Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What can you tell me about the Mountune Street brake pads?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I currently have the ceramic factory pads, I actually like ceramic with their near zero dust and FAR from as bad as bite as some make out to believe, so how would the Mountune street pads compare? They say they are "organic" compound, does this mean ceramic? Also, I have 28k on the car, I think I have a good 50% left on the pads so the rotors should be good for a while too right? TIA for any thoughts!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Organic is not ceramic.
You have three pad types that make up the majority organic, semi metallic, and ceramic.
I always replace rotors but that's me. Technically the right way is to measure them if they are within specifications, and you're happy with them it's okay to reuse them.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Organic is not ceramic.
You have three pad types that make up the majority organic, semi metallic, and ceramic.
I always replace rotors but that's me. Technically the right way is to measure them if they are within specifications, and you're happy with them it's okay to reuse them.
Thanks for clarifying about the organic vs. ceramic, looks like I have some more research to do...

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have not put them on the fiesta yet but I always used hawk HPS pads on my focus. Just buy good rotors to go with them. They will be going on the fist when it's time. Great bite and last a long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I have not put them on the fiesta yet but I always used hawk HPS pads on my focus. Just buy good rotors to go with them. They will be going on the fist when it's time. Great bite and last a long time.
And those are ceramic, right? I know one of those major Hawk ones is ceramic... Otherwise, I'm now back to leaning to EBC RedStuff or the Hawk ceramics.

I have the mountune yellow street pads in the front paired with centric cryogenic rotors. Once bedded I like them a lot. They have about the same stopping power as oem but they are not as grabby and they make less dust. The thing is you have to retune your leg when getting on the brakes. The oems are more like a light switch, the mountunes are more progressive. Overall I prefer the mountunes for driving smoothly. I had to do an emergency stop a couple weeks back, I put the pedal to the mat and they saved my ass. But when you do really want to stop suddenly you have to take the pedal down further; that’s recalibrating your braking foot. I still have the stocks in the rear with 40% pad left, but most of the brake force is coming from the front anyways.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I have the mountune yellow street pads in the front paired with centric cryogenic rotors. Once bedded I like them a lot. They have about the same stopping power as oem but they are not as grabby and they make less dust. The thing is you have to retune your leg when getting on the brakes. The oems are more like a light switch, the mountunes are more progressive. Overall I prefer the mountunes for driving smoothly. I had to do an emergency stop a couple weeks back, I put the pedal to the mat and they saved my ass. But when you do really want to stop suddenly you have to take the pedal down further; that’s recalibrating your braking foot. I still have the stocks in the rear with 40% pad left, but most of the brake force is coming from the front anyways.
I think you missed the part where I said I have the factory ceramics, so I can't relate to the normal stock pads hehe... but I did research more and organic are more like a cross between semi-metallic and ceramic in how they perform and with a compromise on dust too... so yeah, I've already decided to stick to Hawk or EBC ceramic now, but that's good feedback, thank you!

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I believe the HPS pads are semi metallic material. I have had bad experiences with ceramic pads. They would get a lil bit hot on some regular down hill roads with a red light at the end and literally stopped stopping on me. I'm pushing harder and the car kept going. I got good rotors and those hawk hps pads and I'm never going back. I would rather have more dust and confidence in my brakes then clean wheels.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I believe the HPS pads are semi metallic material. I have had bad experiences with ceramic pads. They would get a lil bit hot on some regular down hill roads with a red light at the end and literally stopped stopping on me. I'm pushing harder and the car kept going. I got good rotors and those hawk hps pads and I'm never going back. I would rather have more dust and confidence in my brakes then clean wheels.
That's really strange considering that ceramics have better fade resistance....

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Good stuff, helps to clarify quite a bit... So while ceramic can handle a bit higher temps they do end up absorbing heat more poorly and aren't good for racing where they will heat up over and over again... So back to the thread topic, I find it a little strange that the Mountune Street are of the cheap organic material, but again, looks like any of the 3 major type of compounds can also be made cheap or expensive to help blur the differences... heh, nothing is ever black or white with our cars is it?

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
That's really strange considering that ceramics have better fade resistance....
All I know is that shit happened. Maybe I got shit pads or something. Dunno. Scared the crap out of me when went 15 feet past the limit line. I also had a bad experience with Castrol and some pppl love the stuff. All this is just my .02 cents. Happy braking!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
All I know is that shit happened. Maybe I got shit pads or something. Dunno. Scared the crap out of me when went 15 feet past the limit line. I also had a bad experience with Castrol and some pppl love the stuff. All this is just my .02 cents. Happy braking!
Makes sense... I'm think I'm going to stay with a known good quantity in EBC or Hawk for my ceramics and I should be good.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Makes sense... I'm think I'm going to stay with a known good quantity in EBC or Hawk for my ceramics and I should be good.
When I was searching for some rotors and pads not too long ago ebc sells packages with red or yellow stuff and nice slotted rotors. Get the part #s that fit the fist then look up those part #s on Amazon. Ended up being way cheaper. Hopefully it still is.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
When I was searching for some rotors and pads not too long ago ebc sells packages with red or yellow stuff and nice slotted rotors. Get the part #s that fit the fist then look up those part #s on Amazon. Ended up being way cheaper. Hopefully it still is.

Yep, I found the RedStuff and 5.0 on Amazon and saved them to my shopping list, thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also had a bad experience with Castrol and some pppl love the stuff. All this is just my .02 cents. Happy braking!

Castrol LMA (the DOT 3/4 STREET stuff), or their crazily priced, React/SRF RACING fluid??

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Castrol LMA (the DOT 3/4 STREET stuff), or their crazily priced, React/SRF RACING fluid??
Full synthetic engine oil years ago. Had 5k on it and according to the diesel master tech that tore down my engine said the oil broke down. Got the engine replaced under warranty at the time.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Full synthetic engine oil years ago. Had 5k on it and according to the diesel master tech that tore down my engine said the oil broke down. Got the engine replaced under warranty at the time.

Oh, OK, I thought you were referring to their BRAKE fluids.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I currently have the ceramic factory pads, I actually like ceramic with their near zero dust and FAR from as bad as bite as some make out to believe, so how would the Mountune street pads compare? They say they are "organic" compound, does this mean ceramic? Also, I have 28k on the car, I think I have a good 50% left on the pads so the rotors should be good for a while too right? TIA for any thoughts!
Get out the Micrometer and check the rotors thickness. If it was me I personally replace pads and rotors at the same time regardless of mileage. I run Carbotech 1521 bobcat pads and slotted front and rear rotors from Rockauto....no one had rotors cheaper than them...NO ONE. Good luck!