims of a Fiesta SE from a junkyard. Worst case scenario, you end up paying maybe $200 more to have both better performing and safer tires. Doesn’t sound that elitist if you ask me.

So far this has been your entire argument:
via Imgflip Meme Generator

According to you Ferrari owners are the only ones who put summer rubber on. This is an asinine statement and like most of your counter arguments it only serves to highlight your ignorance of the matter. Again, coil overs braces, and brakes... pretty much anything you mod on this car becomes a worthless mod without the proper tire. I don’t know why you keep on bringing up any mods if you aren’t willing to properly tire your car. There is very minimal benefit to ANY of those mods unless you put a good tire on the car. This is not a hill to die on, it’s just a bad counter argument.

Additionally the 40 one day 60 next is a bad example. You run winter tires in this scenario because it would be safer. 10 degrees above the threshold isn’t too far, and they’ll still perform. Now when it gets to be 70-80 for a few days straight then you can clearly swap, but none of this is rocket science so you don’t need to treat it like it is.

So please, continue making a straw man of my argument. You seem to enjoy taking everything personally, frankly I’ve made a suggestion for a decent AS tire. I’m also trying to educate people on why it isn’t beneficial to run AS tires, even though, to borrow words from you, it’s only a Fiesta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right that putting performance all season tires on your St is a compromise but it's ridiculous to say you might as well have bought an ST line instead. Buying a Fiesta ST is a compromise in and of itself. It's not a track car, its a sporty hatchback that gets me to work and has fun on twisty roads and isn't out of place at an autocross. It's got room to put crap in the back and a nice enough stereo, AC etc. If true performance was all that mattered then for the same price I could buy something rear wheel drive, put in a cage, track suspension, rip out the interior, and go nuts with the stickiest tire I could find. But that's not the goal for most of us. You talk about compromises but you're compromising performance by hauling around back seats, and a passenger seat, and a spare tire, and a radio, and on and on.

I also come back to the fact that AS3+ last twice as long as my Super Sports did. So if I buy tires half as often i'm saving a significant amount of money, as least a few hundred. I'll happily sacrifice a second or two on my favorite mountain road a few times a year for twice the tread life. But interestingly I never have trouble keeping up with friends in similar cars with summer tires on those days anyway.
Buddy all I’m saying is that none of those mods matter unless you have decent tires on your car. Of course your AS is going to last longer it’s a harder rubber compound. Harder rubber doesn’t grip as well as softer rubber but it does last longer. That becomes a non issue if you swap tires seasonally because you can’t wear a tire out that isn’t being used. And we could get into treadwear debates over this but I’d certainly be willing to argue that a set of summer and winter tires would outlast a single set of all seasons, because in my experience they do.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ok let’s talk elitism. You are advocating the purchase of an inferior performing tire that people will end up paying around $650 to install. I’m recommending that you buy two dedicated seasonal tires, summers will end up around $450 and winters can be found for even cheaper if you get resourceful and grab a few used rims of a Fiesta SE from a junkyard. Worst case scenario, you end up paying maybe $200 more to have both better performing and safer tires. Doesn’t sound that elitist if you ask me.

So far this has been your entire argument:
via Imgflip Meme Generator

According to you Ferrari owners are the only ones who put summer rubber on. This is an asinine statement and like most of your counter arguments it only serves to highlight your ignorance of the matter. Again, coil overs braces, and brakes... pretty much anything you mod on this car becomes a worthless mod without the proper tire. I don’t know why you keep on bringing up any mods if you aren’t willing to properly tire your car. There is very minimal benefit to ANY of those mods unless you put a good tire on the car. This is not a hill to die on, it’s just a bad counter argument.

So please, continue making a straw man of my argument. You seem to enjoy taking everything personally, frankly I’ve made a suggestion for a decent AS tire. I’m also trying to educate people on why it isn’t beneficial to run AS tires, even though, to borrow words from you, it’s only a Fiesta.
You may have thrown in some knowledge at points, but you also said we should just buy an ST Line if we don't run summer tires, which is ridiculous. This is an economy utility hatchback, and using all seasons is very much a reasonable compromise. To clarify, my point is that every single decision about any car is a compromise, there is no need to relentlessly bash this particular one. The tires I'm getting will be $320 installed for all 4, LOL, I really don'care what people think, it's in a wider 215/40/17 size and pretty sticky at 300tw, and there is nothing wrong with that. One can still enjoy having an ST when you don't need 100% of the possible grip available, nothing wrong with only having 80% of the grip possible either. I do agree to get the *most* out of the car, yes, you need summer performance tires. Eventually, I'll likely have one set of summer tires and one set of all seasons for our mild winters, so there is that always use of all seasons as well, they make a better option for a 2nd set than winter tires for those of us with mild winters. So maybe that's worth considering too, that many of us may want an all season instead of winter tire for our winter/rainy season 2nd set.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
WOW, it seems many people have a reading comprehension problems, I don't need the expense of the OEM tire even though I loved the performance but used the car very little in the cold due to its temp limitations. Replacement costs were outrageous and performance test readily available showed there are really good AS tires available at reasonable prices. Every person must make tire choices based on how they drive and where. Here in E.TN we deal with heavy rains, curvy mountain roads and deadly drop offs on many roads I drive. Add to that the occasional snow and ice we have here. Anyone that drives a road with hundreds of feet of drop off at 10/10ths is insane. Other locations like S. CA and AZ has lots of high speed curves that will give you a flat run off if you go in too hot and simply take out a few cacti. How I drove in AZ is totally different in E. TN and W. NC! My top priority is wet handling, the oems were great but prices were a joke, I get free Goodyears but they discontinued our tire size in a performance tire. So third choice for me was a simple decision with available test results. $1200-1300 for oems or $550 for the top rated AS per tests. They drive the same roads at the same speed as the OEM's at a much lower price and I can drive the car in the winter temps. We get little snow but lots of ice and low temps. So two sets of wheels and tires needed if a daily driver. I have no job and no reason to drive the FiST in the bad weather any longer and I don't. I hope also not to have to replace another oem tire and wheel due to potholes. So in my case it was a no brainer, I get the same performance on roads like the Tail of the Dragon, winter usage, less noise and better ride.Summer only tires give me nothing over my choice in AS tires and saves me money to use for more long road trips.

