The Great Quest for Headlights

TheStig

Member ID
My LED foglights from ModBargains showed up yesterday! Have not opened the box yet but ill hopefully put them in this weekend, excited.

Chris G

Member ID
Anyone know if you need to aim the Luxeons before installing them or at they pretty decent out of the box?

TheStig

Member ID
Anyone know if you need to aim the Luxeons before installing them or at they pretty decent out of the box?
Good question, also Chris if you can give a quick walkthrough and any tricks or tips on the install. That way i can cheat when i install mine lol

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Member ID
There is no aiming on the fogs buti know the diode dynamics you must install the lamps so that the logo/text on the lamp is readable (correct orientation). The text denotes bottom.

Chris G

Member ID
Good question, also Chris if you can give a quick walkthrough and any tricks or tips on the install. That way i can cheat when i install mine lol
I watched the Diode video and it looks pretty straight forward. We will see!

TheStig

Member ID
I watched the Diode video and it looks pretty straight forward. We will see!
Was the video on the modbargains page? Link?

EDIT: Nevermind found the Focus ST install video, thought we were able to do this with the bumper still on. DOH.

Chris G

Member ID
I just installed mine. My only recommendation is to watch the configuration of the wires on the plug. I messed mine up (reversed them) the first go around. He mentions 'right side' for red in the video and I misunderstood (oops). Needless to say, I finally was able to disconnect the wires again (took me a bit and I hope I didn't mess anything up) and reconfigured the right way.

All looks good now and they are BRIGHT.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Was the video on the modbargains page? Link?

EDIT: Nevermind found the Focus ST install video, thought we were able to do this with the bumper still on. DOH.
Go to the diode dynamic webpage there is a Fiesta video MUCH easier as everything is from the wheel well.

TheStig

Member ID
Shit i assumed bumper removal was required so i didnt do it today. Lol figures, oh well maybe this next weekend i will along with my LED headlight upgrade.

Appreciate the link!

Chris G

Member ID
No sweat. :)

Oddly enough I installed yesterday but didn't take it out for a spin in the dark last night.

I'm still waiting on my backordered Xenon Depot LED headlight kit. :(

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Member ID
It is funny.
With all the controversy over the use of HIDs why is nothing said about LED replacement headlights?

The LED replacement lights are even more directional than HIDs.
Therefore they distort the cut line/beam pattern as bad if not worse than HIDs when used in a standard reflector headlight assembly.
Even projector type assembles that were not specifically designed to use HIDs or LEDs do not work correctly.

Here in California both HID and LEDs are illegal unless the OE housing was designed to use them.

Personally I don't care what you use or how you build your car, that of course is your responsibility.
I was just adding information for the "Forum Headlight Police" to get hot about.

Dave

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Member ID
Ran them for hours last night around a lake. Bug guts covering the front. I properly aligned them and buddies did not have any problem either comming at me or being followed. They liked the white light compared to yellow.

TheStig

Member ID
It is funny.
With all the controversy over the use of HIDs why is nothing said about LED replacement headlights?

The LED replacement lights are even more directional than HIDs.
Therefore they distort the cut line/beam pattern as bad if not worse than HIDs when used in a standard reflector headlight assembly.
Even projector type assembles that were not specifically designed to use HIDs or LEDs do not work correctly.

Here in California both HID and LEDs are illegal unless the OE housing was designed to use them.

Personally I don't care what you use or how you build your car, that of course is your responsibility.
I was just adding information for the "Forum Headlight Police" to get hot about.

Dave
All pictures ive seen of the LED kit shows a fairly clean cutoff in fact, where alot of HID's do scatter. But it would be fair to assume that a cheap HID kit will scatter light and blind yourself/others, where as a quality drop in HID kit may not do that at all, or just far less.

The fact remains anytime someone is behind me or passing me with a drop in HID kit in their non-projector headlights it blinds me to death. But these kits do not appear to do that at all.

Maybe if i just purchased 25$ drop in LED bulbs into my headlights they may blind just the same, this appears to have some good data and testing behind it.

Chris G

Member ID
All the stuff I've seen say it's not bad. I figure if it is bad, I'll sell em.

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Are there any options for a projector style headlight other then the euro fiesta st headlights, and retrofits? Personally I really want a projector on this car. I feel it really makes it look a lot more modern

Member ID
Are there any options for a projector style headlight other then the euro fiesta st headlights, and retrofits? Personally I really want a projector on this car. I feel it really makes it look a lot more modern
None yet. There's no company making production aftermarket options.