Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh hybrid turbo or TT S280 turbo?

We used to play these games with DSM/EVO crowd. Fastest/Most power stock appearing turbos was a coveted title in that group.
Can confirm. For DSMs, the EVO 3 16g turbo was king because it made 400hp+ and looked completely stock. I had one on my fwd GS-T pushing around 350hp at 21psi on pump gas and it was bonkers.

I do have a rare concern about the s280 though, would that pass a smog check visual? Back when I used to smog cars in 2010-ish, I would fail that thing no question assuming it didn't have a E.O. # (I was generally more thorough than most techs to be honest), but things are different these days so I'm not so sure it would fail assuming you kept everything else as stock looking as possible. Has anyone passed a California smog check in the past few years with the s280 installed? If not, then my choice is clear.

Can confirm. For DSMs, the EVO 3 16g turbo was king because it made 400hp+ and looked completely stock. I had one on my fwd GS-T pushing around 350hp at 21psi on pump gas and it was bonkers.

I do have a rare concern about the s280 though, would that pass a smog check visual? Back when I used to smog cars in 2010-ish, I would fail that thing no question assuming it didn't have a E.O. # (I was generally more thorough than most techs to be honest), but things are different these days so I'm not so sure it would fail assuming you kept everything else as stock looking as possible. Has anyone passed a California smog check in the past few years with the s280 installed? If not, then my choice is clear.

I feel like anything I say would be speculation, but I feel like if you had a semi observant tech they would notice the silicone coupler used on the inlet side/recirculation valve setup and it would warrant them looking closer at the turbo. In that case I think you would be sol. However, I always hear stories of you just need to "go to the right shop."

I really think this is individual tech dependent. You roll in with a mostly stock looking, and stock sounding car, you probably wont raise any eyebrows, and the they may not even look and investigate further. But some techs may take a good look at every car.

The guy I've been going to doesn't have a lift or anything but he does break out his little mirror on the end of a stick to get a look see under cars.

I really think this is individual tech dependent. You roll in with a mostly stock looking, and stock sounding car, you probably wont raise any eyebrows, and the they may not even look and investigate further. But some techs may take a good look at every car.

The guy I've been going to doesn't have a lift or anything but he does break out his little mirror on the end of a stick to get a look see under cars.
Yea, and I’m realizing that if it does fail for tampered turbo/exhaust, then it will get flagged and must be put back to stock and smogged at a 5 star station or whatever. Looks like whoosh hybrid is the one for me. Kind of a bummer but not really. :cool:(y)

Yea, and I’m realizing that if it does fail for tampered turbo/exhaust, then it will get flagged and must be put back to stock and smogged at a 5 star station or whatever. Looks like whoosh hybrid is the one for me. Kind of a bummer but not really. :cool:(y)
I believe that is correct, but not certain its that harsh that quick.

I was on board with that thinking forever and figured I’d eventually get the whoosh since it’s on the DL, but man the S280 is just such a great seeming turbo that I’m now leaning toward rolling the dice when I get a turbo

Dpro

6000 Post Club

I was on board with that thinking forever and figured I’d eventually get the whoosh since it’s on the DL, but man the S280 is just such a great seeming turbo that I’m now leaning toward rolling the dice when I get a turbo
I have 3.7 more years. Unless I get stopped and ref’d . Fact is I say I will never sell this car but 3.7 years from now I will have owned it for eight years that’s a long time. I am already eyeballing a RWD car to have alongside because ya I miss RWD.

As far as the tampered/modified failure, it’s definitely that harsh (at least in CA) because the logic is the vehicle owner knowingly changed an emission related device, unlike a standard mechanical/emission failure that is usually not the owners fault.
But yea, the turbo decision is a hard one. Do you want to keep the low-end torque like the car was meant to have OR do you want to hang with big hp cars on the highway and have decent 1/4 mile times? Making that decision seems pretty necessary but I can’t seem to lean one way or the other. I want to accept that this FiST won’t be as fast as my awd dsm in the 1/4 mile but it’s tougher than I thought. This FiST is so much more capable than I imagined.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
As far as the tampered/modified failure, it’s definitely that harsh (at least in CA) because the logic is the vehicle owner knowingly changed an emission related device, unlike a standard mechanical/emission failure that is usually not the owners fault.
But yea, the turbo decision is a hard one. Do you want to keep the low-end torque like the car was meant to have OR do you want to hang with big hp cars on the highway and have decent 1/4 mile times? Making that decision seems pretty necessary but I can’t seem to lean one way or the other. I want to accept that this FiST won’t be as fast as my awd dsm in the 1/4 mile but it’s tougher than I thought. This FiST is so much more capable than I imagined.
here’s the deal and I think your confused here. Hybrids have more low end TQ than stock, like stupid levels of spin your wheels TQ. I drove a hybrid before buying my S280. It was freaking crazy , silly fun ? Ya … get old fast hard to drive in town? Yup IMO. The beauty of the s280 is down low it drives like a stocker. Yet ya it hangs with high HP cars and fucks with motorcycles ya ask me how I know.:ROFLMAO:
It will run a very decent quarter mile if thats your thing . I did not buy my car or turbo for drag racing though.
So ya don’t go hybrid if you want the car to have stock levels of TQ down low you will be disappointed in annoying way.:ROFLMAO:

I can assure you that you will still have great 1/4 mile times with the whoosh hybrid and the s280 still has TONS of low end power. With both of these you can have your cake and eat it too.

I'm on a whoosh hybrid and love it and with the current conservative tune its just enough to have some fun but keep me out of trouble...except for that one time I got pulled over lol. I plan on getting an AP eventually to run a few more aggresive tunes but for now the smiles and miles keep coming.

I'm on a whoosh hybrid and love it and with the current conservative tune its just enough to have some fun but keep me out of trouble...except for that one time I got pulled over lol. I plan on getting an AP eventually to run a few more aggresive tunes but for now the smiles and miles keep coming.
How do you have it tuned without an AP?

How do you have it tuned without an AP?
The techs at my ford dealership used their own personal AP for me to upload to the ECU. They own some sweet Focus ST and RS. I love having a dealership that hires gear heads lol. Even the sales staff are car enthusiasts so they do what they can for their gearhead clients. Should see some of the cars they all own and built. They did recommend I get my own AP since if the battery dies I'm pretty much dead in the water as their tune will be erased among other issues. The cars previous tune from the old owner was aggressive and bypassed the ECU emmision checks which was a headache at first but thanks to the awesomeness of those guys they got the car properly tuned and emissions legal.

The techs at my ford dealership used their own personal AP for me to upload to the ECU. They own some sweet Focus ST and RS. I love having a dealership that hires gear heads lol. Even the sales staff are car enthusiasts so they do what they can for their gearhead clients. Should see some of the cars they all own and built. They did recommend I get my own AP since if the battery dies I'm pretty much dead in the water as their tune will be erased among other issues. The cars previous tune from the old owner was aggressive and bypassed the ECU emmision checks which was a headache at first but thanks to the awesomeness of those guys they got the car properly tuned and emissions legal.
That sounds like a sketchy setup. i'd recommend getting an AP and a custom tune on it ASAP. Typically you can only tune one car with an AP unless they unmarried it and somehow got a hold of a Fiesta tune for that turbo. Something isn't adding up here.

That sounds like a sketchy setup. i'd recommend getting an AP and a custom tune on it ASAP. Typically you can only tune one car with an AP unless they unmarried it and somehow got a hold of a Fiesta tune for that turbo. Something isn't adding up here.
He had unpaired from his Focus ST and used they tuned on the dyno. They do a ton of custom work on top the usual dealership stuff. I lucked out and understand why people fly in from all over the country to buy from them and even ship cars to get work done.

He had unpaired from his Focus ST and used they tuned on the dyno. They do a ton of custom work on top the usual dealership stuff. I lucked out and understand why people fly in from all over the country to buy from them and even ship cars to get work done.
Just some background, the people here lean conservative on taking unknown risks with big/hybrid turbo tunes because there is BIG downside if things go sideways. I think I can summarize that everyone who cares about their car here would not recommend you go another day without getting an Accessport to at least back up the tune you have currently.

I think there are still a couple on the For Sale thread here for under $450. You're running a real risk which is why people here are wondering why any reputable tech would let you leave their shop without a way to back up their work. It doesn't take much for your battery to die especially with cold weather coming if you live north of Tennessee.

I've been on the tune since last October 2021 bought the car in September 2021 so far so good and on my own scan tool AFR are within safe limits for the whoosh hybrid setup. Tuned for 93. I do plan on getting an AP to back it up as my own laptops software doesnt recognize the Ford ECU but does wonders on older cars to back up settings.