Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

When and Where to Change Timing Belt + Cost

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm coming up on 106,000 and 9yrs. Might get it down next year when I return from the UK. That should be around 110,000. The dealership stated that they can't give me a quote until they have the car on the lift and take off the parts and see what needs replacing! That doesn't make sense.
No, it doesn't.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Maybe because the tech who will be doing it is on vacation and would be able to give me a better idea than a service advisor. I'll wait and see but as you can see there's no urgency.

Maybe because the tech who will be doing it is on vacation and would be able to give me a better idea than a service advisor. I'll wait and see but as you can see there's no urgency.
Hello, did you ever get this done ? I see you are in LA, wondering where you ended up getting it all done ? Did you end up doing other items while they had things apart ? Thanks.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Going to get it done soon at Star Ford in Glendale. Trying to get all the parts together. Ordered new water pump and gasket but unsure of the timing belt. Will check with them today and see if there's a cheaper alternative anywhere. If not, dealer will have to do.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got the correct part from the dealer then checked the internet. Found identical item, Ford item for $27 cheaper which includes shipping. Bought part being returned tomorrow for a refund.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Going to get it done soon at Star Ford in Glendale. Trying to get all the parts together. Ordered new water pump and gasket but unsure of the timing belt. Will check with them today and see if there's a cheaper alternative anywhere. If not, dealer will have to do.
Let us know what it costs you to have the timing belt replaced at the dealer if you don't mind, it would be helpful to have this information.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will. I'm getting it done early so I won't ever have to worry about it again. I'm 76 in June and the car has done 107,000 in 9yrs, so I only have to deal with minor issues if they appear.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
These are my figures:- Timing belt - $57.90, Belt tensioner - $86.33, Water pump and gasket - $88.00, Serpentine belt -$27.50. These are the prices I paid shopping around. During the replacement I also had the overflow coolant bottle (leaking) replaced along with the hose which was brittle at $72.30 plus the radiator cap $27.27. Thermostat assembly $117.95. Now the expensive part, labour came to $2,200 and I used my Ford Pass points which brought the total charged to $2,376.50. Now the car will outlive me! So now I have enough points to get quite a few oil and filter changes!

Last edited:

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
One thing I would like to add is that I've found that the engine is much quieter than before. At traffic lights, at idle, I can barely hear it and no vibration. Very impressed. Acceleration is still there and I'm one happy camper!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Im jealous of your 2016 instructions: I only have a 2014 copy.. Procedure is mostly the same, though this is "new"

25. NOTE: The timing mark of each VCT unit must be at the 12 o'clock position.

and they added ft/lb alongside the Nm for torques.

And picture E214804 (reassembly Step 10) is vastly different than the old and errant E147304
1709133180357.png

and a few other minor changes.. Makes me wonder how much else in my "older" copy is different or outright wrong.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
Procedures from manual attached.
Need additional steps not included, let me know.
So these are the correct procedures for doing the timing belt on a '16? I have a '16 and I'm going to have it done this summer, so am obviously interested.
The post after yours from @kivnul notes some changes from his '14 manual, and refers to one big error in the earlier one so I want to be sure I'm using the right information.
Thanks for posting this.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Procedures from manual attached.
Need additional steps not included, let me know.
Remaining content attached.

"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Starter Motor.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Headlamp Assembly.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Fuel System Hose Coupler Release.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Coolant Reservoir.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Battery.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Alternator.pdf"
"2016 Ford Fiesta ST - Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe.pdf"

Attachments

jtl

Hey folks. I'm changing the timing belt and water pump on my '15 (about 130k miles) while I have it torn apart for some other stuff. Can anybody confirm what parts I should replace in the process? Here's my list so far:

Water Pump - Product ID: 7S7Z-8501-C
Gasket - Product ID: BE8Z-8507-A (water pump gasket)
Timing Belt - Product ID: BE8Z-6268-C
Tensioner - Product ID: BM5Z-6K254-A (timing belt tensioner)
Serpentine Belt - Product ID: BM5Z-8620-B
Crankshaft Pulley Bolt - Product ID: BE8Z-6A340-A

I'm wondering if I should proactively replace these as well:

Tensioner - Product ID: DS7Z-6A228-B (serpentine belt tensioner)
Serpentine Idler Pulley - Product ID: BM5Z-8678-A

Is the intake manifold gasket reusable or should it be replaced whenever the intake manifold is reinstalled?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The manual should identify items that require/recommend replacement; either via Maintenance Schedule (like the timing belt) or in the course of service. For example...
1710807716487.png

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey folks. I'm changing the timing belt and water pump on my '15 (about 130k miles) while I have it torn apart for some other stuff. Can anybody confirm what parts I should replace in the process? Here's my list so far:

Water Pump - Product ID: 7S7Z-8501-C
Gasket - Product ID: BE8Z-8507-A (water pump gasket)
Timing Belt - Product ID: BE8Z-6268-C
Tensioner - Product ID: BM5Z-6K254-A (timing belt tensioner)
Serpentine Belt - Product ID: BM5Z-8620-B
Crankshaft Pulley Bolt - Product ID: BE8Z-6A340-A

I'm wondering if I should proactively replace these as well:

Tensioner - Product ID: DS7Z-6A228-B (serpentine belt tensioner)
Serpentine Idler Pulley - Product ID: BM5Z-8678-A

Is the intake manifold gasket reusable or should it be replaced whenever the intake manifold is reinstalled?
Your list is good. I also had the thermostat and housing changed while everything was apart. I had my dealership do it so I'm covered under warranty for their work. No complaints so far. The mechanic has over 28yrs of engine building under his belt!

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #38
Your list is good. I also had the thermostat and housing changed while everything was apart. I had my dealership do it so I'm covered under warranty for their work. No complaints so far. The mechanic has over 28yrs of engine building under his belt!
Is the thermostat accessible while doing a timing belt?
Because I understand that it's very difficult and time consuming to get to, so when I have my timing belt done next summer I may consider having my thermostat changed also, thanks.

Is the thermostat accessible while doing a timing belt?
Because I understand that it's very difficult and time consuming to get to, so when I have my timing belt done next summer I may consider having my thermostat changed also, thanks.
It's below the alternator, which has to come off for the timing belt job as well. So pretty much yes, as long as you don't mind dealing with the coolant mess on top of everything else.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It was recommended for my 9yr old car, so I went for it rather that have them tear it apart later on at more expense. Better safe than sorry. I had it all done at 107,400 miles rather than wait until later. Peace of mind.