Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

what does it take to get 300 whp?

I am looking into getting a fiesta as a fun car to go screw around in now that the bad weather is letting up, yea yea i know i have a taco i need it to get through the 7+ inches of snow i get regularly so i'd like to try and keep it cheap since most "fun cars wont make it" All of that aside i am looking into getting a fiesta and i was wondering how reasonable it is to get a fully built that peaks at about 300 whp, i would like to get all of the side things all up to "upgrade spec" to try and make it as bullet proof as possible as i have a habit of thrashing cars and i grew up racing and it would not be past me to crash it and say screw it and make it into a rally car. I know that a turbo will likely be needed to get to this number and i would like to stay away from methanol if possible as i am not going for huge numbers. From what I can find the mr280 kit from mountune seems like a pretty good place to start. The question is if as i finish off all the rest of the parts that it doesn't already have like a down tube and a minor engine rebuild could get me up to 300 hp or if i would need to move onto more extreme upgrades like water meth, camshaft(best case install and forget and would be first on my list if possible), and double injectors to reach 300 hp or would i need to set the bar a little lower around 270-290 whp?

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
How much are you willing to spend? That is the biggest question!
im just trying to see how cheap i can go for this somewhat artificial goal of 300 bhp and at this point i have a goal of 12,000(includes car as well) but the further i watch the economy drop the better that number is looking. I will also be doing all of the work bar any alignments for new wheels/tires/suspension and more difficult engine modifications ie camshafts and the like, i am coming from just finishing a tacoma

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If your trying to do a cost effective "built" motor, go with something other than mountune internals. I know, i bought them... But I was on a time crunch and money didnt fucking matter. If you have the time, buy the wiseco piston and rod set from whoosh ($1,299.00) then have a shop build the bottom end for you. That will set you up to be safe up to 500 hp. If you pick a good shop, they shouldn't charge you too much just shop around before you decide. Be sure to pick up a car with low miles so you can use the std bore. With that out of the way I'd suggest either a whoosh v3 intercooler or a map intercooler. Those are the cheapest garrett cores your going to find and are perfect for 300 HP. Next your gonna need a turbo. I'd highly recommend going used as it'll cut down on cost. Look for an x47. Also as an alternative right at this very moment panda motorsports has a 2554 for sale for 1400 dollars and it comes with a tune from them. All of that will get you to 300 safely. Your looking at 4 grand approximately. With that being said you could totally not build the motor and be in even cheaper.

Last edited:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am looking into getting a fiesta as a fun car to go screw around in now that the bad weather is letting up, yea yea i know i have a taco i need it to get through the 7+ inches of snow i get regularly so i'd like to try and keep it cheap since most "fun cars wont make it" All of that aside i am looking into getting a fiesta and i was wondering how reasonable it is to get a fully built that peaks at about 300 whp, i would like to get all of the side things all up to "upgrade spec" to try and make it as bullet proof as possible as i have a habit of thrashing cars and i grew up racing and it would not be past me to crash it and say screw it and make it into a rally car. I know that a turbo will likely be needed to get to this number and i would like to stay away from methanol if possible as i am not going for huge numbers. From what I can find the mr280 kit from mountune seems like a pretty good place to start. The question is if as i finish off all the rest of the parts that it doesn't already have like a down tube and a minor engine rebuild could get me up to 300 hp or if i would need to move onto more extreme upgrades like water meth, camshaft(best case install and forget and would be first on my list if possible), and double injectors to reach 300 hp or would i need to set the bar a little lower around 270-290 whp?
Cheap, fast, reliable: pick two. The below recommendation should be reliable although when you are looking at cars <$10K you are talking high mileage and likely beat up.

275-285WHP

2014 or 2015 Fiesta ST with > 80K Miles: $9-10K Used
Cobb Accessport: $400 Used
Larger FMIC: $300 Used
S280 Turbo Kit: $1500 New
Catted Downpipe: $300 New
GFB DV+ Diverter Valve Upgrade: $120 New
Custom Tune (93 Octane): $400
Upgraded RMM: $120
Sticky Tires: $400

~$13.5K

For more power, you will need to look at spending another $2K to add auxiliary fuel and additional tuning.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Cheap, fast, reliable: pick two. The below recommendation should be reliable although when you are looking at cars <$10K you are talking high mileage and likely beat up.

275-285WHP

~$13.5K

For more power, you will need to look at spending another $2K to add auxiliary fuel and additional tuning.
Forgot the rmm and diverter. Thanks JDG.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9

275-285WHP

~$13.5K

This is very similar to what i was going for but i do have a few questions, first off im drawing a blank of FMIC for what ever reason, some help would be appreciated? what would one do if they wanted to take something like this to the next level? and the only reason that I said the mountune kit is because [SCAMMER ALERT]/had one as the start of his fiesta build and is basically points out that its the "easy way" to get a lot of the little things that you need, can i get some thoughts on that? and im very opportunistic and with how this economy is going id be surprised if i couldn't get an early fiesta for 8,000 from what im seeing right now and how long this is about to last.

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
if you look at my signature I made 286whp
im not super familiar with all of the accompanying upgrades, do u think that u could get up to 300 hp with what u have now or would u just say go for a little bigger turbo and then work around that?

jeff

2000 Post Club
304whp/337wtq still bulletproof no issues 2 years later...stock motor 93+here:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NtaeQZBRo

I also have a few threads here on the topic, you can find if you search my starred threads.

Hope that helps.

A reliable 300whp

COBB AP $550
Custom Tune $200
S280 turbo upgrade $2000
FMIC $500
Intake $400
Downpipe $200
BOV $250
Step colder plugs $50
Misc $300

I’d expect 4500 on the high end for a reliable setup. People have done it on sub $3000 and have been reliable.

Ex of a cheaper setup.
Hybrid $1500
Used COBB AP $350
Tune $200
Spark plugs $50
FMIC $400
Drop in filter $50
DV $125

This setup on e30 should make 300whp for $2700 or run an s280 instead and still make 300whp for under 3k.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #18
A reliable 300whp

COBB AP $550
Custom Tune $200
S280 turbo upgrade $2000
FMIC $500
Intake $400
Downpipe $200
BOV $250
Step colder plugs $50
Misc $300

I’d expect 4500 on the high end for a reliable setup. People have done it on sub $3000 and have been reliable.

Ex of a cheaper setup.
Hybrid $1500
Used COBB AP $350
Tune $200
Spark plugs $50
FMIC $400
Drop in filter $50
DV $125

This setup on e30 should make 300whp for $2700 or run an s280 instead and still make 300whp for under 3k.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks man, ill use that as a loose guide, 3 things tho, is this on 93 octane, and what is misc for, just loose fittings and such, and how much boost do these engines take well?