Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What up from the D - Vibration in steering wheel on recent ST buy

Hey guys,

Picked up my Envy Green ST not too long ago... used, 54K on the clock. At highway speeds the steering wheel vibrates, feels like if I was a passenger I would notice it too.
  • Shop I bought it from said they inspected the car, balanced the tires and did rear brakes and everything else was mechanically good.
  • Ford dealer didn't see any suspension damage when I had it aligned after I bought it (even said they wouldn't align it if there were issues)
  • Firestone said the car needs new rotors in the front (but the brakes themselves feel good and the dealer said front pads are at 50%)

What is everyone's take on what could be the issue? Ordered new pads and installing them next week to see if it helps.

NG
IMG_6585.JPG

green_henry

1000 Post Club
First, welcome aboard!

If the rotors are warped, they could cause vibrations. Just curious: do you feel the same vibration if you turn the ESC off?

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
Thanks!

you know, don't think it does but can't remember if I have had it off on the highway. Curious on where you are going with that question?

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thanks!

you know, don't think it does but can't remember if I have had it off on the highway. Curious on where you are going with that question?
To be honest, it was just a random thought that popped into my head .. hence the "just curious" qualifier. In a straight line, it shouldn't make any difference at all, but if you were in a turn... maybe???

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I think the Firestone store told you the answer. But the other thing to check for is wheel balance. Just because the shop said they balanced them doesn't mean they are balanced.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the support and input. I do believe Firestone, but what has me second guessing it is I would think the vibration would increase under braking even under low speeds but it feels like it only kicks in above 60+ MPH.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You could try rotating the tires as well and see if the vibration moves.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the support and input. I do believe Firestone, but what has me second guessing it is I would think the vibration would increase under braking even under low speeds but it feels like it only kicks in above 60+ MPH.
On my Acura, I got vibrations at high speed due to bent axles but I felt it through the accelerator pedal rather than through the steering wheel. I hope that's not your problem because it was expensive to fix.

OP
G
Thread Starter #10
To be honest, it was just a random thought that popped into my head .. hence the "just curious" qualifier. In a straight line, it shouldn't make any difference at all, but if you were in a turn... maybe???
funny tho around town I do turn it off from time. Kinda like the wheel slip feeling ;)

Around corners I suppose the torque vectoring system would cause vibration if the brakes are grabbing. Haven't really noticed that either tho.

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
On my Acura, I got vibrations at high speed due to bent axles but I felt it through the accelerator pedal rather than through the steering wheel. I hope that's not your problem because it was expensive to fix.
Ohhh I know all about that.. also owned a Acura TL and had to replace that. Did get a Ford warranty so maybe it'll help out. My car I traded the ST in for below View attachment DSC_0233.JPG View attachment DSC_0038.JPG View attachment DSC_0130.JPG View attachment DSC_0176.JPG

Attachments

Sounds like tires need to be balanced. I recently got new tires and guys at discount told me one of my stock wheels was slightly bent, but they were able to balance it anyway. The next day the steering wheel started vibrating and shaking around 60-65. Took it back and they rotated the tires. It seemed to help, and will have to do, until I can afford my hyper black Rota titans.

OP
G
Thread Starter #14
Sounds like tires need to be balanced. I recently got new tires and guys at discount told me one of my stock wheels was slightly bent, but they were able to balance it anyway. The next day the steering wheel started vibrating and shaking around 60-65. Took it back and they rotated the tires. It seemed to help, and will have to do, until I can afford my hyper black Rota titans.
Honestly that's what I'm leaning towards too, glad yours was a similar speed! Go Envy Green btw!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Rotors could just be out of round. They would need to checked with a micrometer for run out and how much rotor is left before they are turned so your not turning rotors that are at or near discard Does the Vibration go away after 60MPH? Also as k them if they Static balance or Road force balance?

Erick_V

Suspecting a balance issue. On my previous 17x8 (Rota Titan et40) setup the car felt normal cruising through town at low speeds but as soon as I got above 70 (happens often in Texas) the steering wheel would shake like crazy to the point the passengers would feel it. I think shops usually balance wheels to about 45-55? Could potentially be the issue. Firestone and other similar shops have been known to give bad advice so I would take them with a grain of salt. I have curbed my stock wheels, repaired them and got them powdercoated and my steering wheel doesn't shake at all, even when I tested them in Mexico at 100+. I also autocross and run my car pretty hard on backroads so I wouldn't be surprised if the wheel weights fell off at some point on my Rota's.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Could be the wheels and tires were rotated but the scale wasnt cleaned off the hub and rotor surface.

Might be a lost wheel weight. If its over 40k miles get new pads and rotors all around then re grease the slide pins.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome. Like others have number of things it could be.
1. did whoever balance spin it up to 120? Or just 60.

2. warped rotors can cause vibration but usually you would also feel that in your brake pedal and it would get worse the harder you braked.

A mechanic that does not torque your lug nuts in a star pattern or over tightens then with a impact gun can warp your rotors as well.

Though what you described in my opinion is a balance issue. Which can be caused by crap tires as well. I would definitely go towards reblancing the wheels first off. Wheels can and do fall off ( the stickum kind which are usually used on our wheels.)

Last edited: