Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tim Rogers upgraded his hot hatch’s stopping power in the pursuit of ultimate on-track thrills

Tim Rogers upgraded his hot hatch’s stopping power in the pursuit of ultimate on-track thrills

The humble Ford Fiesta – the perky little tearaway that it is – has always been a bit of a trailblazer. When the first iteration scampered onto the forecourts back in 1976, it offered something entirely at odds with the rest of Ford’s line-up: it was a hatchback and the driven wheels were at the front, which certainly gave the purists something to think about.
The firm’s number-crunchers clearly knew what they were up to; their £550m development budget was rewarded by sales of over ten million Fiestas worldwide across eight generations. The performance models, starting with the SuperSport and XR2, developed into a legendary halo in their own right; fast-forward to the modern era and the Fiesta ST is more or less universally revered as the archetypal bang-for-your-buck hot hatch. The Mk7 has already become a modern classic, having dominated pretty much every award ceremony and group test going, and when the Mk8 Fiesta ST launched in 2018, fans knew that something special was coming.
The bright orange example you see here is more special than most, being an ST Performance Edition. This limited-run 2019 variant came in vivid Deep Orange paint and benefitted from the Performance Pack (including the excellent LSD), lightweight flow-formed alloy wheels, and adjustable coilovers. The perfect package for track day thrills, then? Well, almost, but not quite…
“It’s a great car in all but one respect: the stock brakes just aren’t up to the job,”​
explains owner, Tim Rogers.
“Despite lockdown this year, I wanted to do more track days and found the ST Performance Edition to be an ideal car for the task, except for that one crucial element. Every time after a track day, the stock front brakes would be fried and need a pad change and bleed. Even when I went on the track for a short time, the brakes would forever afterwards feel both spongy and less effective when back on the road. I tried changing pad types and using better brake fluids, but it only made a marginal improvement.”​

Tim began to explore the aftermarket for big brake kits to suit this popular platform. After comparing various specs and prices, it was the quality and high specification of EBC’s Apollo Balanced Big Brake Kit which elevated it above the competition – coupled with the fact that it’s UK-sourced. These brake kits come with everything the buyer needs to replace the equivalent components in the factory braking system, to provide a firmer and more responsive pedal and allowing them to drive harder for longer without the onset of brake fade. A key element here (and the explanation for the name ‘Balanced’) is that it isn’t just a caliper, disc and pad upgrade for the front end, but also provides complementing rear pads along with front and rear lines.
“On opening the box, I was pleased at the quality and finish of the kit,” says Tim. “As an engineer in a previous life, I fitted them myself and it took around four hours. I would say that anyone competent on the spanners could do it, as the instructions were clear and there was a video available on the EBC website – that helped me understand the orientation of the brackets and components. Just make sure that you use proper axle stands and have someone around to pump the brakes for you when you bleed the system.
“I used a 5mm spacer to fit the kit over the car’s standard Performance Edition wheels. I chose the 330mm kit over the 300mm, as the inner profile of the Performance Edition wheel indicated that less spacing is needed and on the road, there’s a nice pedal feel and progressive brake bite with no snatch. Care needs to be taken as they are extremely powerful, but it doesn’t take long to get used to them and they are brilliant! On the track? Fantastic. Powerful with no fade, no overheating, no drop-off in performance. When back on the road afterwards, everything is as it should be until the next track day.
“BBKs are a considerable investment for a small car like a Fiesta ST and there are many people who may feel that it’s overkill. The fact is that if you ever track your car or drive ‘enthusiastically’, the Mk8 Fiesta brakes are not good enough. There are intermediate upgrades that work on the road, but ultimately if you want to ever take your car on the track, a BBK upgrade beckons – and in my experience, the EBC Balanced Big Brake Kit is up with the best of them.”​

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is the Kit part #s? What spacers will you have to use or wheels to make them fit? Does it include front and rear?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well I would bet we would have an issue with that kit because MK8 factory wheels are 18’’s with a flat face spoke giving a lot of room . I think that caliper would be a hard fit on 17’s without a spacer. Forget 16’s lol
Though I know EBC makes a kit specifically for MK7.5‘s as Ron sells it.

