Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh hybrid turbo or TT S280 turbo?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Bumping this old thread, because I'm in a similar situation.
I'm basically at stage 3 bolt-ons (minus DP).

I daily drive my FiST and just looking to have some more fun. Something that's closer to stock turbo spool is a priority. I not too worried about the power numbers, I just want a lot more power and fun compared to stage 3. Unfortunately, I only have 93 fuel available, so I'll just work with what I have.

I know most people in here recommend the S280, but on the Whoosh site, the Whoosh Hybrid (non trac-spec) looks quite a bit cheaper, at least before you put in the addons.

I'm not really sure what all those addons do and what's required or not. I'm not sure what's the difference between a 11psi or 14psi wastegate. Or the bypass valve and which one I need. My goal is somewhere around 270-280whp on 93. I hope that's realistic. What do I need exactly to get there from stage 3? I don't have a huge budget, but I'm not trying to build a competitive machine either, so I'm trying to find a good balance. I am pretty certain I won't be pushing any more power after this so the potential of future upgrading even more power from the S280 is a non-factor.

The S280 costs a couple hundred dollars more, but does it already include all the parts for an easy installation? Otherwise, after the addons on the whoosh hybrid, the price difference between the two seem to be negligible.
Here is the deal since that post I made above yours I have installed a S280. I am pushing 280HP on pump gas. You should be able to do that on 93. Now the thing you want to ask yourself is do you want to drive the car around town at low rpm and have it act stock and then when you spin it up it goes like a rocket? Or do you want silly down low TQ that has your tires spinning in the first two gears at the tap of the gas. In my opinion the S280 has a broader flatter TQ band vs the crazy bump in the low of the Hybrid. Both are fun and its true the S280 does spool really fast but I feel its more manageable for daily driving.
YMMV

Bumping this old thread, because I'm in a similar situation.
I'm basically at stage 3 bolt-ons (minus DP).

I daily drive my FiST and just looking to have some more fun. Something that's closer to stock turbo spool is a priority. I not too worried about the power numbers, I just want a lot more power and fun compared to stage 3. Unfortunately, I only have 93 fuel available, so I'll just work with what I have.

I know most people in here recommend the S280, but on the Whoosh site, the Whoosh Hybrid (non trac-spec) looks quite a bit cheaper, at least before you put in the addons.

I'm not really sure what all those addons do and what's required or not. I'm not sure what's the difference between a 11psi or 14psi wastegate. Or the bypass valve and which one I need. My goal is somewhere around 270-280whp on 93. I hope that's realistic. What do I need exactly to get there from stage 3? I don't have a huge budget, but I'm not trying to build a competitive machine either, so I'm trying to find a good balance. I am pretty certain I won't be pushing any more power after this so the potential of future upgrading even more power from the S280 is a non-factor.

The S280 costs a couple hundred dollars more, but does it already include all the parts for an easy installation? Otherwise, after the addons on the whoosh hybrid, the price difference between the two seem to be negligible.
so i have just installed the s280 kit, and it comes with everything needed to do the install, if you select the WG option on whoosh. there were two main reasons i chose the s280 over the hybrid.

1: it produces less heat and therefore is easier on the engine than a hybrid from what i have read.

2: it is a flatter torque/horsepower curve, with power steadily rising all the way up the rev band. I loved my stock turbo on e40, but the thing was a nightmare trying to get to hook in 1-3, weather dependent. The s280 moves the power up the rev range, so less wheel spin in 1-3 gears.
And as a added bonus, im getting about 5mpg better than i was on a stock turbo on e40. Its not in boost all the time, so daily driving is a pleasure. Best of both worlds imo.

Get a ride in each. I always vote s280 but with your power goals I don’t think you’d regret the hybrid. Either way you’re getting an incredible package. S280 will make more power on 93 and you can put it all down. The hybrid would be the more fun low speed commuter car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

I've been trying to cram as much research as I could this weekend. Does anyone in here actually favour the Whoosh turbo? lol.
I think ultimately, I'm leaning more toward the Whoosh turbo. I don't forsee myself chasing bigger numbers than what the whoosh is capable of.

Most of my driving is in the city and bridges, and less long stretched highways, so I prioritize the quick spool. I'm currently tuned with Stratified (from what I heard, it's donkey kick down low compared to other tuners) which is what I actually enjoy. But I may consider switching to Dizzy cause his prices are a lot better. But I'm just not sure what driving experience I'll get in comparison.

I won't be able to get a ride... just trying to find another FiST owner in my area is rare enough, let alone trying to get a ride from someone.
The only person I knew locally had a x37 and gave me a ride once and it was nuts! But too bad he sold the car a few years ago.

Thanks for the responses. Any other input will be appreciated. I've been on the fence for upgrading the turbo for 3 years... lol. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

I've been trying to cram as much research as I could this weekend. Does anyone in here actually favour the Whoosh turbo? lol.
I think ultimately, I'm leaning more toward the Whoosh turbo. I don't forsee myself chasing bigger numbers than what the whoosh is capable of.

Most of my driving is in the city and bridges, and less long stretched highways, so I prioritize the quick spool. I'm currently tuned with Stratified (from what I heard, it's donkey kick down low compared to other tuners) which is what I actually enjoy. But I may consider switching to Dizzy cause his prices are a lot better. But I'm just not sure what driving experience I'll get in comparison.

I won't be able to get a ride... just trying to find another FiST owner in my area is rare enough, let alone trying to get a ride from someone.
The only person I knew locally had a x37 and gave me a ride once and it was nuts! But too bad he sold the car a few years ago.

Thanks for the responses. Any other input will be appreciated. I've been on the fence for upgrading the turbo for 3 years... lol. Just couldn't pull the trigger.
I think making the decision to put a whoosh hybrid on your car would be a great decision. its a solid turbo with proven performance, and plus you can send in your turbo for the core refund and maybe consider spending the $150 towards other parts to help maximize the turbo, or save it, YMYM. I was going to get the track-spec setup but decided towards the s280. I too waited aboot three years to upgrade my setup, and I am glad I finally pulled the trigger as you would put it.

are you living in Nunavut with a fiesta st? lol that seems wild lol

AzNightmare

are you living in Nunavut with a fiesta st? lol that seems wild lol
lol, just trolling. They probably don't have any bridges or highways there.
I'm in BC. There's a decent FoST/RS group here, but FiST's are generally a unicorn.

btw, anyone know the diff between a 11psi vs 14psi wg?
Or GFB divert valve vs TurboSmart Plumb Back BOV?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The difference between the two is the 11psi starts to allow boost by wastegate flap sooner Vs the 14psi hold it shut longer via a stiffer spring* Someone else can answer about the GFb dealy/ plumback BOV*

Jason @Dizzy has a good read.....

Wastegate/Actuator Discussion – Dizzy Tuning

lol, just trolling. They probably don't have any bridges or highways there.
I'm in BC. There's a decent FoST/RS group here, but FiST's are generally a unicorn.

btw, anyone know the diff between a 11psi vs 14psi wg?
Or GFB divert valve vs TurboSmart Plumb Back BOV?
like the troll under the Port Mann bridge lol.

are you gonna tune for 91 or chev 94? 11lb spring actuation versus a 14lb spring actuation, i havent seen many folks choose the 11psi WG as a rule of thumb is the WG should be half the boost you desire. plumb back is more of a "recirculating" setup, but its a legit BOV setup. the gfb DV is basically an upgraded stock diverter valve, so you wont be venting to atmosphere unless you had a spacer installed as well.

AzNightmare

like the troll under the Port Mann bridge lol.

are you gonna tune for 91 or chev 94? 11lb spring actuation versus a 14lb spring actuation, i havent seen many folks choose the 11psi WG as a rule of thumb is the WG should be half the boost you desire. plumb back is more of a "recirculating" setup, but its a legit BOV setup. the gfb DV is basically an upgraded stock diverter valve, so you wont be venting to atmosphere unless you had a spacer installed as well.

I've always used Chev 94 since day one so I guess Chev 94? I know the fuel in BC isn't that great though... I usually fill up full tank of 92 whenever I cross the border.

