Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Volume knob issue

Recently my volume knob on the dash started to turn the volume up when I turn it down (turning left). It does this 10% of the time. Its really annoying when I go to turn the volume down and it goes all the way to MAX.....

Anyone else have this issue? Any fix? Steering wheel volume works fine... I suppose the volume knob on the dash isn't necessary but Id like to love the knob issue if anyone else has experienced this.

thanks in advace!

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Recently my volume knob on the dash started to turn the volume up when I turn it down (turning left). It does this 10% of the time. Its really annoying when I go to turn the volume down and it goes all the way to MAX.....

Anyone else have this issue? Any fix? Steering wheel volume works fine... I suppose the volume knob on the dash isn't necessary but Id like to love the knob issue if anyone else has experienced this.

thanks in advace!
You could try a system reset for Sync 3, if that's the system you have. You press and hold the seek up button while pressing the radio power button. It's worth a try, and doesn't lose any of your settings if I remember correctly.
1653491518283.png

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
You could try a system reset for Sync 3, if that's the system you have. You press and hold the seek up button while pressing the radio power button. It's worth a try, and doesn't lose any of your settings if I remember correctly.
View attachment 48944
Or just pull the number 10 fuse for a bit. It sometimes works better than the master reset.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With the old knobs that were completely analog, this issue would manifest as static.

With the digitally processed knobs, it shows up as an unpredictable response to input.
The signal from the knob is so noisy, jittery, that the computer can't really tell what direction you're turn it.
My Dad's old Sony Amplifier does the same thing. The volume knob is rarely used since it's controlled via remote.
What I typically do is turn the stereo OFF, go buck wild turning the knob back and forth a several seconds.
That knocks the oxidation off and works fine for some time after turn it back on.
Of course the impact is temporary but again, rarely used.

I believe they used to use electrical contact cleaner for the old UHF/VHF analog tuner knobs.
I'd follow that up with some silicon spray. "Blaster" and "Liquid Wrench" make some good sprays.
The spray helps seal out air, making it harder for it to oxidize again.

Question that becomes clear though, what's the easiest way to get the these chemicals onto the needy bits of the potentiometer?