Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Very slight oil burning smell when coming to a stop. Is my list of stuff to check correct?

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #101
Im doubting a cracked manifold or popped fire ring. Youd hear that and pull codes. ( hopefully)
im thinking the post-downpipe gasket because of no codes, but exhaust smell and more popping. Arms in a cast so I’m having a shop do the exhaust/gasket swap on Friday. Portable carbon monoxide detector comes in Friday night so if it’s still an issue I can go to the dealer as a safety issue.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #102
Stock exhaust reinstalled, fresh gasket. Still get eyes burning and exhaust taste/smell with windups up and vents on.

have been moving a CO meter around the car, peaked at 13ppm so far (which isn’t great but not specifically harmful).

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Are you missing a drain plug in the trunk area?? One right under the spare would let exhaust and other smells in. Just something to check quick.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #104
Are you missing a drain plug in the trunk area?? One right under the spare would let exhaust and other smells in. Just something to check quick.
I will check! While the CO readings are “safe”, I still get the eye-burning feeling and have had what I thought was a lingering chest cold since Christmas. If I drive with the windows down I don’t feel like I’m still carrying around the cold, so it’s in there *somewhere*. I also read about tightening the rear hatch as well, I’m looking into how to do that.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Also is that air filter thing under the cowl new? Or is it full of gunk and dirty grime?? ( inlet for the hvac) I washed mine but i need to replace it. It was sooooo nasty. Lol

I will check! While the CO readings are “safe”, I still get the eye-burning feeling and have had what I thought was a lingering chest cold since Christmas. If I drive with the windows down I don’t feel like I’m still carrying around the cold, so it’s in there *somewhere*. I also read about tightening the rear hatch as well, I’m looking into how to do that.
Did you get this figured out?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I did get some rust prevention on my exhaust and are surprised at how strong the smell can get, and how long it is taking to burn off.