OP
EBC Brakes UK
Thread Starter #6
What is the Kit part #s? What spacers will you have to use or wheels to make them fit? Does it include front and rear?

MK8 Fiesta ST BBK 300mm - BBK006BLK-1
OE brakes = 22.7kg, EBC BBK = 21.3kg To clear 18"optional Ford OE wheel, 15mm+ Spacers are required. Use a spacer where OE studs are replaced with longer items as a 'bolt on' spacer will foul on back of the wheel.

OP
EBC Brakes UK
Thread Starter #7
OE brakes = 22.7kg, EBC BBK = 21.3kg To clear 18"optional Ford OE wheel, 15mm+ Spacers are required. Use a spacer where OE studs are replaced with longer items as a 'bolt on' spacer will foul on back of the wheel.
MK8 Fiesta ST BBK 330mm - BBK006BLK-2
OE brakes = 22.7kg, EBC BBK = 22.4kg To clear 18"optional Ford OE wheel, 12mm+ Spacers are required. Use a spacer where OE studs are replaced with longer items as a 'bolt on' spacer will foul on back of the wheel.

*Change BLK to BLU, RED or YEL for other colours* in part number

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
For Mk7.5 Stateside*

OP
EBC Brakes UK
Thread Starter #9

Wheel clearance templates can be acquired from our website or by contacting kits@ebcbrakes.com
These kits include – Front big brake kit ( Apollo-4 series caliper, 2 piece fully floating discs, Brackets, fitting hardware, Brake lines, Pads, Brake fluid ) additionally unlike many other big brake kits on the market, EBC Balanced Big Brake Kits also come complete with rear pads and rear brake lines, representing a full vehicle upgrade.

OP
EBC Brakes UK
Thread Starter #10
For Mk7.5 Stateside*
Well I would bet we would have an issue with that kit because MK8 factory wheels are 18’’s with a flat face spoke giving a lot of room . I think that caliper would be a hard fit on 17’s without a spacer. Forget 16’s lol
Though I know EBC makes a kit specifically for MK7.5‘s as Ron sells it.
Our MK7 and MK8 ST BBK are not the same, these are two separate kits. MK7 ST = BBK007
Wheel clearance templates can be acquired from our website or by contacting kits@ebcbrakes.com

EBC UK - What wheels do you recommend for proper fitment of the Apollo kit? I've ordered the 300mm kit for MK7, but am having a heck of time finding a 16 or 17in wheel that will fit without spacers? What's odd is your EBCdirect website indicates that 25mm spacers are needed to fit OEM wheels, but the instruction guide indicates wheels spacers are not recommended... Seems contradictory.

Lays

EBC UK - What wheels do you recommend for proper fitment of the Apollo kit? I've ordered the 300mm kit for MK7, but am having a heck of time finding a 16 or 17in wheel that will fit without spacers? What's odd is your EBCdirect website indicates that 25mm spacers are needed to fit OEM wheels, but the instruction guide indicates wheels spacers are not recommended... Seems contradictory.
Hypergrams / dekagrams should fit with a 5mm spacer. I have a whoosh BBK and only need a 5mm to clear.

Thanks for the tip. Hypergrams are topping my list. I know the EBC kit is a little larger than Whoosh’s setup, but I’m hopeful the Konigs will work.

Are you experiencing rub with the coil overs? I have Swifts - so a little concerned about the added width of 17x8 wheels with spacers.

Lays

Thanks for the tip. Hypergrams are topping my list. I know the EBC kit is a little larger than Whoosh’s setup, but I’m hopeful the Konigs will work.
The calipers stick out more or what? It's the face you need clearance for, not the barrels.

OP
EBC Brakes UK
Thread Starter #16
In an ideal world we would recommend the use of aftermarket wheels with the correct offsets (we have aftermarket wheels on our car with no spacers) therefore no spacers needed, If you PM me your email address I will send you the pdf for the wheel clearance template. With this you will be able to send it to a wheel manufacturer to check clearances and this will allow you to order wheels with the correct offsets etc.