Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Very slight oil burning smell when coming to a stop. Is my list of stuff to check correct?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The phone is actually a good idea, provided you can get clear video. A sticky pair of gloves should help with fumble fingers. Just ask some NFL athletes. You could even tape it to a meter-stick or metal rod or long angle.

Does keeping it on recirculate have an impact? If you can't smell it outside the car, but can inside, either you have a leak somewhere in the ventilation system, or the smell is emanating from a source that is close to the intake on the passenger side of the firewall.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Still can't locate anything specific, though I'm starting to notice a bit more of a raw gas smell too. Still doesn't seem to be coming from the exhaust pipe, it's like it's under the car. Sniffing around the top of the engine is still inconclusive, it just smells like hot metal, not burning oil or raw fuel. Only 22k miles, I don't think I've killed my stock cat, and it wouldn't explain the burned oil smell.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Outside the Box: After awhile (weeks) it got to the point of eye-watering... and originally I thought the smell was emanating from cars up ahead of me in the morning traffic. Longer story short, the smell was melting plastic from a wire harness for the blower motor. The metal was defective and had corroded. So the contacts were basically resistors, converting a significant percentage of the energy flowing through them into heat. This was a past car of course; not a FiST.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Well a new clue. I just popped open my oil cap after a drive and it smells like I’m running straight gas as oil :| not slightly gassy like an old lawnmower, but like pure gas after ~30 minutes of driving at 67 Fahrenheit ambient. This doesn’t seem normal, not on any of my other cars at least. Just changed oil about 600 miles ago. Poor fuel economy and more than usual popping during decel. From reading sounds like maybe HPFP?

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Evap system functioning normally? Fuel evaporates incredibly easily, rapidly... even more as you open the cap and lower the pressure in the engine case. But then, it's not unusual to see vapors coming out of the hole when removing the oil cap. Check again after a bit.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Subbing to follow. This might be the reason for my bad fuel milage lately. ( 30 mpg regardless of temp sucks.)

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well a new clue. I just popped open my oil cap after a drive and it smells like I’m running straight gas as oil :| not slightly gassy like an old lawnmower, but like pure gas after ~30 minutes of driving at 67 Fahrenheit ambient. This doesn’t seem normal, not on any of my other cars at least. Just changed oil about 600 miles ago. Poor fuel economy and more than usual popping during decel. From reading sounds like maybe HPFP?
The best way to deal with this is send in the OIl sample to Blackstone laboratories to give you definite proof too much oil in the fuel.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My biggest tell tale symptom is the fuel economy drop and the excesssive popping and banging on decel. ( loud enough that i worry about being pulled over, even though i have a stock cat still)

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
I checked after it cooled overnight and it’s still like I just sniffed my gas cap and not the oil filler. Blech.

need to pull off my turbo smart dv and probably my intake and take it in. Really wishing I hadn’t just finished selling off most of my other cars right now lol.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
When you do keep us updated. As your repair may be on my list of things to try

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
I finally found some oil, like fine mist around the oil cap. It’s not drips or spill but a fine mist. I’ve never had an oil cap leak, but the crankcase is pressurized, right?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Crankcases get pressurized from blowby, but that's the purpose of the PCV valve, to release the pressure back into the induction system. If you are having excess crankcase pressure, it's either an indication of too much blow by (i.e. worn, broken, or improperly seated rings) or not getting rid of the pressure (i.e. blocked or stuck PCV valve). The oil smelling like gas would possibly suggest excess blowby of unburned fuel. Or maybe even a cylinder where the fuel isn't burning and you end up washing the cylinder wall with fuel.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If your rings are worn....you will usually also be burning it. So if the oil level is proper I'd factor that out. I'd also recommend getting an oil sample done as this will tell you what is in the oil and how the engine is wearing normal or abnormal. It will tell you if your having abnormal amounts of gas in with the oil. FYI.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
Checked again, oil changed recently and now it’s reading way high, cold and rechecked hot. Smells like gas. Probably can’t take in til after Xmas.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Check valve in the pcv not holding maybe?

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #40
Who changed the oil ?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
same valvoline place that always does it. Had me change the oil because of the burning smell, about 2-3k earlier than usual. They didn’t overfill, they always bring me the dipstick to check.