Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of dailying 200 treadwear tires?

My car came with the all seasons, I think 540 treadwear? Have a little over 8K on it and looks like I'll be lucky to get 15k out of the factory tires. I blame the torque, hard to leave the line without at least a chirp and if you're the least bit hot in a corner one of the wheels is spinning. I'm thinking stickier tires. I'd be happy with at least 15k as it looks like that's the best I'm gonna get out of higher mileage rated rubber. Doable?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
My car came with the all seasons, I think 540 treadwear? Have a little over 8K on it and looks like I'll be lucky to get 15k out of the factory tires. I blame the torque, hard to leave the line without at least a chirp and if you're the least bit hot in a corner one of the wheels is spinning. I'm thinking stickier tires. I'd be happy with at least 15k as it looks like that's the best I'm gonna get out of higher mileage rated rubber. Doable?
My car came with the OEM summer tires, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. They have a treadwear rating of only 140, but remember that number is not constant between different brands, and I think they are roughly equivalent to some of the 200TW tires out there. I only got 8800 miles out of them, but they were great, I really enjoyed them a lot. This was with no tracking or autocrossing, some aggressive street driving and some just cruising around. I ran stock pressures, checked that frequently, and rotated them once.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I must drive like an old lady who doesn't know which pedal makes the car go. I got almost 40k out of my OEM RE050s. Granted, I drove 130 miles each day round trip for work, 128 of which were cruise control set at 80 mph. Same drive, Falken 615k+ lasted me 18k miles. I also ran it aligned for straight highway driving and ran high tire pressures.

It's going to depend a lot on how and where you drive. Don't expect 15k miles out of 200TW tires unless you drive like me. lol

Mikey456

Well I am at 28,000 miles right now. I think I got almost 20k out of my Potenzas. When i switched to Falkens I am at the wear bars now so around 8k miles. I think it depends on how much canyon driving/autocross driving you do. Also if you have a tune or what not (spinning tires). I ordered some Dunlops Direzza z3. Another forum member said he got 20k out of them. We’ll see...but I won’t have them for another month and I’m just running a Cobb stg1 tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^In some cases (course layouts), the autocrossing which Rexracer is doing can eat/destroy 200 (or 100) tread wear gummies even quicker than open tracking will.

^^In some cases (course layouts), the autocrossing which Rexracer is doing can eat/destroy 200 (or 100) tread wear gummies even quicker than open tracking will.
For sure, having done multiple 24 enduro races (PIR/VIR/Ridge/ORP/etc), autocross is 100x faster wear.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Do you think it's because the tire is exposed to a lot more constant cornering, and cools off between runs, then heats back up etc? As opposed to a constant load?
MUCH higher steering angles overall (with the exception of 180s or decreasing radius turns on a road course), potentially much more abrasive and rougher surfaces, more throttle while one of the front tires are unloaded.

ronmcdon

I got around 2k miles and 5 track days out of my dunlop Z3, 200tw tires.

Would have gotten more out of them if I had more than -2.0 camber up front, but worried about clearance to suspension.

Also very bizarre my driver's side tires wore out more than passenger side. Already corner balanced too. Maybe im too heavyset and just need to lose weight. That or ran too many Clockwise runs at hpde events.

Curious to see what I get. I swapped the RE050s a little early and about to replace the P-Zero Nero's. I have 28k on the car and have/had several track days on both. Just ordered 660s for daily driving and have 888s for track use.

I don't anticipate more than 8-10k out of them.

I had some Maxxis VR-1 tires and with a handful of AXs last year thrown in I’d wear about 1/32 every 1k mi.

Spinning really wears things down. I had the same Bridgestone S-04 tires on a RWD and an AWD car and they lasted significantly longer on the AWD.

Do you think it's because the tire is exposed to a lot more constant cornering, and cools off between runs, then heats back up etc? As opposed to a constant load?
Just what M-Sport said, higher steering angles, more throttle while inside tire is un-loaded. Road Course/Endurance racing you are conserving everything, not overheating your tires/not wearing them out, so you drive at the limit without sliding them. Autocross every fraction of a second counts, so you are constantly pushing them over causing greater wear.

OP
G
Thread Starter #18
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I need to give them a try at least once to see how they affect the character of the car, but to not really expect less wheelspin or greater longevity compared to higher rated tires.

Erick_V

Just what M-Sport said, higher steering angles, more throttle while inside tire is un-loaded. Road Course/Endurance racing you are conserving everything, not overheating your tires/not wearing them out, so you drive at the limit without sliding them. Autocross every fraction of a second counts, so you are constantly pushing them over causing greater wear.
Agree 100%. I rotated my RT660's for the first time before my autocross this past weekend. You could still see the "Azenis" clear as day on the center of the treads on the rears before putting them on the fronts, they had around 1.5k miles up till then. After the event it is no longer there. You'll wear out tires on a road course exponentially faster if they get too hot and you continue to push them. But no LSD, spinning 2nd on E30 and large steering angle at Autox took out tread fast. Being in TSMF and trying to catch up to a fully bolted CTR on A058's that was 8/10th's of a second ahead of me didn't help. I left nothing on the table for 2nd place though, wish I realized earlier I was on my map that only revs to 6.6k vs 7k for that extra 5mph of wheel speed as I banged limiter for almost a second total per run. RT660's are great. I would 100% buy them for DD use again, they are quiet and ride great for a 200tw tire. Plus after a pull or two on the street you hook second even on E30. Shooting for like 8k out of them.

Just FYI for those running the RT660s, its a known issue where the thread face is delaminating from its core on some of these under heavy braking. This is a new pair of fronts I put on for Packwood. Dual drivers, 100 deg weather, fast course (with 3 heavy braking zones, 2 coming down from 3rd gear). Total of 14 runs...
Forgot to add, the 1st pair I got did not ever show this issue, with 100+ runs on them. Also the 3rd pair I put on to replace these for Tour, appear fine after 12 runs.

Attachments

Last edited: