Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Well...what a slap in the Face!

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Any bolt on parts to improve the performance of a 3 cylinder engine will have to be capable of near miracles to make a noticeable AND durable upgrade in output. That 1.5 must be working at full boil(and i mean that quite literally) to nearly match the 1.6 output.

You must design engines in your free time to know all of that......

me32

1000 Post Club
Just to let you know the ST started over seas then came here. So maybe we will get a version of a new ST In the future.

Ya and he misses out on the fact that the 3 cylinder actually puts out more TQ and HP than our 4's stock. Lol oh and his comment about TQ is laughable.
I'm not trashing 3 cylinder turbo fiestas. But tbere are limits. How much hp and tq gain do you guys think could be had for $1,200 bucks in bolt ons? My original reference was regarding potential gains from bolt ons. Not stock output. I Prob should have been clearer.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm not trashing 3 cylinder turbo fiestas. But tbere are limits. How much hp and tq gain do you guys think could be had for $1,200 bucks in bolt ons? My original reference was regarding potential gains from bolt ons. Not stock output. I Prob should have been clearer.
Not to mention that's a lot more strain per connecting rod, the crankshaft, and the bearings.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Nothing really new. Ford EU is back to getting the very best cars and Ford NA is back to building trucks and SUV's. This started to happen under Fields and accelerated under Hackett. There was a rumor last week from one of the big news sites saying Ford may spin off their European brand because it isn't as profitable as Hackett would like. While nothing official has been said and I have tried to fish around at events for the last two years on the subject, the general feeling is that the Fiesta is dead in the US after this year. No chance of us getting the updated version, we instead get the EcoSport. The Focus goes to China to make room for other products (not anything worth buying) and there is reason to believe only Europe will get a ST model. If you want an affordable, fun to drive, enjoyable small car, then Ford is not your mobility company. They have you covered if you want a truck, SUV, CUV, or autonomous ride hailing taxi. One Ford is dead.
Not to mention, Ford is back to putting fake plastic scoops on their Mustangs. Meh.

I stopped being a die-hard fan of any brand a long time ago. Automotive enthusiasts are becoming a smaller part of the market segment, and someone is bound to make a car to satisfy our needs. If not, I'll build one. Love my FiST though.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well see here is the deal. First off Ford UK who builds Fiesta ST engines and Fiesta engines is not new to the 3 cylinder deal. They have had time to figure things out. The 1 liters are very relaible engines even if they are small.

Second off you guys get hung up on the idea that if its a 3 cylinder is must be weaker throwing out all logical analyis of the concept. The engine is only 100cc's smaller than our current engines. Therefore output and theorotical output should not be adversely effected provided you use properly strong components.

They key to power with turbo charging is proper air fuel ratio combined with good flow amd components to handle the increased pressure of forced induction. Most factory forced induction engines are purposely boosted below their full capabilities by the factory for the sake of longevity.

Now we saw that back in the day with Nissan's famed SR20DET, their RB25DET, CA18DET, RB26DET, all of which were quite capable of much higher horsepower . Our current FiST engines are the same as well as the other Ford Ecoboost engines.

So why would it be different all of sudden when Ford UK is known for building stout little Turbo engines?

It's your disbelief about a 3 cylinder that automatically makes you think it could not be possible. If you stick a larger Turbo than stock on that 1.5 it stands to reason you will get more HP and if they could extract what they have in a production engine than it stands to reason its got room for more. As the factory always goes conservative in the name of reliability.

When People ar getting 500hp out of Mustang Ecoboost 2.3's. People are getting 300+ HP on stock internal FiST 1.6's, there is no reason why the 1.5 would not also be strong enough to handle a bigger turbo ( around $1200 a little more or less) .

To build the engine at the peak of its capabilities like some of you are trying to claim for daily driving cars is ludicrous.

Everyone knows the minute you build an engine to the peak of its capabilities that reliability goes down drastically. Race engines are not torn apart and rebuilt often just for giggles. Its because they are at the peak of their capabilities and when that is done longevitity i.e. Reliability suffers.

