Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Compared to other cars I've had this 2019 FiST has the most plastic cracking noises when it's freezing cold and the heater gets hot. Loud snapping cracks, lol. I'm sure they are using a different formulation these days to save money...and/or how they fit the ducting pieces.

Fixed the creaking and rubbing issue of the Versus rear diffuser. The mounting height was the culprit. I couldn't figure out the actual rubbing point (turns out it was on the rear anti-sway bar) until we actually took the rear anti-sway bar off. I didn't figure it out until then because they were so close together that it was impossible to see between them without doing that. Did that today with lots of help. The three bolts that mount the diffuser to the single bracket next to the anti-sway bar were clipping it badly going over speed bumps, driveways, or just leaving my garage. The clearance of the bracket and the sway bar are different when the car is on jacks as opposed to sitting on the ground.

The third bolt (closest to the passenger side) was just....gone. Our best guess is it completely sheared off at some point (red arrow). The other two bolts were still on tight....although I couldn't take them off with the Allen key, as they rubbed down so much that the hole was totally deformed. After we got those off, we pushed the diffuser as high as it would mount. Also, mounting the diffuser on the rear of the bracket, as opposed to the front of the bracket, in order to give just another mm or two extra clearance for the bolts to be away from the sway bar. Took it out for a test drive. Quiet as a quarantined church mouse. Thank God that's dealt with and over.

New update: It wasn't the rear diffuser at all. It was the freaking rear anti-sway bar. Was it rubbing against the diffuser before...yes. But after that it still made the same noises with no rubbing. It was just the damn bar flexing/creaking/squeaking with the smallest of movements like, going over speed bumps, driveways, and just getting in and out of the car. Took that off right quick, I did.

stHawaii

I'm not sure what word I'd use to describe this noise... maybe it's a rattle? I notice it whenever I make tight right turns, such as on a curved onramp. Have taken it to my local Ford dealership and was told by the service department that neither technicians nor their manager could hear it. I've attached a short clip of the sound - has anyone heard something like this from their car? TIA

Attachments

I'm not sure what word I'd use to describe this noise... maybe it's a rattle? I notice it whenever I make tight right turns, such as on a curved onramp. Have taken it to my local Ford dealership and was told by the service department that neither technicians nor their manager could hear it. I've attached a short clip of the sound - has anyone heard something like this from their car? TIA
It's very difficult to tell by that video, especially not being in the car to hear it. Where does it sound like it's coming from? Cross reference that with where in the car does it physically feel like it's coming from? From the sound and it only happens in the turn, I want to say it's either the brake pads are low on one side and it rubbing on the disc (I have had that issue before), or the CV boot (if we even have one?). Otherwise it could be something loose in the boot of the car. Is the spare tire locked down tight? I know I took mine out to save weight.

My car has a squeeking noise when the air is on. i think it may just be the blower motor? the actuator flap doesnt have that flapping sound that others have an issue with.

My car has a squeeking noise when the air is on. i think it may just be the blower motor? the actuator flap doesnt have that flapping sound that others have an issue with.

"actuator flap" ...is that the knocking sound when you start the car up and it sounds like a midget stuck in the dash is trying to send Morse code?

"actuator flap" ...is that the knocking sound when you start the car up and it sounds like a midget stuck in the dash is trying to send Morse code?
yeah, i dont have that issue. sounds like bearings going bad... like a dog in pain draggin his arse on some rough carpet at 2am.

My knocking sound (the midget), I've had fixed under warranty a couple years ago....but it's back as of two weeks ago. Every single time I start the car, within 5 seconds it's banging for about 20-25 hits, then shuts up.

Ok, so I took Clarkson in for the door latch recall that's going on. They also looked at the banging noise in the dash. Just as I suspected, it's the same exact part failure they replaced while it was under warranty 4 years ago. I am a year outside of warranty now (and I only have 37k miles). It's an air flow actuator motor. Apparently there are 3 inside the dash. The one deep in the center of the dash is the culprit. $65 part....$765 labor! What?...WHAT! Ya....no thanks. Has anyone removed/put back together their dash before, AND does anyone want to do it for me? I will pay for your time and assist you (not the Ford price, but a healthy percentage of it). Please, DM me if interested. We will discuss.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Ok, so I took Clarkson in for the door latch recall that's going on. They also looked at the banging noise in the dash. Just as I suspected, it's the same exact part failure they replaced while it was under warranty 4 years ago. I am a year outside of warranty now (and I only have 37k miles). It's an air flow actuator motor. Apparently there are 3 inside the dash. The one deep in the center of the dash is the culprit. $65 part....$765 labor! What?...WHAT! Ya....no thanks. Has anyone removed/put back together their dash before, AND does anyone want to do it for me? I will pay for your time and assist you (not the Ford price, but a healthy percentage of it). Please, DM me if interested. We will discuss.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...cking-sound-part-numbers-video-install.22458/

Sam4

Unfortunately, that's the passenger side actuator. I have to replace the center dash actuator. I HIGHLY doubt Ford would charge $765 labor for 5 minutes work. They told me the entire dash has to be removed to get to it.
Pain-in-the-ass, but NOT a dealership-worthy repair. Save your money and make them do the cabin filter.....

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
After getting my LSD done, I now have more NVH and a loud plastic rattle/knock somewhere in the dash. It's there for a long time or until the rpm changes. I pressed on most of the external pieces, but not all. I'll figure it out one day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pain-in-the-ass, but NOT a dealership-worthy repair. Save your money and make them do the cabin filter.....
New update: I broke down and told Ford to do the center dash air flow actuator. I reconfirmed that it was the one deep in the center dash before giving them the go ahead. The actuator near the steering column and the one behind the glove box are easy enough for me to do, but not that one. Interestingly enough, my car is down there for the door latch recall...I have had no issue with the doors to this point. They informed me that they are replacing all the cables that run to the door latches, as well. They were all falling apart. Supposedly they are not included in the recall, but they are doing that for free along with the latches.

after installing my H&R super sport springs and mounting my new wheels I hear some rattling coming from the front passenger side. it has not affected the drive at all. It is just some rattling which still has me worried. luckily I will be looking at it later tonight. hopefully its just a bit loose or something. ST x TD.jpg

Wonderful, head liner started rattling... goes away when I press on it around the cabin light extrusion. Anyone got/somehow fixed that one?

I have a 2014 Ford fiesta ST 85,000, mi. that makes a sort of wobbling sound in the mornings, first start of the day. When I put it in first gear and begin to drive off, the wobble noise comes on between 1000 and 2000 RPMs then disappears but just before I come to a stop, I like to press the clutch and then the break when the clutch is engaged and the motor but transmission is in neutral the wobble sound comes on and then goes away for about a second this also happens when I'm going in reverse. I like to back into my driveway so I can just drive off straight in the mornings for work. Now as the car warms up, this sound completely goes away. In the winter time the noise is a little louder and It stays on a little bit longer. My thoughts is it could be flywheel or it could be a loose motor mount but I know it's something that's moving. Anybody have any suggestions?

Guess I'll add to this. Get a groaning sound from the passenger seat area (turns out its just my wife lol). It really hasn't made much noise atleast compared to my last car just the odd creak and squeak of cheap plastic I expected it to make.