Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Valve Keeper In The Oil!

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #22
If it ain't broke, drive it.

If it explodes, you know something was wrong.
Sure. I got money to throw out. haha. Doesn't help that the car isn't paid off. Round about 6k left top pay.

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #25
I watched an old T-Shirt Driving video I remembered from a couple years ago. He had Deadhook remove the head to check for a bad piston... When they pull the head and sett it down... you see oil draining from the larger galleys which are on both the exhaust and intake side... I think. this its completely possible honestly.. and I may be riding on a single keeper right now...
Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 8.47.47 PM.png

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Apparently finding valve keepers in your oil pan is more common than you think.

Read this one below and if you read through all of it only 18 post he found two in his oil pan, and when he looked as his motor it had all of them.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...55&share_fid=468&share_type=t&link_source=app

Found valve keeper in oil pan

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #27
Apparently finding valve keepers in your oil pan is more common than you think.

Read this one below and if you read through all of it only 18 post he found two in his oil pan, and when he looked as his motor it had all of them.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...55&share_fid=468&share_type=t&link_source=app

Found valve keeper in oil pan

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I just had a very similar discussion. The only way for that keeper to escape is up and it would be a very rowdy exit... it’s just not possible unless have a busted cam bucket and spring but even then... I don’t think clearances are big enough.... thanks for the link!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has anyone thought of HOW it would get in the pan at the factory? Is the pan not added when the engine is upside down? If so, it wouldn't have held the keeper while it was on the assembly line.
Hard to say. It would be interesting to watch these motors being made, but they are no longer made.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Has anyone thought of HOW it would get in the pan at the factory? Is the pan not added when the engine is upside down? If so, it wouldn't have held the keeper while it was on the assembly line.
This is Fomoco we are talking about here....NOT the Japanese who are skillfully and honorably chosen to assemble the GT-R engines who take pride and joy in their work.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #31
This is Fomoco we are talking about here....NOT the Japanese who are skillfully and honorably chosen to assemble the GT-R engines who take pride and joy in their work.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Best gif ever for that comment lol

OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #34
BIG UPDATE:

Removed the cams and…. IT WAS A SPARE! Great job FORD QC TEAM!

Meanwhile we did the major 100k+ miles services with timing belt assembly, water pump and several gaskets plus I serviced the injectors. Engine is running great and had all its keepers the entire time.

Some will say “told ya”, but hey… I wanted peace of mind and I had to help to save money on what would normally be a costly service job.

Last edited:
OP
HAHAFiST
Thread Starter #36
Again...let me reiterate my original statement.
Lol. Well I’m proud of you. ;). In the end. 100k service is done thanks to a Ford tech buddy of mine at the fraction of the cost so I’m calling it a win.

Gearbox88m

Active Duty U.S. Army
Well, just had a phantom keeper show up on my drain plug today. Reading this has definitely eased my worries. I need to replace my VC gasket and HPFP follower anyway so I'm still gonna pull mine apart, but now I just think I'm gonna put the brakes on the keeper inspection and just say fuck it.

I have another car to drive so if the Fiesta blows up, then fuck it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk