Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warm it up....don't warm it up?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Had a good laugh this morning when looking at the weather report. It seem the weather folks are also I.C. engine experts.

https://www.foxweather.com/learn/how-to-maximize-your-cars-fuel-economy-when-temperatures-drop

"Fluids in your engine move slower when it's cold outside, thus lowering your vehicle's fuel economy. It also takes longer for your engine to reach its optimal fuel-efficient temperature, which affects your vehicle more if you're taking a shorter trip.

Warming up your vehicle before driving wastes gas, too. If you're idling, your car is getting 0 miles to the gallon."

The choice is and always has been drive a cold engine and lose mpg or warm it up and lose mpg. We'll take the warm up engine first and eat the 25 cents in gas to do it.

Funny, I remember this debate 55 years ago. A local service station in the late '60's when they were actually service places had the slogan "Take it slow, don't start and go!" to encourage warming up cars. The car manuals, ours included, only reference to engine temp is to state what is "normal". I prefer not to drive an "abnormal" temp engine, over or under temp, LOL! Ford nor others suggest warming a car up as this would have to be done in the fed mileage tests and all companies want the absolute highest mileage. So the manuals say zip about warming up an engine, just what "normal" temps are and leaves it up to us to decide what to do. Reminds me of this movie scene.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1zr_wgC1E

Growing up with carbureted cars, we always warmed them up when it was cold outside, as they would hesitate and/or stall if we didn't, which could be a safety issue on the road.
With fuel injection, that is much less of a problem. My mid-80s SAABs had owners manuals that shaped my take on the warm up debate- plug it into a block heater if it is below 20°F, start it and scrape the windows/ sweep the snow off, then hop in drive, taking it easy until she is up to temp.
Want your engine to spend the most possible time and revs at below normal operating temperatures? Let it idle.
I may give it some extra time if it is really cold out, like when I'm up in Fairbanks visiting family, but generally have found that a block heater and good oil go a long ways.