Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Warning!!! contact between front springs and strut tower is possible

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The sound I was hearing was more of a clack or tap than a clunk, and it went away when I reverted to stock top hats. I'm convinced that the adjustable, spherical top hats themselves were fine, its just that they increased NVH enough to amplify regular chassis sounds, or maybe introduce a new one that was laready on the threshold.

However, when I first installed the Swift springs with my oem struts and top hats, the springs were contacting the inside of the strut towers. That was a different sound, more like a bang, on compression. As mentioned above, I massaged the inside of the strut towers and took care of it. There's plenty of room for that mod.
That may be what I'm experiencing also* it sounds like it's spring related. Got any pics of how and what you did? I'm curious 🤔

Sorry, no pics. I removed the front wheels. Without removing the struts, I located the scuffing on the inside of the strut towers. I used a wooded dowel that was just small enough diameter to fit between the coils, and inserted it to make contact with the scuff marks on the inside of the towers. Insert the dowel at the most perpendicular (to the inside of the tower) you can get it, so that force of the blows is most direct. I used a dead-blow hammer until I could see an indentation where each scuff mark was.

It doesn't take much force if the dowel is lined up well. Because I went for the minimum adjustment possible, it took two tries to eliminate the contact. Remember, the strut/spring is in full droop/rebound when you are working on it. So, while there may be clearance in that position, there might not be when the car is on the ground.