Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Update Sync3 to v2.2 for navigation and non-navigation units - AndroidAuto and AppleCarPlay (download links inside)

I'm having an issue with Android Auto on version 3.0 Build 19205. I purchased a 2016 this weekend (build date 02/16), which came with Version 1.0 and had no AA. I updated to 3.0 this weekend, but AA is still not showing up at all.

I have done a Master Reset, tried 3 different USB cables, reinstalled AA on my phone, re-installed the 3.0 update, and still nothing.

My phone will communicate and play music over USB (I disabled BT to be sure it used USB) to SYNC 3, but AA does not work at all. I dont even have the icon in settings.

20191222_182520_HDR.jpg
20191222_182526_HDR.jpg
20191222_182534_HDR_20191223135104719.jpg

I have used this same phone on a 2019 Fiesta rental with SYNC 3 and AA about 2 months ago without any issues. Any ideas?

I'm having an issue with Android Auto on version 3.0 Build 19205. I purchased a 2016 this weekend (build date 02/16), which came with Version 1.0 and had no AA. I updated to 3.0 this weekend, but AA is still not showing up at all.

I have done a Master Reset, tried 3 different USB cables, reinstalled AA on my phone, re-installed the 3.0 update, and still nothing.

My phone will communicate and play music over USB (I disabled BT to be sure it used USB) to SYNC 3, but AA does not work at all. I dont even have the icon in settings.

View attachment 26369
View attachment 26370
View attachment 26372

I have used this same phone on a 2019 Fiesta rental with SYNC 3 and AA about 2 months ago without any issues. Any ideas?
Which USB hub are you using? The one in the front or perhaps one in the center console? Granted from what I can find, the base USB Hub should be fine, but maybe it's a very early model of the hub and they changed it later on. Might need a new USB Hub to finally pop it up.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ford-mytouch-to-sync3-with-carplay-upgrade.15035/

This post mentions the part G3CT-14F014-BB is compatible.

Looks like these are compatible too - https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-CARPLAY-Interface-Module-HC3Z-19A387-B/dp/B07JCY9HFF
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HC3Z-1...nterface-Module-Sync-3-For-Ford-/254135373795

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Which USB hub are you using? The one in the front or perhaps one in the center console? Granted from what I can find, the base USB Hub should be fine, but maybe it's a very early model of the hub and they changed it later on. Might need a new USB Hub to finally pop it up.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ford-mytouch-to-sync3-with-carplay-upgrade.15035/

This post mentions the part G3CT-14F014-BB is compatible.

Looks like these are compatible too - https://smile.amazon.com/Genuine-CARPLAY-Interface-Module-HC3Z-19A387-B/dp/B07JCY9HFF
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HC3Z-1...nterface-Module-Sync-3-For-Ford-/254135373795
You don't have to update the hub for AA on '16's, only if you want Apple CarPlay.

View attachment 26369
View attachment 26370
View attachment 26372

I see the issue I believe, it looks like the update did not successfully process. Your NAV icon is still the older version, not the 3.0 version. On 3.0, the NAV icon looks more like a arrow pointing up.

Was this an official Ford update, or one found online?
See if you can downgrade back to 2.2 with files found online. V 2.3 has checks in place that prevent downgrading, but V 2.2 should work without issue. Then upgrade back up to 3.0 if you still want the latest version.

Edit: Your hub should not influence this issue, AA should work even with the older hub.

I see the issue I believe, it looks like the update did not successfully process. Your NAV icon is still the older version, not the 3.0 version. On 3.0, the NAV icon looks more like a arrow pointing up.

Was this an official Ford update, or one found online?
See if you can downgrade back to 2.2 with files found online. V 2.3 has checks in place that prevent downgrading, but V 2.2 should work without issue. Then upgrade back up to 3.0 if you still want the latest version.

Edit: Your hub should not influence this issue, AA should work even with the older hub.
These were files I downloaded from the official ford owners website. Not sure which version of the hub I have as far as part number, but it is the one in the center console with 2 ports. I have re-run the 3.0 update with no change, but otherwise havent had a lot of time to look into it.

These were files I downloaded from the official ford owners website. Not sure which version of the hub I have as far as part number, but it is the one in the center console with 2 ports. I have re-run the 3.0 update with no change, but otherwise havent had a lot of time to look into it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1v3_sicNo

This video may help to explain what I was talking about (as far as the icons). This guy was coming from 2.3 to 3.0. If you notice, the icons have changed slightly with a major change to the NAV icon upon his system rebooting around the 4:45 minute mark. I can tell you from experience that your icons should have changed as well (I just recently updated from 1.0 to 3.0 on the NAV sync 3 system I swapped in).

I do find it odd that yours is registering the update in the "About SYNC" page, as well as having the proper updated GraceNote version.