FWIW, just back from 3000 mile road trip in my Wife's Mustang GT/CS with AS tires. Wrung it out on some of the best mountain roads I have driven and handling/braking was great. Would one with Summer tires have been microscopically faster, would have more to do with the driver than tire I'm sure. Worth the $4000 they would have cost and harder ride if we could have got it? (Is not available on the GT/CS). Not to me or her. And if you want a good laugh the stock Mustang with the same AS tires we have pulled a 3.99 0-60 and 11.99 in the 1/4 by increasing rear tire pressure to 45 lbs. Only change from stock car. Beating the times of the same car with Hoosier Street slicks. Todays AS tires are an order of magnitude above AS tires in the past. Ford put them on the Mustang GT/CS because they work really well for a performance/luxury car. My daughters new FiST has the AS tires and in real world driving and traffic circle Grand Prix it kept up with mine with OEM's. Ride was much better too. Many of us do not live in S. CA.....we live in mountains, nasty weather and deadly roads. Most do not race or autocross nor "tune" the car and will not spend time and money on two sets of tires. These summer tires only posts seem to be blind to other people's needs and the quality of AS performance tires. Under my conditions AS tires on my ST will enhance the enjoyment of its abilities not harm it! And the $$ saved paid for another long road trip to great roads. I intend to drive my FiST not admire it sitting in the driveway. [wrenchin]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm now offended. You have hurt my car's feelings. The fiesta is a economy car.
The Fiesta ST is a very special car, a car we will probably never have an opportunity to ever buy again. The Fiesta ST is not a economy utility hatchback.
The Fiesta ST is a very special hot hatchback that happens to be affordable.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I'm now offended. You have hurt my car's feelings. The fiesta is a economy car.
The Fiesta ST is a very special car, a car we will probably never have an opportunity to ever buy again. The Fiesta ST is not a economy utility hatchback.
The Fiesta ST is a very special hot hatchback that happens to be affordable.

Well, even a base Fiesta handles really well for an economy car, but the fact is we have the same car as that with stiffer suspension and a turbo... Yes, it makes it rare for our country, but my point still stands in general; It's a $18-22k car brand new, so while affordable and a rare option, it's still overall an economy car, despite it indeed handling and steering amazing for what it is... Also, we can't assume that people want an all season for year round either, they make great cold and rainy season tires too, so that's 6 months of the year for me, so all seasons could be used half the year where I live and summer tires the other half, so that is worth discussing too, as an option to a winter tire.

Mods don't matter without a summer tire? So if I added 100hp to my car but I don't change my tires I wont go any faster? That's weird...
You’ve heard of this thing called wheel spin, yes?

Granted, at 300 HP you may be able to put the power down in 4th with no issues but you’ve essentially made power delivery on 50% of your gear ratios worse. Additionally, in this scenario, an extra 100hp isn’t going to help you very much in a performance aspect based on the fact that you corner entry speeds will remain lower than what your car could be capable of if you had a proper tire. That extra horsepower will also have an exponentially larger effect on your brakes because you now have to scrub off more speed, but you don’t have better traction so your braking zones just became larger. In addition heat soak on the brakes is going to be worse because of that.

It’s a balancing act, tires are the one thing that helps with everything, talk to anyone who drives on a track and they will tell you tires are the first upgrade you make. This also gives drivers on public roads the additional benefit of more traction so that you are less likely to lose control of the car and in the event that you need to stop you’ll stop quicker even with stock brakes.

e thing that helps with everything, talk to anyone who drives on a track and they will tell you tires are the first upgrade you make. This also gives drivers on public roads the additional benefit of more traction
Well said. And thanks for supporting my original point, which is... EVERYTHING in a car is a compromise.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You’ve heard of this thing called wheel spin, yes?

Granted, at 300 HP you may be able to put the power down in 4th with no issues but you’ve essentially made power delivery on 50% of your gear ratios worse. Additionally, in this scenario, an extra 100hp isn’t going to help you very much in a performance aspect based on the fact that you corner entry speeds will remain lower than what your car could be capable of if you had a proper tire. That extra horsepower will also have an exponentially larger effect on your brakes because you now have to scrub off more speed, but you don’t have better traction so your braking zones just became larger. In addition heat soak on the brakes is going to be worse because of that.

It’s a balancing act, tires are the one thing that helps with everything, talk to anyone who drives on a track and they will tell you tires are the first upgrade you make. This also gives drivers on public roads the additional benefit of more traction so that you are less likely to lose control of the car and in the event that you need to stop you’ll stop quicker even with stock brakes.
Thanks for moving into more details, and you're right... but I'm also going to go stickier 300tw too, you said at one point you didn't want to get into that, but you see summer performance tires are in the 140-200tw range, so wouldn't moving down from a 460 to 300tw help with traction too? Again, I'm being honest and going cheap, but at only $320 a set installed I don't mind replacing them every 20k if they are decently sticky and perform well for my needs.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Unfortunately treadwear ratings don'ts have a set standard. So a 200 Michelin would not be the same as a 200 Goodyear.
Plenty of summer tires in the 300 range as well.