Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What drives you to throw a ton of time/money into extreme-modding a new Fiesta ST instead of just buying a faster car?

What drives anyone to buy a car and mod it? If you just upgrade to a faster car, it may not have the style or features you want. Plus, you'll just have the same car that other people already have. It's remodeling a house to put "your" stamp on it: Perfecting a car that might have ticked a lot of boxes for you, but not all of them.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm driving a EcoBoost Mustang right now.
I don't care for it much, It feels generic. Sure it will out accelerate a Fiesta ST easily it picks up speed great . It doesn't have any character though. The Fiesta ST I love it. It's full of character joyful and happy.

It's a special car build it as you wish.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What drives anyone to buy a car and mod it? If you just upgrade to a faster car, it may not have the style or features you want. Plus, you'll just have the same car that other people already have. It's remodeling a house to put "your" stamp on it: Perfecting a car that might have ticked a lot of boxes for you, but not all of them.
^^^THIS!!
Admittedly, the Scoobies are faster, and probably more 'stable' in adverse conditions (with the proper tires of course).

But go to an ARA rally event, and look at what MOST of the competitors (whom I cannot blame since their rally oriented aftermarket is 1000x what ours is) spectators, and the majority of the workers are driving; EVERYBODY and their great grand 4th Auntie are driving either an STI, WRX, Forester, or Crosstrek, either modded, or bone stock.
They even have a whole meetup thing now with this "Subaru Ambassador" program at these events, there are so many of them.
Ironically, that company is not even involved with the WORLD Rally Championships any longer (gone since ~2008, but yes, they do sponsor OUR series, and offer decent contingencies for class winners), whereas OUR marque IS still quite competitive in the WRC.

I take pride in having something different at these events, albeit at STPR, there were at least 3 other FiSTs working the event as volunteers, besides all of the competitor Fiestas (R5s/R2Cs/base NA cars), and FiSTs.[:)]

Last edited:
I'm modding my FIST to insure that it will be quicker that my nephews Focus ST. BTW, if I ever happen to win the Lottery the plan is to build a 4 wheel drive FIST with enough power to humiliate a Red Eye Hellcat.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
BTW, if I ever happen to win the Lottery the plan is to build a 4 wheel drive FIST with enough power to humiliate a Red Eye Hellcat.
At that point, you might as well buy an older Mk7 WRC car, take out the turbo inlet restrictor and tune it for such, and try to make it street legal. [driving] [raceflag] [wink]

I enjoy having something different, especially underestimated modded cars. No one took my mazdaspeed seriously then were floored when their v8 couldn't beat a fwd 4 banger turbo (albeit heavily modded). I depend on my Fist for my daily so I don't have any insane mods in the near future, but once its no longer a daily it's gonna be bonkers.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I used to love modding my cars back in my younger days. Changing intakes and exhausts, flashing ECU's with custom tunes, and upgrading suspension components was always something I enjoyed doing. Nowadays though, the cars coming out of the factories are so good that it makes me question if any of that is really even necessary any more. I've come to appreciate vehicles in their stock form. The only mod I've done (if you can even call it that) has been a Cobb air filter. While I won't say I would never mod the FiST, the chances of it happening are pretty slim. I really do enjoy it as-is straight from the factory. Ford nailed it with this one, IMO.
Ditto

I come from the Honda world so lightweight small hatchbacks are my go-to Everytime I'm looking for a car (I've owned BMW's/Veloster/Audi/VW also) .. the Fiesta is all the right mixtures I was looking for, in my mind it's a new age eg hatch with all the torque my 90's Honda's didn't have and sounds 1000x better than any Honda ever could with an exhaust in my eyes (or ears) ... 1.6l engine and factory turbo charged ? I'm in . I never keep any car stock so 14k miles in I'm at 306whp and it's THE car I've always wanted, reliable 🤞 Cheap to own/insure/mod I love how it looks and love when people laugh at the word fiesta until there staring at my brake lights 😁 it's a party on wheels wherever I go 🕺

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
To insure my FIST is faster than my nephews FoST.
With a couple of mods, that shouldn't be hard to do. However, if your nephew adds a couple of mods to his FoST, then all bets are off.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock

With a couple of mods, that shouldn't be hard to do. However, if your nephew adds a couple of mods to his FoST, then all bets are off.

2017 w/Recaros - bone stock
I own both and, unfortunately, it takes more than a couple mods for a FiST to beat a FoST (with some caveats).

It's ironic scooter mentioned that. I'm gonna post my build thread in a few weeks and it will basically be the same premise; making my FiST > my FoST. You can't really base the two vehicles speeds on what you read in magazines. I think MT said a FoST runs a 14.5 and a FiST 15.1 in the quarter. This would seem to indicate the FiST only needs a few mods to beat a FoST. This might be true from a dig because it is pretty hard to get a good launch in my FoST; it spins A LOT. From a roll though, 20-90,..... our FoST (with my wife driving) STOMPED our FiST by multiple car lengths and it was still pulling. I'm stage 1 now and the FoST still pulls away fairly easily. I'm waiting until we move to Ohio and then I'm gonna get a custom 93 tune and we'll see what happens.

So to answer the initial question; I too am trying to make my FiST > FoST :p

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Lots of reasons why for me. I needed a hobby so this is what I chose. I wanted my first new car but I wanted a car I could pay cash for. I could modify it over the years using 1/2 the $ I get in overtime. (other half goes to my other half). I can spend time/energy researching parts and pieces for the car, wait for sales or deals and modify one piece at a time (just like johnny cash). Lastly, it is still a cheap car, so I do not feel too terrible beating on it during a AutoX or eventually writing off its warranty (I did wait quite some time before my first tune for instance, wanted to make sure it was not a lemon)

I personally love the fist otb I do wish it was a tiny bit more rev happy and had more topend instead of the 5or6k die off but long term I wanna make it a part time track car
Thats exactly what the Whoosh turbo gives. It will now pull hard all the way to 7. An almost 2k increase in the powerband.