If it was me, I would still look into downgrading to version 2.2 and see about updating to 3.0 from there. YMMV

EDIT: https://www.mustangecoboost.net/thr...-voice-guidance-apple-carplay-solution.19227/
Here's another thread for reference on what I am referring to. Your issue looks to be the same

That is awesome info. I will see if I can find some 2.2 files online. I wonder if the 2.2 update installed something that is needed for everything in 3.0 to work, and skipping from 1.0 to 3.0 misses those files.

Worst case, I have an entire second SYNC3 system from a late 2016 production ST which definitely has the newest hub. I was going to swap it into my SFE but never did before I sold it, so just a spare now.

Just wanted to say thanks again to averyislost. I downloaded some random V2.2 files I found on a dropbox site (didnt realize there was a link in the OP of this thread, oh well). Finally got around to trying it last night. Let the update process for an hour and it never said complete, so I gave up, but this morning when I started my car it said an update had been applied. Now the about page shows V2.2, and AA is working! I also have some minor UI changes like I noticed a signal strength icon for my phone when paired with Bluetooth. So looks like 2.2 actually worked.

Will now try to go to 3.0 again tonight, hopefully that will actually work this time.

Just wanted to say thanks again to averyislost. I downloaded some random V2.2 files I found on a dropbox site (didnt realize there was a link in the OP of this thread, oh well). Finally got around to trying it last night. Let the update process for an hour and it never said complete, so I gave up, but this morning when I started my car it said an update had been applied. Now the about page shows V2.2, and AA is working! I also have some minor UI changes like I noticed a signal strength icon for my phone when paired with Bluetooth. So looks like 2.2 actually worked.

Will now try to go to 3.0 again tonight, hopefully that will actually work this time.
That’s great! Glad it worked for you with the downgrade.
That’s a good thing to note, I’m not sure if the downgrade process will display the same pop-up messages on screen letting you know the installation is complete. Sounds like the process is a little different so best just to let it run for a while.

Version 3.0 Build 19205 I downloaded in December is now installed! New nav icon and all.

I have heard there should be a new build version on the Ford owner site, but when I try to extract the zip file to a USB drive I get file corruption errors and can't extract it all. 2 of the .tar.gz files don't work. Happened with 2 different computers at 2 physical locations with 2 ISPs for the download.

Anyone else want to try to get the current files as of today from owner.ford.com and see if they can extract them? Curious if I am just doing something wrong somehow even though the same procedure has worked for 2 other versions now. File names from the ford website have not changed since December.

Version 3.0 Build 19205 I downloaded in December is now installed! New nav icon and all.

I have heard there should be a new build version on the Ford owner site, but when I try to extract the zip file to a USB drive I get file corruption errors and can't extract it all. 2 of the .tar.gz files don't work. Happened with 2 different computers at 2 physical locations with 2 ISPs for the download.

Anyone else want to try to get the current files as of today from owner.ford.com and see if they can extract them? Curious if I am just doing something wrong somehow even though the same procedure has worked for 2 other versions now. File names from the ford website have not changed since December.
I experienced the same when I attempted to upgrade to v3.4. Additionally I have never had any success with the OTA updates. Sync is so frustrating.

Yeah the OTA doesnt seem to do much, though it must talk to the Ford servers somehow. After I did the USB update to build 19205 yesterday I connected to my home wifi and had it check again. Went to try the ford site today and it told me my software was up to date which it had never done before. I did not report the update with the XML file either.

I'm trying to update mine from v1.0 to the newest on the Ford website. It keeps telling me it is a bad installation file when I plug in my USB drive to the car. Any ideas how to get it to update?

I'm trying to update mine from v1.0 to the newest on the Ford website. It keeps telling me it is a bad installation file when I plug in my USB drive to the car. Any ideas how to get it to update?
If you downloaded v3.xx from Ford you may need to update to v2.xx first. I'm not sure if those hosts linked on the first page are still good, if so, you can get them there and try to update it to v2 first. Once you confirmed it's v2 then you could try that latest file you for from Ford.

DEss

I couldnt get the links in this thread to load, I was simply going off the link provided on the ford website.

Thanks for the info.

Alright, this is really starting to bother me. I know, it is just another feature that really isn't necessary, but I really want android auto to work haha. So here is my situation. I have a 2016 FiST with Sync 3 v1.0. I am trying to update to v3.0, I have followed the instructions on the Ford website to the "T". I was only getting an error stating bad install file. I have done some more looking and found a v2.2 trough a f150 forum and tried that, now I am getting an error stating that I have run out of space or the install doesnt work with my version. After I got this error the first time I went ahead and performed a master reset to see if that would clear up some space, to no avail. I have spent a couple hours on the phone with several different people at Ford and no luck. They are now telling me that I will have to take the car into a dealer. The problem there is they told me it will cost at least 1 hour of labor, maybe more. I guess my real question is what is the dealer going to be able to do that they are unable to walk me through over the phone? Is there something I can do in forscan to get it to take the update? I would rather just not have android auto than go pay the dealership at least $150.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Dustin W.