Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What Tire do you guys run

I have the GT version of the P Zero Nero which is the next generation. It isn't good IMO, which means the P Zero Nero is prob even worse.

Having owned Firehawk Indy 500 in the past, I can tell you with absolute certainty turn in is far worse on the Pirellis. They are also more vague and "wander" really bad on grooved surfaces.

If it were me, I'd go either Firehawk Indy 500 if you are on a budget in 205/40/17,

Or

If you want to spend a little more, mount the 215/40/17 Direzza ZIII. They will mount to the 17x7 wheels. They are 200TW tires for competition, but in my experience, they last longer than other 200TW tires out there (I also own RT660s and they are a superior tire for competition than the ZIII but do not last nearly as long). Turn in and grip is wwaaayyy higher than the Indys, with the downside that they wont last as long (Although I got about 23k out of a set of ZIIIs recently), and they are pretty noisy.
I'm going to sound like an old man here, but if you're driving your Indy 500's to the limit on the street to the point where you think you need more grip: You're being a jackass and endangering yourselves and others around you. I'd only recommend RE-71s, RT660s or other 200TW tires for those doing autocross or track days since they are more expensive, wear out much faster, and have less hydroplane resistance than the Indy's.

Indy 500 is probably the best street summer tire for the $.
Except the damned things are nearly $160 on tire rack now. It's nuts. I'm honestly looking past them now that they are close to the price of better options.

AGREED, on the PS AS/4s, as my guess is that they are probably not much worse (maybe even better [dunno]) in warm/dry handling and turn-in than the much loved Firehawk 500s, and MUCH better suited for really cold temps. [thumb]

IF they made them in a 215/45-16, or a 225/45-16 they would be on my daily driver, year 'round, Dekas right now. [wink]
Pilot Sport A/S all the way (for Daily, year-round + spirited use) They are truly a swiss army knife. The price is steep, but you go through two sets of summer tires before you burn through one set of those.... their lateral grip is crazy good for a/s.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are indeed available in a 205/40/17 size. However, I don't think they ever made it over to the US Market from a widespread release standpoint, and were primarily a European product. I think a few smaller tire resellers imported a handful of sets though.

Pilot Sport 5 is going to be fantastic. I'll get a set on my GR86 at some point (if it ever gets here)
I'm gonna have to look at mine tomorrow. I thought my pilot sport A/S 4s were OEM size and I got them from tire rack, so I don't think they are imported.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm gonna have to look at mine tomorrow. I thought my pilot sport A/S 4s were OEM size and I got them from tire rack, so I don't think they are imported.
The Pilot Sport 4S (or even the plain old 4) are totally different, pure SUMMER Max Performance tires than the A/S 4, which is an UHP all season.

The A/S 4 is most definitely readily available in our OEM size here in the states. [thumb]

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The Pilot Sport 4S (or even the plain old 4) are totally different pure SUMMER tires than the A/S 4, which is an UHP all season.
Ah I was typing 4s meaning multiple A/S 4 tires. I didn't realize that there is a different tire called 4S.
So just to clarify, the tires I have are the all season UHP pilot sport 4 tires.
Is the new pilot sport 5 a summer or All season tire?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Totally opinion, but from experience? ha.

I did exaggerate, that's fair... BUT, my point (Judgement removed, ish) is that many of us use our Fiestas differently (even though they were intended to be a handling car)— so everyone's experience and needs for a tire vary, and don't always apply to the other person. RT660 makes sense (IMO, for someone who autocross & tracks, or strictly beats the snot out of the canyon roads... but if you just put around town, peeling out at stoplights and on-ramps and you think you need 200tw, you need to adjust your throttle inputs, not your grip. But hey, I understand wanting to punch it in 2nd gear occasionally. My point is, tires like that really shine and are worth your money when you FULLY use them, lateral grip and all, not just straight ahead WOT.

My case:

I daily my fiesta (E30, stock turbo, Intercooler etc...) lead a lot of fast-paced canyon runs, and plan for some auto-x soon. I have two wheelsets, stocks for daily use occasional spirited solo runs, and I'm setting aside my 16' TDs for auto-x cross and possibly more intense canyon runs. I used Conti ECS over the last year and never felt the need for more grip during a fast-paced rally... most of the time, if I felt I hit the limits, it was driver error. If I pushed any harder I feel like that's no bueno for public roads...needs to go to the track... THEN I would bother with some RS4, RT600, Star Spec, RE71R whatever. I DID have RS4 on the car for a little while, confidence was AWESOME, but I felt like they were getting fully utilized unless I put them on the track or auto-x.

This time around, I'm looking for a longer-lasting tire, all-season, that can handle SOME hustle on the backroads with my stock wheels. (16s will take a back seat and get some 200tw when auto-x comes into play). I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - had them before and honestly... gripped better than some Hankook ventus 300tw I had... lasted me nearly 45k with heavy use... they're impressive. Another option might be the GMAX AS-05, although they don't seem to be as grippy as the Michelin, but steering sounds really good and they're $80 less!!! I could go with summers (Firehawk, bleh - or Advan Fleva) but it's getting low 30s here in the winter and early spring... not sure I wanna go for a good early morning drive when it's that cold on those.

