Tubular manifold heat shields

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Has anyone with a tubular manifold had a heat shield made for it? My manifold is ceramic coated but still hate the carbon fiber intake being almost on top of it. Options are 1) get a heat shield made 2) put the 2J intake on for track days or 3) switch to the Cobb metal intake and insulate the hell out of it.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated

IMG_7039.jpeg

LucasHigh

Premium Account
Member ID
this is probable not the cheap option but could you not so do something similar to the explorer st whoosh downpipe

Member ID
Your concern about heat is legit. To my knowledge, no one makes a shield. I’d wrap the intake runner.

My Airtec is wrapped, and it still melted the wire loom running across the firewall. Luckily, I found it before it melted any wire insulation.

Attachments

ronmcdon

Member ID
hmm interesting you guys mention this. Im also looking into solutions myself, but for tubular manifold and larger drop in turbo for my evo x (something thats been tested in the evo community but not super popular bc of price)
theres a company called 'Advanced Thermal Covers' out in Irvine, CA who makes more elaborate inconel shields.
It is a bit pricier than heat wraps to be sure, but it gives me some piece of mind that it might be less likely to catch on fire.
I am guessing maybe its closer to 500 to wrap a manifold not including shipping, but yeah I think they will also wrap downpipes and turbo bits as well.
I am sure there may be more local alternatives in your area.

I am looking to use them to wrap my Morris Fab tubular manifold and maybe mitsubishi MHI-18k turbo
Just found out about them a my mitsubishi mechanic Road Race Engineering where they showed my a wrapped manifold, wish I took pics of it.

https://atpwrap.com/alloy-racing-covers/

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #6
hmm interesting you guys mention this. Im also looking into solutions myself, but for tubular manifold and larger drop in turbo for my evo x (something thats been tested in the evo community but not super popular bc of price)
theres a company called 'Advanced Thermal Covers' out in Irvine, CA who makes more elaborate inconel shields.
It is a bit pricier than heat wraps to be sure, but it gives me some piece of mind that it might be less likely to catch on fire.
I am guessing maybe its closer to 500 to wrap a manifold not including shipping, but yeah I think they will also wrap downpipes and turbo bits as well.

I am looking to use them to wrap my Morris Fab tubular manifold and maybe mitsubishi MHI-18k turbo
Just found out about them a my mitsubishi mechanic Road Race Engineering where they showed my a wrapped manifold, wish I took pics of it.

I’ve been looking at similar products. Have seen many reports of success, but not sure I like something directly touching the manifold where it could trap water, oil, or whatever else. Consider me paranoid.

I’ve also been eyeballing this formable shield from Zircotec that I would form and punch holes in to mount with the stock heat shield screws.

https://zircotec.com/products/heat-shields/zircoflex-form/

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #7
Your concern about heat is legit. To my knowledge, no one makes a shield. I’d wrap the intake runner.

My Airtec is wrapped, and it still melted the wire loom running across the firewall. Luckily, I found it before it melted any wire insulation.
Good to know I’m not alone! Mine melted too.

IMG_7197.jpeg

Member ID
My fix was to coat in heat tape. Only question will be how well the glue stays with time and heat cycles

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #9
My fix was to coat in heat tape. Only question will be how well the glue stays with time and heat cycles
My plan is to do the same with DEI gold reflective tape. We shall see!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
They make a heat tape /cover that is split and uses velcro to hold it together that's sewn.

Member ID
I wrapped this around my manifold but now im starting to have second thoughts about it possibly catching on fire. Car is still a bit away from being reassembled so Ive yet to be able to test it out. Thoughts? These photos are of an aluminum crinkle shield. DO NOT USE ALUMINUM CRINKLE IT WILL CATCH ON FIRE!!!

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #13
I wrapped this around my manifold but now im starting to have second thoughts about it possibly catching on fire. Car is still a bit away from being reassembled so Ive yet to be able to test it out. Thoughts? https://a.co/d/4Ow3ppS
That’s essentially what I was thinking of doing and punching holes to mount it with the stock heat shield bolts so it’s not directly touching the manifold. Does yours rest on the manifold or stand off?

Member ID
That’s essentially what I was thinking of doing and punching holes to mount it with the stock heat shield bolts so it’s not directly touching the manifold. Does yours rest on the manifold or stand off?
It rests and is wrapped around the manifold held on with a few metal tie straps. Ill try to get some better pictures of it when i get home from work.

Member ID
Maybe a slightly off-topic question, but how do you guys like the tubular manifold? What are the main advantages vs the stock manifold?

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Thread Starter #16
Maybe a slightly off-topic question, but how do you guys like the tubular manifold? What are the main advantages vs the stock manifold?
Theoretically it helps make more power with equal length runners helping with scavenging and sending a consistent flow of exhaust to the turbine. I only have one because that’s all that’s available with my turbo kit.

Member ID

This stuff is legit, it's how turbo endurance cars can run for 12 or 24 hours without melting down. Also they last significantly longer than wraps

ronmcdon

Member ID
thanks I'll try to find out more on this product and address some of the concerns expressed here. will post back what I can find
sadly due to lack of funds its not something I can afford to prioritize until a few months later.

off topic but its actually kinda nice these days to have cars with 'external' exhaust manifolds.
not only do they look cool, but the implementation of some like the fk8 civic type r can leading to some unwanted complications like over heating, whereas its less an issue in others FC civic Si for example.

Dialcaliper

Member ID
I wrapped this around my manifold but now im starting to have second thoughts about it possibly catching on fire. Car is still a bit away from being reassembled so Ive yet to be able to test it out. Thoughts? https://a.co/d/4Ow3ppS
Did you use aluminum or stainless crinkle heat shield? The aluminum will not hold up in direct contact with the header (it will eventually get hot, oxidize and fall apart) Look around and you can find the stainless steel version various places if you want to go that route.

But this type of heat shield is not insulation and does best when it’s not in direct contact with the hot piece. The crinkle does help to minimize contact, but mostly on the cooler surfaces it’s protecting. Unless you can make a heat shield that’s supported with minimal contact (which is how OEM heat shields are made), you’re better off shielding other things like wiring and the crossover pipe and maybe using header wrap/blanket instead.

It’s okay to use the aluminum version on the crossover and other places where it won’t be too near the header (and it’s a slightly better reflector than stainless)

Just to share - here’s a post where I used heat shield and stainless zip ties on the crossover pipe. I wish I’d taken better before and after data, but it seems like my intake temps are staying slightly cooler even when the engine bay is getting hot.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/feisty-the-family-car.30825/#post-495281

Last edited: