Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warm it up....don't warm it up?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, it's plugged in all the time and left out in the open. I've had it over six years now without any problems and it's been plugged in since I got it. I live in Eastern NC, so it sees hotter temps than cold. I do use a sunshade year round and have 35% tint on my windows so it never really gets direct sunlight. The screen seems slightly sluggish when it's cold but that is about it.

I don't really go anywhere that I feel the need to hide it. I guess that's why I just leave it plugged in all the time.
Good to hear the Accessport can survive an NC summer. It can get pretty hot here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's really all it is. If you have an AP, you can monitor coolant and oil temps, and it does take a while to really get warm.

I really like the low boost mode for that. I keep it in low mode as long as possible until it's warm. It's also my favorite mode in icy/low traction situations.
If I'm getting on the freeway, it's going in full boost mode, but at least it's warmed up a bit.
Yes. I also own an AP which I have not even 'married' to the car yet.

But unlike haste, I AM a bit paranoid about leaving it in the car.

So I bought a less desirable to most thieves, and less than a quarter the cost (and therefore much less of an out in the open mounted 'risk' as it looks nothing like an AP), Ultra Gauge to leave in the car to monitor all of the same reported PIDs as the AP does, save for the 'interpolated/guesstimated' oil temp, and actual O.A.R.. [wink]

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Yes. I also own an AP which I have not even 'married' to the car yet.

But unlike haste, I AM a bit paranoid about leaving it in the car.

So I bought a less desirable to most thieves, and less than a quarter the cost (and therefore much less of an out in the open mounted 'risk' as it looks nothing like an AP), Ultra Gauge to leave in the car to monitor all of the same reported PIDs as the AP does, save for the 'interpolated/guesstimated' oil temp, and actual O.A.R.. [wink]
Smart. I'd never leave my AP in my car. You're just inviting for it to be stolen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DI Turbo and sloppy (rich, wet mixture) plus cold start and cold idle = diluted oil (total mass of oil diluted with fuel and water over time) and also = washing oil layer off cylinder wall.

Cold idling increases the likelihood of the above.

While we're here, make sure you heat soak the engine weekly in cold environments to burn off fuel and water that occur during cold operation (even the warm up phase).

Once again, driving cures and prevents many ailments.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
DI Turbo and sloppy (rich, wet mixture) plus cold start and cold idle = diluted oil (total mass of oil diluted with fuel and water over time) and also = washing oil layer off cylinder wall.

Cold idling increases the likelihood of the above.

While we're here, make sure you heat soak the engine weekly in cold environments to burn off fuel and water that occur during cold operation (even the warm up phase).

Once again, driving cures and prevents many ailments.
POIFECT ADVISE!! [twothumb][twothumb]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
View attachment 47023
View attachment 47024
Seriously, good take. Get it up to operating temperature for a good long time if you can, and take it to redline now and then to get the valves nice and hot so you don't get deposits.
If taking your car to redline helps the engine, my ZX3 engine should be good for another 200k🤣

Fiestig

If taking your car to redline helps the engine, my ZX3 engine should be good for another 200k🤣
Funny you mention that... My 06 ZX3 that I bought new was at 508K when I sold it off and redline was extremely common territory and ran like a champ... sooooooo... it really should run better than new ;)

(granted I take more than regular service to extremes :geek:)

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Funny you mention that... My 06 ZX3 that I bought new was at 508K when I sold it off and redline was extremely common territory and ran like a champ... sooooooo... it really should run better than new ;)

(granted I take more than regular service to extremes :geek:)
Well, that's good to know! Hopefully mine will also make it to 500k.