Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What size wheels do you plan to get?

What size wheels do you plan to get?

• 16"

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • 17"

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • 18"

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters
OP
Harvick

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Is that a polished lip or just the reflection off the flash?

Everyone cares about diameter more than width. Sad...17x8 is a MUCH bigger difference in how the car drives than 18x7 could ever be, yet people only refer to the width as the defining metric.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Everyone cares about diameter more than width. Sad...17x8 is a MUCH bigger difference in how the car drives than 18x7 could ever be, yet people only refer to the width as the defining metric.
this is one of the reasons I went down to 15x8 for track tires less weight and lots of options being it is a common size tire in Miata circles ...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Is 17x8 cause rubbing issues though?
That's actually not enough information as it doesn't include offset or tire spec information. A 17x8 et20 with 205/40's will likely destroy your fenders. A 17x8 et35 with 205/40's will most likely be ok. A 17x8 et35 with fat 225/35's will probably destroy your fenders. And don't forget that suspension height will play a role in how much damage can occur in what types of driving, so some of the above situations would be totally fine if all you ever do is drive on relatively smooth and flat pavement.

17x8 wheels of the correct offset with correct tire sizing should be no problem. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of fitment information in the FiST community yet, so the 'limits' aren't clearly defined yet. It's also pertinent to mention that tires are not created equal due to the tire industry not being regulated very well. A 205/40 can have wildly different dimensions between manufacturers and even between different models of the same manufacturer.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
True. I always forget about all those factors. Still trying to run the whole wheel and tire stuff.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
True. I always forget about all those factors. Still trying to run the whole wheel and tire stuff.
You'll first want to decide on how you're wanting your car ultimately set up. Are you wanting it set up for performance or looks? Are you wanting to run a certain wheel or a certain tire? OEM suspension height, lowering springs, or slammed coilovers/airbags? Given the 4x108 bolt pattern our wheel choices are relatively limited, and depending on which direction you go your fitment numbers can and should end up differently.

Obviously cost is a factor, but only you can determine that. Depending on your wants/needs, getting your hubs re-drilled can open up a larger wheel selection. If that's not something you're interested in you can usually get custom wheel offsets for no or a small fee but you'll have to wait for them to be made. That's obviously dependent on the wheel and supplier, but I ordered custom offset Pro Race 1.2's from PCA for my Mk3 Focus and only had to wait the three months for them to be made and shipped.

So I guess that brings up the final issue of whether you are looking for instant gratification or a tailored setup. The longer you're willing to wait the more options you have, and vice-versa.

LT Berzerker

Same size here too, feel that is the best overall option. 18 is to low profile of a tire and 16 looks to meaty of a tire on the FiST
Agreed!

FWIW, For price, performance, quality and looks I'm going to go with TD pro race 1.2 17x8 +38... Like to have function and form :)

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Should be getting my slightly used OZ Ultraleggera 17 x 7 wheels on Monday. Then I'm ordering some prismatic powder for powder coating them up. I got 5 swatches of different colors of blue in the mail to me. I still need to order hub centric rings and lug bolts. I'll probably put the OEM tires on these until they wear out and I'll get some 215-40-17 Dunlops on there.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I too plan to stay with the 17".
I think that 18" looks out of place.
I cant go down as I now have 13" rotors and don't want fitment issues there.

Dave

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Got my wheels installed yesterday. Got the OEM tires back on the 17 x 7 powdercoated OZ Ultraleggeras with TPMS at Americas Tire. Very happy with Americas Tire. No scratches ding or dents. In and out in less than one hour. I added the ST center caps from China that I got from Amazon.

I'd like to go with a set of 15 x 8. But I'd settle for some 16s. Cheap route: Gunmetal Slipstreams or Konig Rewind, if I can find lug pattern/offset. Not cheap: Panasport UL or c8.

I went with 17x7.5 Sport Tuning T9s (from tire rack) wrapped with 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza D2s. They should still come out 1-2 pounds lighter than the stock wheel/tire combination and I'm hoping there will be more traction.

[/URL][/IMG]
Hey man, I am strongly considering going with the same tire and was also of a mind to go with a 17x7.5" rim when I replace the stockers. I noticed from your parts list that you're running the Cobb lowering springs which I'm also thinking of getting. Considering you're running the tire I want and the springs I want, as well as the wheel size I'm planning for, I was hoping you might be able to chime in and let me know if you've had any fitment issues, rubbing, etc. Also, what offset are the wheels? I tried to go to TireRack to check for myself but could only find that model in 16".

Thanks!