Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What happened to dead hook motor sports?

Stkid93

Premium Account
Are they still around? I don’t see their turbo kits on sale from whoosh and I could have sworn I saw a post saying that they aren’t around anymore. Anyone know what happened ?

To my knowledge DHM has been gone for 5-6 years - can't quite recall what happened as I joined the forums (I believe) shortly after they closed.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
They’re no longer in business. If you want their crashbar TB Performance bought their jigs. Everything else they developed is gone. There are plenty of options for power available from Whooshmotorports, JST Performance, Tune+ and WOR Fab.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also if one actually needs a humongous intercooler, BA's (Bravo Alpha) offering is real close in size and design to the much vaunted/worshiped DHM charge air cooler.

Pro Alloy and Wagner also offer some supersize ICs as well, but will require the TB Performance crash bar to fit/work.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #6
Not asking because I wanted any of their parts or anything. I just happened to notice they were big players at one point even designing a turbo kit. I believe it was called the dhm quickspool kit although from what I heard it didn’t spool quick at all lol.

Their intercoolers do look huge tho, no idea about quality of them. If he went out of business and “pissed a lot of people off along the way” it sounds like he had a lot of trouble with quality control and possibly created bad tunes and blew some motors

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It was more from when he got involved with a hybrid turbo builder (Sourskittles on here, but now long, LONG gone).

Then, due to bad business dealings with/from cooperative efforts with the owner of that company, lost much coin and then started screwing his own customers by not finishing engine builds/tunes, and by taking their money and not providing the products or services, due to insurmountable losses from said dealings. [:(]

Their actual products were very high quality, and quite great, as far as build/workmanship/craftsmanship goes, despite these problems.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
After looking into this as much as I could (considering they have been out of business for like 7-8 years)

it sounds like deadhook was actually doing extremely well at least at 1 point. They did tuning, engine building, and all sorts of stuff for the entire eco boost line. Not just fiestas. And at some point he started selling sour skittles cyborg c39 turbos (I had no idea these were so bad). And there were all sorts of failures. And sour skittle somehow left dead hook to clean up the mess. And because they were so distracted by this, they couldn’t even manage to get tunes out. And when they did finally send them out, they were wrong. With some people waiting months for their base tune. What I don’t get is why didn’t they just stop selling the cyborg turbos after the first few failures? Why did he keep sending out bad turbos to more and more people?

he would charge people 100% up front for engine builds, and keep them waiting forever and wouldn’t give refunds. So people had no choice but to wait. It sounds like he got screwed by someone else’s shotty work. It’s sad but it sounds like he didn’t do his due diligence on the people he agreed to work with.

When ur entire company is focusing on damage control for 1 area, the other areas suffer. Eventually he owed so many people so much money, he was forced to closed down and sell everything off to pay people back.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
One of the hardest parts to being a quality and detail driven success who tries not to isolate themselves from their customers is... keeping up with the workload. No matter how honest and well-intentioned one is, there are days and weeks where one gets burned out, just trying to keep up. We're all more efficient with certain things... like process and paperwork, procurement, technical troubleshooting, preventative resolution or disassembly and building, Many business entrepreneurs get into trouble trying to wear too many hats; doing things their much less efficient with and even terrible at. The more successful ones are more social and able to trust, recruit and delegate out. (and not hesitant about making personnel changes when deemed necessary)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
After looking into this as much as I could (considering they have been out of business for like 7-8 years)

it sounds like deadhook was actually doing extremely well at least at 1 point. They did tuning, engine building, and all sorts of stuff for the entire eco boost line. Not just fiestas. And at some point he started selling sour skittles cyborg c39 turbos (I had no idea these were so bad). And there were all sorts of failures. And sour skittle somehow left dead hook to clean up the mess. And because they were so distracted by this, they couldn’t even manage to get tunes out. And when they did finally send them out, they were wrong. With some people waiting months for their base tune. What I don’t get is why didn’t they just stop selling the cyborg turbos after the first few failures? Why did he keep sending out bad turbos to more and more people?

he would charge people 100% up front for engine builds, and keep them waiting forever and wouldn’t give refunds. So people had no choice but to wait. It sounds like he got screwed by someone else’s shotty work. It’s sad but it sounds like he didn’t do his due diligence on the people he agreed to work with.

When ur entire company is focusing on damage control for 1 area, the other areas suffer. Eventually he owed so many people so much money, he was forced to closed down and sell everything off to pay people back.
Yes, that about sums up the whole sordid ordeal. [wink]