Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TT ***S290*** thread :)

Good morning everyone! Just got word from Ron @ Whoosh Motorsports that the first S290 test unit has landed state side. He is looking over some details on it currently and I should have it next week sometime. I plan on installing as soon as possible so we can start the tuning process! I will update as we go. Currently I have an S280 on the car. I have an e30 tune making around 350whp, and a race fuel tune making around 400whp. On the race fuel tune at the drag strip in REALLY good air it has been 11.26 @ 126mph and 8.31 seconds from 60-130 on the dragy. We will be pushing this stock longblock as far as possible and then plan on putting a Tune+ short block in it for some added reliability. This is going to be a fun year!

Adding the pictures that Ron has and a picture of my car just for grins and giggles.

Attachments

Very cool glad there finally getting somewhere on these lol only been teasing the community for 3 years now 🤣 curious how that thing specs out vs the s280 as far as compressor and turbine specs. Be pretty neat if the s290 and 280 share wheel dimensions and the only major difference is the turbine housing a/r. If thats the case it would be pretty sweet if Ron pulled some strings and got the larger turbine housings as a upgrade for the s280. That way the few who already have a s280 and just wanted alittle more could scoop a housing and pick up some top end flow. 🤘

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
This is cool but I suspect it’s going to boil down to more top end at the expense of low end response. Fine for racing, less fine for daily driving.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
^ I'm assuming the same. In which case I'll stick with my s280 dreams

I feel like s280 is probably all you would REALLY want on the street in the first place....Anything much bigger, while sure, it could push more HP, especially on a built engine, just doesn't seem like it would matter for a FWD street car.

Right after they release compressor maps
I doubt this ever happens or that TT even has the compressor maps most aftermarket companies dont have compressor maps unless they use a ots big name wheel from another company. Im not saying they don’t have them but it’s unlikely as its very very expensive to do. Even bigger names like PTE dont have compressor maps so usually the best we have is a similar sized big name wheels compressor map. If we knew the compressor inlet and outlet dimensions we can make a educated guess thats about it. Would be sweet if they did though 🤘I emailed TT about turbo specs hopefully they get back to me with some info hopefully they comply!

Following.

I think the theory of the S290 providing more top end power is valid …. and it will likely be a beast for built motors.

That said …. If the S280 can already reasonably exceed the capabilities of the stock block, I will be curious to know if the S290 provides any real benefits for those without a built motor … on or off the track.

Following.

I think the theory of the S290 providing more top end power is valid …. and it will likely be a beast for built motors.

That said …. If the S280 can already reasonably exceed the capabilities of the stock block, I will be curious to know if the S290 provides any real benefits for those without a built motor … on or off the track.
mountune long block $800 off on their website right now...

Following.

That said …. If the S280 can already reasonably exceed the capabilities of the stock block, I will be curious to know if the S290 provides any real benefits for those without a built motor … on or off the
I think the key there is 'reasonably', as I believe that in order to get blockbuster (couldn't help it) numbers from the S280, you have to push it well outside of the intended operating parameters.

So *maybe* the S280 S290 comparison would be a bit like the hybrid and S280 comparison where hybrid or S280 can ultimately make similar peak power on the stock fuel system, but the S280 will be in a happier place and adding less heat to move the same amount of air. Possibly run right up to the stock engine's physical limit with either S280 or S290, just that one turbo is more efficient at that level than the other.

Pretty stoked to see how it all works out.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think the key there is 'reasonably', as I believe that in order to get blockbuster (couldn't help it) numbers from the S280, you have to push it well outside of the intended operating parameters.

So *maybe* the S280 S290 comparison would be a bit like the hybrid and S280 comparison where hybrid or S280 can ultimately make similar peak power on the stock fuel system, but the S280 will be in a happier place and adding less heat to move the same amount of air. Possibly run right up to the stock engine's physical limit with either S280 or S290, just that one turbo is more efficient at that level than the other.

Pretty stoked to see how it all works out.
This is what I was thinking as well. [thumb]

But I cannot see how it will be able to do that without moving the power band up even further than the S280's. [dunno]

In my experience, the S280 with aux fuel easily produces boost beyond what the stock motor can handle.

I ran 32-34 lbs for a bit. The S280 was plenty happy. The motor? It got very, very unhappy.

Even if you build the motor, the next question is the transmission and how much it can "reasonably" handle for long.

I asked Team NDR of a comparison between the S290 and G25-550 here's their response.

"Unless you're chasing huge power and a full circuit car the S290 is better suited turbo for this platform, it keeps the power band in a very usable window and still gives a good enough mid-range performance but a good balance of top end too."

It's definitely S290 season