Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Traded in the 15 FiST for a 11 GTI (comparison)

I finally after a year on the mend from a motorcycle accident got cleared to drive 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately my left leg was unable to properly work the clutch in the FiST so I had to go looking for something with an automatic. Since I have always driven Manual transmission cars it was a bummer realizing that I could no longer drive one. after driving a ton of performance oriented cars and being un impressed with all the automatics exept for the new 8 speed BMW transmission I decided to give the GTI DSG a try and its just perfect.

Compared to the FiST it is much easier for my to get in and out of with my disability and the seats are nice and supportive without being as extreme as the Recaro's in the FiST. The DSG is just an amazing gearbox and the interior fit and finish makes the FiST feel like it was put together by a pack of rodents high on LSD.

The FiST has better steering responce and a more lively chassis than the GTI for sure and is a more focused performance car but the GTI has so much more refinement. With that refinement comes more weight and you do feel that extra weight in the GTI. For my in my situation the GTI was a perfect change and even my wife instantly liked the GTI more while she was not comfortable in the Recaro's on the FiST.

The best part about the swap is that I was able to send in my Access Port to COBB and get it reprogrammed for the GTI so I save a bundle on that upgrade strait out the gate. Looking forward to getting it back Monday and adding a tune.

GTIs are great cars, and so "premium"! Almost snagged one before the FiST!

Just not cheap to fix. That's a different story.

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #4
At least there is wide aftermarket support for the 2.0T engine. VW and audi both use it. I do most of my own maintenance or did before my injury anyway. The one thing I will miss is the steering feel in the FiST was indeed better as was the bluetooth integration setup.

Glad you found your way back into a hot hatch, even if not the FiST. The GTI is probably where I would be if I wanted/needed an automatic. That DSG is supposed to be pretty special.

Good to hear that you're back behind the wheel again, I broke a leg and some other minor things in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago. Sucks to have to deal with an accident and the recovery process. Before I bought my fiST this past weekend, i had my choices down to a mk6 gti and the fist. I really liked them both, but the fiST just had something that pushed me over the edge. The gti is a great car, and you're absolutely right about how comfortable they are. Not to mention the power the 2.0t has, Ive read after just a tune those things really wake up.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Welcome back, the healing process can be frustrating and it's hard to be patient. Sounds like you're making the best out of it, good for you.