Anyway... my thoughts.
Let’s look at this a different way most FiST driver do not just put around town. Your comment about that is comical. Majority of FiST owners drive it hard like you and I . I would say you are trying to champion the mystery only drive around town driver, for the sake of trying to make your point.

Bottom line is and I will say it again… People chose to use 200TW tires on their cars like them and want to speak up about how nice they are .

That is their choice and it does not make them wrong it’s just another view. You seem hell bent on telling them they are wrong for the sake of your own opinion.

Get over and stop attacking everyone who does not agree with you . I have watched you single out each persons post and attack.
Agree to disagree agree and move along.

Totally opinion, but from experience? ha.

I did exaggerate, that's fair... BUT, my point (Judgement removed, ish) is that many of us use our Fiestas differently (even though they were intended to be a handling car)— so everyone's experience and needs for a tire vary, and don't always apply to the other person. RT660 makes sense (IMO, for someone who autocross & tracks, or strictly beats the snot out of the canyon roads... but if you just put around town, peeling out at stoplights and on-ramps and you think you need 200tw, you need to adjust your throttle inputs, not your grip. But hey, I understand wanting to punch it in 2nd gear occasionally. My point is, tires like that really shine and are worth your money when you FULLY use them, lateral grip and all, not just straight ahead WOT.

My case:

I daily my fiesta (E30, stock turbo, Intercooler etc...) lead a lot of fast-paced canyon runs, and plan for some auto-x soon. I have two wheelsets, stocks for daily use occasional spirited solo runs, and I'm setting aside my 16' TDs for auto-x cross and possibly more intense canyon runs. I used Conti ECS over the last year and never felt the need for more grip during a fast-paced rally... most of the time, if I felt I hit the limits, it was driver error. If I pushed any harder I feel like that's no bueno for public roads...needs to go to the track... THEN I would bother with some RS4, RT600, Star Spec, RE71R whatever. I DID have RS4 on the car for a little while, confidence was AWESOME, but I felt like they were getting fully utilized unless I put them on the track or auto-x.

This time around, I'm looking for a longer-lasting tire, all-season, that can handle SOME hustle on the backroads with my stock wheels. (16s will take a back seat and get some 200tw when auto-x comes into play). I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - had them before and honestly... gripped better than some Hankook ventus 300tw I had... lasted me nearly 45k with heavy use... they're impressive. Another option might be the GMAX AS-05, although they don't seem to be as grippy as the Michelin, but steering sounds really good and they're $80 less!!! I could go with summers (Firehawk, bleh - or Advan Fleva) but it's getting low 30s here in the winter and early spring... not sure I wanna go for a good early morning drive when it's that cold on those.

Anyway... my thoughts.
For AS, I was pleasantly surprised with Riken Raptors. Out preform GMAX imo... I've gotten 40k out the set (driving the snot out of them). Munch through snow and dirt cheap. Probably my go to winter tire from now on.

That said, I can't wait to put some gumballs on her this spring.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Ah I was typing 4s meaning multiple A/S 4 tires. I didn't realize that there is a different tire called 4S.
So just to clarify, the tires I have are the all season UHP pilot sport 4 tires.
Is the new pilot sport 5 a summer or All season tire?
Michelin Pilot All Season 4 - UHP All Season (Pilot A/S 4 or AS4). You could get the All Season 3 version of this tire as OEM on the FiST at one point. Michelin makes this in 205/40/17 and is readily available in US.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - Summer tire. A few years old now.
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) - upgraded version of the pilot sport 4. Currently Michelin's main summer performance tire.
Michelin pilot sport 5 - next generation summer tire coming out next month. Will essentially replace the previous ones listed.

Let’s look at this a different way most FiST driver do not just put around town. Your comment about that is comical. Majority of FiST owners drive it hard like you and I . I would say you are trying to champion the mystery only drive around town driver, for the sake of trying to make your point.

Bottom line is and I will say it again… People chose to use 200TW tires on their cars like them and want to speak up about how nice they are .

That is their choice and it does not make them wrong it’s just another view. You seem hell bent on telling them they are wrong for the sake of your own opinion.

Get over and stop attacking everyone who does not agree with you . I have watched you single out each persons post and attack.
Agree to disagree agree and move along.
Looks like RT615K+ plus it is! ; )

Magnetic

I don't recall the turn in of the OEM tires that much tbh. I do know the turn in for the 660s is sharper than the direzzas definitely. Its why I had the 660s thrown on my daily beater civic hyrid w/ cvt transmission, which I had no intention of ever taking to an autoX. really increased the fun factor.

