Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What exhaust do you recommend?

TempeST

I got to hear a Cobb and I was not all that impressed although I will say that my thought of who would buy it was 40 something + people. I am in my 20s and thought it was not much louder than stock for the price. It sounds a little deeper but honestly I rode in another car and in an enclosed spaced I couldn't hear the exhaust even though the car was in front of me. I could hear the blow off but not the exhaust. It is that quiet and in car is roughly the same. If you can I recommend trying to find someone with one even if you have to drive. It looks great and I am jealous of the tips for sure, but seems like a lot of money for a deeper toned stock exhaust. Also I don't know about the muffler but I took out my resonator and it is straight through so getting better flow by removing that will be difficult. I got pretty close to the same sound as the cobb for $40 by removing the resonator. I can confirm it is very quiet even with a catless dp. In car I can hardly hear anything at low speeds and once over about 40 mph tire and wind noise overwhelm the exhaust note so drone is not a problem.

From what I have seen and heard it seems like you can have one of 2 things with our cars. A exhaust that does not drone but also does not fill that want for a strong in car exhaust note. Or a great sounding exhaust that makes driving fun until you get on the interstate and have to deal with the drone. There seems to be no middle ground. I really like the CP-e but have seen where people complain about it being too quiet also. There may be no way to have it all with our cars. Although cut outs seem more and more appealing lol
This was my car he was talking about with the COBB exhaust. My car has the 2J-Racing intake, hence why he could not hear the exhaust inside the car, I am still catted as well. and the "other car" he was comparing this too was a Cat-less and straight piped Fiesta ST with no resonator or muffler. So when he was behind my car that is why he could not hear it.

As for the COBB exhaust having it for about 9000 miles now, I would suggest it to ANYONE that is looking for a subtle exhaust that opens up when WOT. it sounds GREAT IMO. And I have NO drone when on the highway I love it, but I am one of the very few getting rid of it. only because of my upgraded turbo, plus curiosity of what a Vibrant resonator and Magnapack will sound like with 3" exhaust on this car. we shall find out.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
One day I will do the Mountune exhaust assuming I do not change my mind another 5 times.........but until I do other things first ( Brake lines, RMM, shifter, FMIC & tubes) I did the "resonator delete" and am very happy with the sound....doubt it adds any performance and after a 400 mile road trip yesterday I can say zero drone. So if you are on a VERY tight budget then this is an option to get a little lower tone and slightly louder sound. Many aftermarket exhaust systems simply do away with the resonator and add a higher flow muffler. I do not believe there is any real advantage to spending money on a "high performance" exhaust system without addressing air flow from the air cleaner to the tailpipe. So until I save the $2K to do the complete job I will live with my "po' man's" Hi-Po exhaust system. I have also been known in younger years to drill mufflers to "increase air flow" (make louder!) I have since grown older and wiser and learned loud exhausts do not support a stealth mode of misbehaving as does an old guy in a plain white fiesta (ST). I am a true believer in a "Q" ship for fast road travel.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Exhaust is a waste....stock exhaust is just fine....keep your money and get something that will have better net gains than a cool sound. I mulled it over a long time and decided I'd rather a locate my money twords and better upgrade. But hey if you've got the bug do a shit ton of research....I thought the Scorpion system was a nice choice but it can only be had by ordering it from the Uk for the tune of....$1200 shipped. So when I'm over in Amsterdam again I'll just make a pit stop and pick one up for $800 if I can justify not spending my money on DHMs front mount inter cooler with crash bar.

Exhaust is a waste....stock exhaust is just fine....keep your money and get something that will have better net gains than a cool sound. I mulled it over a long time and decided I'd rather a locate my money twords and better upgrade. But hey if you've got the bug do a shit ton of research....I thought the Scorpion system was a nice choice but it can only be had by ordering it from the Uk for the tune of....$1200 shipped. So when I'm over in Amsterdam again I'll just make a pit stop and pick one up for $800 if I can justify not spending my money on DHMs front mount inter cooler with crash bar.
There is a distributor in NC that had one of the scorpion exhausts left in stock a little over a month ago. I almost bought it, but got the Mountune instead because the one they had is actually for the European model and would require a bit of modification. They might still have it. It was at a STEEP discount since it was the last one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At what point (diameter wise) does one start LOSING power with a larger than stock diameter system (assuming stock turbo/intercooler/catted downpipe/etc.), and is it low end torque loss, or an upper range HP loss (IF any)??

The stocker is what, 2.25", and which aftermarket ones are 2.5" diameter or greater?

The old school used to say that there was no such thing as 'too big' an exhaust system on a turbo (or any forced induction) engine, but they were not talking about a 1.6 liter 4 banger either. [???:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I suspect not many due to the fact that the piping is 2.25 rather than 2.5-3.0". Although the sound is rather unique based on that one video by Borla.
Don't they actually manufacture the Ford Performance system, and just put the Ford oval on it instead of their logo??

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is a distributor in NC that had one of the scorpion exhausts left in stock a little over a month ago. I almost bought it, but got the Mountune instead because the one they had is actually for the European model and would require a bit of modification. They might still have it. It was at a STEEP discount since it was the last one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to the Rep in Nc....they no longer stock scorpion exhaust. Then had to contact them in the Uk....it was $1200+ with shipping. With that said a couple hundred more and your at a cyborg turbo by sourskittle. More power better net gains by far over an exhaust system in my eyes. Good luck out there....have fun.

Yeah you can't go too big on a turbo setup, but unless you are going big power it won't gain much. 2.5" should be big enough for 99% of us.