Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Track and daily break pad recommendations

ronmcdon

yellows are totally fine as a street pad and maybe for the rear brakes for a track pad. I would avoid as a front track pad.

had the orange pads which I understand take more heat than the yellows, but got those to melt on the track. I would not trust the yellows myself for a front track pad. Note I drove in varying temps of 70-105ish f. Note also had the boomba brake deflector mod too and lsd.

Maybe they would do okay if at events where temps are lower. I also think some people don't quite use their brakes hard enough at events or maybe it's just that they drive differently, so maybe they can get away with milder brake compounds.

My hawk dtc-30s do squeal a lot for street driving, are harsh on the rotors and get more brake dust, but it's a compromise Im willing to make for a street and track pad. I guess it depends what compromises is willing to make. If I were to try EBC again, may try the RP1's or whatever is more aggressive than the orange pads.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
EBC Yellows actually work better with lighter calipers and bigger rotors. Danny discovered this after going to Oranges with bigger calipers and rotors. He his now on Yellows with EBC Calipers. I am running Orange up front with my Whoosh . Not impressed with the initial bite compared to Yellows and ya you have to heat Orangestuff up to get a better bite but they are consistent and considering they came with the Calipers I am running them. I think Yellows with titanium cooling shims could be the shit . As the man problem with Yellows on stock brakes is they could start fading a bit after several intense corners.. With lighter bigger brakes it does not seem to be as much of issue.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
EBC Yellows actually work better with lighter calipers and bigger rotors. Danny discovered this after going to Oranges with bigger calipers and rotors. He his now on Yellows with EBC Calipers. I am running Orange up front with my Whoosh . Not impressed with the initial bite compared to Yellows and ya you have to heat Orangestuff up to get a better bite but they are consistent and considering they came with the Calipers I am running them. I think Yellows with titanium cooling shims could be the shit . As the man problem with Yellows on stock brakes is they could start fading a bit after several intense corners.. With lighter bigger brakes it does not seem to be as much of issue.
Your Whoosh kit came with yellows? Did you buy it used? I'm also running yellows in my Whoosh bbk but planning a swap to blue next time a get a chance. I have a couple sets of blue and yellow to see which one I like best.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Your Whoosh kit came with yellows? Did you buy it used? I'm also running yellows in my Whoosh bbk but planning a swap to blue next time a get a chance. I have a couple sets of blue and yellow to see which one I like best.
My Whoosh kit came with reds but I bought it off my friend Danny who only put about 500-1k miles on it and so it came loaded with Orange. I have Yellow waiting to go in . I was running Yellow with my EBC USR rotors previously. That’s what I have in the rear.I saw the Blue it looks interesting.

ronmcdon

I wonder if the whoosh AP calipers can take non EBC pads. Would jump on them if it means can I use the endless mx72 pads.
I considered the EBC calipers, but dont want to use aggressive spacers and sacrifice turn-in. also the idea of replacing $1k rotors w/ the EBC kit is kinda scary.
the stoptech and brembo bbk kits like great, but I think you can't run anything less than 17s with them.

For the most part Im happy with the stock brakes along with endless fluid, ss lines, boomba deflectors and hawk dtc-30 pads. It doesn't overheat or melt.
On the streets, I'm content with the inconveniences (squeakiness and dust) many would find intolerable. Living in socal, the hot weather allows us to more safely use more aggressive pads on the street.
With near stock power levels, maybe a bbk is not that necessary at least for me.

My complaint with the brake setup I have is that I just wish they were easier to modulate and not so much an 'on and off' switch.
Wish there was also a larger pad selection.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wonder if the whoosh AP calipers can take non EBC pads. Would jump on them if it means can I use the endless mx72 pads.
I considered the EBC calipers, but dont want to use aggressive spacers and sacrifice turn-in. also the idea of replacing $1k rotors w/ the EBC kit is kinda scary.
the stoptech and brembo bbk kits like great, but I think you can't run anything less than 17s with them.

For the most part Im happy with the stock brakes along with endless fluid, ss lines, boomba deflectors and hawk dtc-30 pads. It doesn't overheat or melt.
On the streets, I'm content with the inconveniences (squeakiness and dust) many would find intolerable. Living in socal, the hot weather allows us to more safely use more aggressive pads on the street.
With near stock power levels, maybe a bbk is not that necessary at least for me.

My complaint with the brake setup I have is that I just wish they were easier to modulate and not so much an 'on and off' switch.
Actually those are available I just looked them up. As I know the AP racing Caliper number . Now the price I saw was a whole other sort of ouch.:ROFLMAO:
I also saw Hawk DTC’s for them as well.

ronmcdon

oh damn, thats going to be my next mod!
yes the pads are definitely painful price wise

curious what you like about the AP calipers for canyon or street driving

As a reference point, the EBC rotor rings are only around 250 each....Still quite expensive but we have been having really good luck with them on our time trial car. The wilwood rings are as low as 50$ each for the lowest cost/weight/quality ones, and the ones we were using on track were around 110$.

Lays

They're AP 7600 calipers D46 pads I believe, I have Hawk pads on mine right now, I just looked up the part # on hawk's site, then asked Ron if he could order me some.
Most of the brake pad websites have "motorsport" section where you can search by caliper rather than vehicle, makes it really easy!

Track and Daily.... if you stay in EBC family I'd say EBC blue or Orange. Hawk HP+, G-LOC maybe R8? Btw whoever said G-LOC is bad because it makes noise and is expensive.... yeah they're QUALITY PERFORMANCE pads, They're gonna be both those things.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I come from Yellow EBC ...Now on to EBC Blue NDX.... The Blue EBC are the Old yellows. I will NEVER GO back to Yellow EBCs. [driving]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm biting my lib and holding back on my announcement.. but on my track day. I'll be running powerstop carbon fiber/ceramic pads.
You're going to open track a Transit?!?!

Insanity, but COOL, and if the crazy Dajibans in Japan can do it with even larger, heavier, and even higher center of gravity Ram vans (and have a blast while doing so!), why TF not?!? [twothumb] [cool]

LostInTransit

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
disappointing news.. after contacting several tracks for an open track schedule, all have informed me that they would not allow our closed cargo van on the track due to sight/visibly restrictions. The only way for me to put the van on the track is if we rent the entire track. thus allowing only me and the van on the track without other drivers.