Hmm automobile manufacturer going to sell a engine at the peak of its output capabilities and offer warranty. Knowing that it will not last long? Lol

I applauded Ford when I learned they were bringing the Fiesta ST over here. I couldn't believe that we were able to buy a cheap fast Ford and it really turned me on to the brand and wanting to be loyal to the brand like I started to be years ago with Mitsubishi (up until recently...they broke my heart) and its almost like Ford is doing the same thing. I'm sorry I just don't want a Mustang... With the kind of cars I grew up loving, I couldn't believe I could get a 2700lb. turbo, hatch, recaros, manual, etc....for well under 25k. It was a dream come true...a throw-back to all the cars I loved but we never really got... you kinda had to build it to spec what the rest of the world would get. But of course all good things seem to go to hell and now you just can't get a good little cheap performance car...everything now seems to top over 30k. [mecry]

It sucks but try to look forward to other fun cars that are still around or some of the new ones coming to the market (Hyundai Veloster N). I think there will always be a Gti in some form or another. Honda brought back the Si and the Type-R, Subaru sells a lot of Wrx/Sti so they'll be around for some time to come. If it's not something new, maybe look at something older that you might have to build into what you want.

If our damn governments would just harmonize their basically equivalent emission and crash standards, we fat North Americans would be probably getting Renault Meganes, Citroen C4s, Polo GTIs, Swift Sports, etc. We capitalists just wont level the playing field will we...

Sent from my iPhone using Glue and macaroni

On a side note, I'll bet more than anything that this new FiST will have a much better sounding exhaust note. IMO our cars have a very good sound for a 4-cyl turbo car and I think it will be no different with this new 3.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If our damn governments would just harmonize their basically equivalent emission and crash standards, we fat North Americans would be probably getting Renault Meganes, Citroen C4s, Polo GTIs, Swift Sports, etc. We capitalists just wont level the playing field will we...

...as well as no reason to NOT be able to get the new FiST, or any other performance variants Ford offers to the rest of the world (like FUTURE RSes), shipped over here (for an extra shipping fee of course). ;) [mad]

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

The problem is that they aren't equivalent - the US emphasizes NOX and particulate reduction while the EU emphasizes CO2 and CO reduction; if you're ever in Flanders - anywhere in Flanders - take a big breath in and you'll see why the US tracks NOX and soot. I don't think that makes a huge difference in gas engines, but it does require a separate, costly test cycle. Also, I think that EU cars have a lower bumper height than US cars.

Having driven more than my fair share of Renaults, Citroëns, Peugeots, SEATs, and Skodas, I don't think that we're missing much on this side of the pond. The euro-cars are novel but I prefer our US versions and brands. That said, I've a friend with a fire-breathing SEAT Leon that's a blast and I love the Citroën DS5, even though it's a POS.

HBEcoBeaST

I honestly think it's more regional market demand than safety/emmissions reasons that keep us from getting a lot of hot hatch style cars including the newest generation of FiST.

In the USA we drive more, commute farther, have more traffic, like bigger cars, have bigger, bumpier, more congested roads. Just not the same as Europe.

Unfortunately, many Americans commute in rush hour traffic and a car is just the box they sit in while getting from A to B. There's less and less demand for a small, low, demanding(OMG it's a manual?!?) car. Even car enthusiast numbers are dwindling. Case in point: the popularity of the Prius....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #38
Why is it that almost every single news clip or movie clip I see that is taken in Europe all the cars seem so dumpy and frumpy? Shouldn't we be seeing all sorts of awsome poop driving around there...since they get all the stuff we should be getting? But America Is where Ford was started/Founded isn't it? So why do they continue dumping their biggest supporters?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Why is it that almost every single news clip or movie clip I see that is taken in Europe all the cars seem so dumpy and frumpy? Shouldn't we be seeing all sorts of awsome poop driving around there...since they get all the stuff we should be getting? But America Is where Ford was started/Founded isn't it? So why do they continue dumping their biggest supporters?

Maaaaybe you’ve been watching too many “eastern” European movies? Heh..

You aren’t wrong, there are a lot of crap cars produced for the EU market, some gems though. Gems we can’t even sniff the plastic of. Such as 6 generations of Fiesta, the MK2 Focus, and my preference: ALL the reasonable long roofs! I’d be driving a FoST wagon right now if I could! These are just the Fords...

I will likely just drive the ST until it dies, and spend my potential “new car” monies on the next thing that our market will kill, motorcycle...

me32

1000 Post Club

Because ford makes more money's on selling trucks, SUV, and mustangs. The problem is that unfortunately the ST crowd isn't Ford's biggest supporters in the US because ford is having to drop pricing to sell them new. The demand was high when it started and has fallen since.