The direzzas do their job well in terms of keeping temps up, as I like to do back to back, 20-30min non-competitve hpde runs sometimes close to or above 100f. Never did overheat the Direzzas and I imagine the tire wear would last longer than the 660's.

For a daily driver in place that rarely gets below 40f and seldom rains, the 660s I would say definitely are the best for a daily driven tire given how fun they are. You dont have to drive 10/10s to enjoy them imo
I have to agree with this statement living in Arizona. They are great tires.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Michelin Pilot All Season 4 - UHP All Season (Pilot A/S 4 or AS4). You could get the All Season 3 version of this tire as OEM on the FiST at one point. Michelin makes this in 205/40/17 and is readily available in US.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (PS4S) - upgraded version of the pilot sport 4. Currently Michelin's main summer performance tire.
Michelin pilot sport 5 - next generation summer tire coming out next month. Will essentially replace the previous ones listed.
Thank you! It's all beginning to make sense now. 😂

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I always thought that the 4S was the updated replacement for the (justifiably) worshiped Pilot SUPER SPORT, (just to add a bit more confusion to Michelin's totally befuddling labeling system), and not an update/upgrade for the PS4?? [dunno]

I always thought that the 4S was the updated replacement for the (justifiably) worshiped Pilot SUPER SPORT, (just to add a bit more confusion to Michelin's totally befuddling labeling system), and not an update/upgrade for the PS4?? [dunno]
Falkien 615k+* perfect blend of both worlds* IMO
I’m constantly going back to those on Tire Rack. Only thing that bugs me is their wet traction. I live in Northern CA which has seen very little rain so maybe I shouldn’t worry much. But I’m looking at tires for my stock wheels th-t I would use at dailies.

I think PS4s is the successor to the super sports. 4 is like a step below for whatever reason, like more focus on rain er whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
I’m constantly going back to those on Tire Rack. Only thing that bugs me is their wet traction. I live in Northern CA which has seen very little rain so maybe I shouldn’t worry much. But I’m looking at tires for my stock wheels th-t I would use at dailies.

I think PS4s is the successor to the super sports. 4 is like a step below for whatever reason, like more focus on rain er whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you are right.

I think it's: PS4 > pilot super sport > PS4S > PS5

Never understood why PSS came in the middle of the PS4 line

eleazar6

How many miles are you guys getting out of your RT660s? Just ordered some 16x8 Dekagrams with RT615K+ tires, but Discount Tire gave me a 4 month back order, so they offered the 660s for the same price. I was set on the 615Ks, but if the 660s are close enough, i'll sacrifice life for more grip. I could also just cancel the tire order and get 615s from tirerack...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
How many miles are you guys getting out of your RT660s? Just ordered some 16x8 Dekagrams with RT615K+ tires, but Discount Tire gave me a 4 month back order, so they offered the 660s for the same price. I was set on the 615Ks, but if the 660s are close enough, i'll sacrifice life for more grip. I could also just cancel the tire order and get 615s from tirerack...
buy them 660’s at 615 prices is a steal

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Discount owns Tire Rack. To what degree they share inventory I’m not sure, but I’d assume discount would pull 615s from Tire Rack’s warehouse if they had them in stock. They had to order my 660s direct from Falken. I’ve yet to mount them but I loved my 615s and expect to like the 660s as much or more.

Erick_V

I have 13k on my RT660’s. I have 2 or 3 autocross events and 1 track day on them. I checked last weekend and I’m at 4/32, so they’ll be replaced around the end of this year if not just after the year starts. Awesome tire for the money, I’m either going to get those again or get Conti DW for a little more life. Just not driving a lot like I used to and they’ll do just fine for an HPDE event or two. If you go 215/45/16 keep in mind they are BEEFY compared to other tires in that size, I’m also on 16x8 et40 Dekas FWIW 53AB6B7A-ADBB-4F29-AE8D-99AE4B2C8F2E.jpeg BDE9DA81-25CD-4341-A6CB-80EB71CF67A4.jpeg

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have 13k on my RT660’s. I have 2 or 3 autocross events and 1 track day on them. I checked last weekend and I’m at 4/32, so they’ll be replaced around the end of this year if not just after the year starts. Awesome tire for the money, I’m either going to get those again or get Conti DW for a little more life. Just not driving a lot like I used to and they’ll do just fine for an HPDE event or two. If you go 215/45/16 keep in mind they are BEEFY compared to other tires in that size, I’m also on 16x8 et40 Dekas FWIW View attachment 48949 View attachment 48950
Interesting as mine will have 3mm spacers underneath the Dekagrams for my big brakes thank god for negative camber.

Erick_V

Interesting as mine will have 3mm spacers underneath the Dekagrams for my big brakes thank god for negative camber.
I just put my 5mm spacers on because I’m only street driving for a while. It rubs just a tiny bit on the fender liners on big compressions even on full soft on my BC’s. Looks great though, I believe I’m around 2 degrees in the front