Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

tires cupping on inside

ROCKYFiestta

any thoughts on what part needs replaced I got cupping on my driver side tire badly on the inside of the tire. stock suspension @58k.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Hearing any clunking or popping when moving at low speed over bumps? Also drivers front or rear?

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #3
no not really now my regular sedan fiesta on the other hand does but its not cupping tires at all lol

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #4
just ate up my snow tire badly ill have to replace for sure but want to fix it before I let it eat another new snow tire.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You will need to shake down the Supension but I'm putting my money on a tie rod or ball joint.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
How often are you rotating tires?
The number one issue I have seen with cupping tires is shocks / struts that are dying.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My first culprit would be the upper shock and strut mounts themselves. Especially up front. My old focus was notorious for wearing them out rather quickly.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
CUPPING IS CAUSED BY BAD SHOCKS AND STRUTS 100%

IF YOU DO NOT ROTATE YOUR TIRES THEN TRY THAT. BUT IF YOU DO EVERY 5K THEN TIME FOR NEW SUSPENSION

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #12
How often are you rotating tires?
The number one issue I have seen with cupping tires is shocks / struts that are dying.

im fairly certain this is the issue because the ride is getting more bumpy lately and still on the stock suspension at 58k now on the car and its a 14 model that I use to drive on dirt roads a lot and I still do.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #13
the snow tires where put on back in October they were not cupped then, but now the driver side one is looking nasty its time for new shocks and springs car is getting really bouncy but no shocks are blown at this moment

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
the snow tires where put on back in October they were not cupped then, but now the driver side one is looking nasty its time for new shocks and springs car is getting really bouncy but no shocks are blown at this moment
Bouncy means the the shocks can not control the up/down ocillations from the springs. Worn out strut I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #15
yes it is definitely bouncy my niece was making fun of the suspension by making noises like uh uh uh uh uh uh uh when we drove over a rougher patch lol I guess she can feel the oscillations since shes a kid it feels like a pogo stick she said

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You will need to Jounce the front and back bumper by pushing down on it hard....if the suspension doesn't stop after the initial push down ...its time for new struts and shocks....replace all 4 ....dont be frugal as it never pays off in the end.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Some vehicles are so stiff that test doesn't work. On my 2010 Ford Focus the driver side front was like a marshmallow it was completely toasted. On my dad's Ford ranger he was getting vibration. I did that test it didn't act off but his shocks were toasted. From what I understand shocks have multiple stages of valving in them to deal with different road conditions pothole, broken pavement and so on. The point I'm trying to make you can do that test and everything seems fine but your shocks can still be dead.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
UNDER INFLATED TIRE CAN ALSO CAUSE CUPPING!
Yup; my first thought as well. Start with the most simplistic and cheapest explanation... and test for it. Second, you may need an alignment. Some shops do front end work and subsequently skip the alignment. The results can be any one or more of: a rough ride, poor turning, squealing when turning, as well as Foxed up tires.

Overheating the snow tire may also result with unusual wear. Under-inflation increases tire temps due to additional flex.

Suspension has a spring, and has a strut. If your car goes ¡SLAM! or ¡BANG! then that's an issue with the spring, or it's seat, or the mount, or both. (or the alignment for the front) Since these vehicles are lowered, they tend to bottom-out easier than normal vehicles. I've bottomed out at least a few times over the past few years. If your car goes bouncy-bouncy *all* the time then that's the strut(s). Some roadways and at certain speeds can resonate with your suspension; producing a *controlled* bouncing effect, even though the struts technically aren't bad. Though people don't usually do it, the spring and strut can be independently replaced. A strut can be tested outside of the vehicle. Spring, seat and mount damage are typically visible upon inspection.

OP
ROCKYFiestta

ROCKYFiestta

Thread Starter #19
the car is definitely bouncy-bouncy lol love that terminology
looks like struts are going to be needed then followed by an alignment.