Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Pressure Warning Light

Hi,

Warning light came on signifying that the tire pressure was low. I refilled tire pressure according to specifications the same day, this seemed to have done the trick as the warning light then went away.

However, the light has since come back only 2 days later. Anyone have experience with this? Could it be due to the heat affecting tire pressure?

Stock wheels/tires I assume? My '16 seems to have a pretty long leash before it will throw a warning (~10 psi), so I don't think heating/cooling should trigger it.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Sensors do go bad sometimes. You can check for a leak and try to relearn the sensor, otherwise it’s probably gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It is most likely because you have a leak, like a nail or something.
Since our cars do not indicate which tire is low it is a good idea to note this when you check the air pressure.
Then more closely check that tire for a problem.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Hi,

Warning light came on signifying that the tire pressure was low. I refilled tire pressure according to specifications the same day, this seemed to have done the trick as the warning light then went away.

However, the light has since come back only 2 days later. Anyone have experience with this? Could it be due to the heat affecting tire pressure?
You have a slow leak very likely.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
It is most likely because you have a leak, like a nail or something.
Since our cars do not indicate which tire is low it is a good idea to note this when you check the air pressure.
Then more closely check that tire for a problem.
I inspected it again today and do see a very small metal shard (smaller than mail) protruding. In this case, should I take it to the dealer ASAP? In your experience would they just plug the leak or recommend getting a whole new tire? Also, should I go to a regular mechanic and not the dealer (maybe they will charge me less)?

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
You have a slow leak very likely.
I inspected it again today and do see a very small metal shard (smaller than mail) protruding. In this case, should I take it to the dealer ASAP? In your experience would they just plug the leak or recommend getting a whole new tire? Also, should I go to a regular mechanic and not the dealer (maybe they will charge me less)?

You can go to either the dealer or any reputable tire shop. Not sure what's in your area, but around me are America's Tire and Les Schwab. Both can replace/repair tires. (Or I occasionally use an independent shop I like if they're not busy.) In your case, if the metal object penetrated the tread and not the sidewall or too close to the sidewall then they will patch it. Doesn't cost much at all, and if there aren't a lot of customers ahead of you, it's a quick fix.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if the tire should be repaired or replaced based on that picture. Best bet is to just take it to a tire shop and see what needs to be done. If they patch it, though, it won't be expensive at all, which is always nice. If you're unsure about good tire shops near you, Yelp always works for me for everything. :giggle:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
To echo others, indeed - take it to Discount Tire and ask them for an opinion. DT around me do plugs free, as a service to the community, whether you actually bought these from them or not. Generally, if the site is on the sidewall or close to it, they would not plug it. And, too - you can drive on a slow leak, but not to the point that you ignore the reason for it and not "recklessly".

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for everyone's help. I just got back from tire shop and two nails were removed, no new tire needed.