In laymans term, what does all that really mean? Between the 11 vs 14 spring. Which one should I be getting based on my goals? And same with the diverter. Does one offer more power over the other? I don't know what boost psi should be my target goal.

I've always used Chev 94 since day one so I guess Chev 94? I know the fuel in BC isn't that great though... I usually fill up full tank of 92 whenever I cross the border.

In laymans term, what does all that really mean? Between the 11 vs 14 spring. Which one should I be getting based on my goals? And same with the diverter. Does one offer more power over the other? I don't know what boost psi should be my target goal.
yeah for sure, it might not be a bad idea to consider tuning for 91e10, i know when i had my subaru b4 rsk it ran heaps better on gas with 10%ethanol, as opposed to the chevron without any E, even though it was a lesser anti knock index rating 94 vs 91.

i would stick with the 14psi WG. "If the spring is too soft, even with no pressure signal to the actuator, the valve will open if there is enough exhaust back pressure, which will limit the amount of boost produced by the turbocharger" as your psi target will probably be around 25-27 psi. the diverter valve is how the stock boost venting system is operated on our cars, nothing really to do with power output. so when it needs to expel excess pressure from the turbo, it recirculates it back into the intake system IIRC. by sticking with the stock diverter valve system, you will not be getting any of the classic "psssshhhhhh noises when you let off throttle after making a pull. you may get some, but its very minimal in relation to a classic vent to atmosphere blow off valve like the TS dual port vr2 EM. the TS plumbback you mentioned will be a better way of managing those excess pressure changes, but again its a plumbback so it will not be venting to atmosphere. turbosmart sells a dual port which will give you the classic "psshhhh" noises that so many are accustomed to with turbo sounds. the new TS em VR2 bov's are the top of the line from TS as they bolt up directly to the stock/whoosh/s280 turbos like the stock DV does. there are also other options as well for vent to atmosphere blow off valves, which are usually chosen for a sound-preference like the HKS bov.

AzNightmare

yeah for sure, it might not be a bad idea to consider tuning for 91e10, i know when i had my subaru b4 rsk it ran heaps better on gas with 10%ethanol, as opposed to the chevron without any E, even though it was a lesser anti knock index rating 94 vs 91.

i would stick with the 14psi WG. "If the spring is too soft, even with no pressure signal to the actuator, the valve will open if there is enough exhaust back pressure, which will limit the amount of boost produced by the turbocharger" as your psi target will probably be around 25-27 psi. the diverter valve is how the stock boost venting system is operated on our cars, nothing really to do with power output. so when it needs to expel excess pressure from the turbo, it recirculates it back into the intake system IIRC. by sticking with the stock diverter valve system, you will not be getting any of the classic "psssshhhhhh noises when you let off throttle after making a pull. you may get some, but its very minimal in relation to a classic vent to atmosphere blow off valve like the TS dual port vr2 EM. the TS plumbback you mentioned will be a better way of managing those excess pressure changes, but again its a plumbback so it will not be venting to atmosphere. turbosmart sells a dual port which will give you the classic "psshhhh" noises that so many are accustomed to with turbo sounds. the new TS em VR2 bov's are the top of the line from TS as they bolt up directly to the stock/whoosh/s280 turbos like the stock DV does. there are also other options as well for vent to atmosphere blow off valves, which are usually chosen for a sound-preference like the HKS bov.

I just had a read on Jason's article. Maybe I misunderstood, but near the end, is he saying to stick with the oem actuator? Is that the same as the wastegate?

Also, I don't really care about the classic "psssssh" sound. I'm just looking at the options that are on Whoosh's site. If the BOV sounds OEM, that's fine. My crackles make too much noise already, lol.

I just had a read on Jason's article. Maybe I misunderstood, but near the end, is he saying to stick with the oem actuator? Is that the same as the wastegate?

Also, I don't really care about the classic "psssssh" sound. I'm just looking at the options that are on Whoosh's site. If the BOV sounds OEM, that's fine. My crackles make too much noise already, lol.
wastegate/actuator are the same thing. and no, he is not saying that- your new hybrid would not work with the OE wg/actuator, sounds like a TS plumb back shortie BOV would work well with your preference

Dpro

6000 Post Club

It all depends on the Turbo and the amount of Boost you‘re aiming for. He also likes to stick with OEM Logic. I would say if your gonna run a S280 it comes with a different actuator anyways that has been found to be a bit weak . So most of us just buy a Turbosmart 14lb wastegate for it. Plus its a bigger turbo and 28 pounds and above is not unusual. So the 14lb wastegate is the ticket.
As far as the Hybrid goes you would not want to run a stock actuator with it either. IMO.

Last edited:

AzNightmare

I've been seeing a lot of people running the whoosh hybrid with aux fuel or upgraded injectors, taking their car to the "next stage."
I always thought the hybrid turbo was the choice if you didn't want to upgrade your fuel system as it caps out at 300whp~
And S280 was the turbo if you wanted to upgrade your fuel. It sounds like whoosh hybrid can handle upgraded fuel system and push out more than 300whp anyway. What's the ceiling for the hybrid vs S280?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I've been seeing a lot of people running the whoosh hybrid with aux fuel or upgraded injectors, taking their car to the "next stage."
I always thought the hybrid turbo was the choice if you didn't want to upgrade your fuel system as it caps out at 300whp~
And S280 was the turbo if you wanted to upgrade your fuel. It sounds like whoosh hybrid can handle upgraded fuel system and push out more than 300whp anyway. What's the ceiling for the hybrid vs S280?
Without upgraded fuel the Hybrid puts out about 265-275 whp depending on octane .with a E30 tune it’s going to come in around 300 and the s280 will push 275-285 with e30 315 e50 335. I have pushed 300 whp and 340 TQ on 91 octane and e30. If I did injectors Adam could tune me to 330-340 whp and more Tq and that is dyno proven.

AzNightmare

Without upgraded fuel the Hybrid puts out about 265-275 whp depending on octane .with a E30 tune it’s going to come in around 300 and the s280 will push 275-285 with e30 315 e50 335. I have pushed 300 whp and 340 TQ on 91 octane and e30. If I did injectors Adam could tune me to 330-340 whp and more Tq and that is dyno proven.
I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm seeing a lot of comments about the Whoosh Hybrid being maxed out at 300. And the S280 will have a bit more head room to play with if I decide to upgrade my fuel system. Which is what I've been lead to believe.

But now recently, I'm also hearing people on Whoosh hybrid can upgrade their fuel system to push beyond 300. So now it's conflicting info and confusing me.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm seeing a lot of comments about the Whoosh Hybrid being maxed out at 300. And the S280 will have a bit more head room to play with if I decide to upgrade my fuel system. Which is what I've been lead to believe.

But now recently, I'm also hearing people on Whoosh hybrid can upgrade their fuel system to push beyond 300. So now it's conflicting info and confusing me.
If you think you'll be someone chasing a number and wanting more s280 is the way. If you are happy with wherever the numbers land and just want a fun driving car whoosh can be that turbo. At the end of the day it comes down to a physics problem. The compressor and turbine are both bigger than the whoosh. All things being equal on any individual vehicle will end with more power. Getting a big number with whoosh turbski will be a huge intercooler, something like a bravo alpha or pro alloy. Something to combat the vicious charge temps of running a compressor that far out of its efficient range. Also running a very aggressive blend of ethanol or even a full e85 which will require high budget fuel. We used to play these games with DSM/EVO crowd. Fastest/Most power stock appearing turbos was a coveted title in that group.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Like he ^^^^ said you can push the Whoosh but you will be running it hard and outside the efficiency range. It also depends on where you want to sit in the rpm band. I picked the S280 because when I am in the canyons I stay up in the revs , the S280 lives there and is not stressing where as the hybrid will go there but living there will put more wear and tear on it.
So yes while you might be able to get 300 and above with extra fuel on the Whoosh it’s far from ideal for the size of the Turbo.
As for power I have said it others have said it Whoosh gonna give you that tire spinning stupidly Torquey donkey kick down low and then drop from there. S280 will not give the donkey unless you use a E30 Tune. It will give you more of linear sloping upwards TQ curve. Making the car pull like a freight train starting at 2800 rpm and clean to redline.

Last edited: