Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports Hybrid Turbo pics, installs, results, dynos, reviews, thread......

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As much as I would NEVER change the downpipe on a factory snail (unless, of course, the factory downpipe/catcon was toast, and outside of the emissions warranty mileage/time terms), if I ever go S280, I definitely will be installing a high flow catcon containing downpipe along with it. [wink] [thumb]

I'm curious what are the risks of running the whoosh hybrid on the stock downpipe? I've heard you can run the S280 on a stock downpipe. What is the difference? Thanks.
No risk, but the downpipe will let the turbo spin more freely letting you get boost sooner and faster. Plus it's only a few extra minutes more work to swap one while you do the turbo.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

anticon

I see 5w-30 is called for. I have a bunch of 5w-20 around. Any thoughts on using it instead?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^There are 5W-20s which cost more than most all 5W-30s out there.
(And YES, I know that you were referring to him wanting to 'use up' the 5W-20 he already owns vs. buying new 5W-30 of any grade.)

But yeah, unless you are leaving your car out all night in International Falls, in the dead of winter (and maybe even then depending on the particular 5W-30, i.e.; whether or not it is on the thicker, or thinner end of the allowed 5W-30 viscosity range), you will be fully OK. [wink]

anticon

^^^There are 5W-20s which cost more than most all 5W-30s out there.
(And YES, I know that you were referring to him wanting to 'use up' the 5W-20 he already owns vs. buying new 5W-30 of any grade.)

But yeah, unless you are leaving your car out all night in International Falls, in the dead of winter (and maybe even then depending on the particular 5W-30, i.e.; whether or not it is on the thicker, or thinner end of the allowed 5W-30 viscosity range), you will be fully OK. [wink]
It's this stuff.

anticon

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell the difference between a stock turbo and a hybrid turbo if they both use the same housing. Are the vanes (I mean blades) visibly different? I ran a quick search for stock turbo photos for comparison but didn't get any hits.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is probably a dumb question, but how do you tell the difference between a stock turbo and a hybrid turbo if they both use the same housing. Are the vanes (I mean blades) visibly different? I ran a quick search for stock turbo photos for comparison but didn't get any hits.
The compressor wheel is alittle bit larger * And the exhaust Turbine is slightly larger.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Yes the wheels are visibly different.

anticon

Can anyone point me to performance results for a whoosh hybrid, paired with single port aux? I've been having a hard time finding that setup specifically for some reason.

anticon

I just got my final tune revision with my Whoosh hybrid turbo. I took it for a couple back to back runs on a fairly flat road this morning. Here are my virtual dyno curves. I didn't weigh my car today, but I have in the past, and I think all the factors for the virtual dyno are pretty correct, so I left it with level 2 smoothing to show the peak torque hit around 3500 rpm, I think I was getting peak around 3000 rpm on the stock turbo, but I was doing these pulls starting at 2500 rpm. I suppose if I started a little earlier in the rev range that peak torque might also happen earlier. I highlighted what I think is the most important difference between my E30 tune and this one, mainly the HP curve just keeps going. I'm very happy with the results. Now to get tuned with E30 on the hybrid, and get my LSD installed next week.

Attachments

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just got my final tune revision with my Whoosh hybrid turbo. I took it for a couple back to back runs on a fairly flat road this morning. Here are my virtual dyno curves. I didn't weigh my car today, but I have in the past, and I think all the factors for the virtual dyno are pretty correct, so I left it with level 1 smoothing to show the peak torque hit around 3500 rpm, I think I was getting peak around 3000 rpm on the stock turbo, but I was doing these pulls starting at 2500 rpm. I suppose if I started a little earlier in the rev range that peak torque might also happen earlier. I highlighted what I think is the most important difference between my E30 tune and this one, mainly the HP curve just keeps going. I'm very happy with the results. Now to get tuned with E30 on the hybrid, and get my LSD installed next week.
Link/ picture no worky

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Add your weight to the vehicle weight * then change it to smoothing 3 to see what happens.

I just got my final tune revision with my Whoosh hybrid turbo. I took it for a couple back to back runs on a fairly flat road this morning. Here are my virtual dyno curves. I didn't weigh my car today, but I have in the past, and I think all the factors for the virtual dyno are pretty correct, so I left it with level 2 smoothing to show the peak torque hit around 3500 rpm, I think I was getting peak around 3000 rpm on the stock turbo, but I was doing these pulls starting at 2500 rpm. I suppose if I started a little earlier in the rev range that peak torque might also happen earlier. I highlighted what I think is the most important difference between my E30 tune and this one, mainly the HP curve just keeps going. I'm very happy with the results. Now to get tuned with E30 on the hybrid, and get my LSD installed next week.
What is your elevation?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Has anyone that's installed one themselves noted and used Ford torque specs when buttoning back up the oil and coolant lines?

Also for the turbo to manifold and turbo to downpipe? Would using ARP hardware change those numbers?

I'll have to find them eventually. Not really loving the shady ebay fiesta manuals at first glance.

Magnetic

I've been really impressed with the Whoosh Hybrid. I've put 40K miles on it and got it used from my mechanic and I make that thing work all day looooong... (at least when I'm driving the car)

Maybe once I get the HPFP and Injectors done it'll be enough for me. But I really want an EFR setup from Borg Warner. (Only because the top end probably has a higher ceiling)

I've been really impressed with the Whoosh Hybrid. I've put 40K miles on it and got it used from my mechanic and I make that thing work all day looooong... (at least when I'm driving the car)

Maybe once I get the HPFP and Injectors done it'll be enough for me. But I really want an EFR setup from Borg Warner. (Only because the top end probably has a higher ceiling)
I'm glad it's holding up in the heat. I've been looking at this turbo because I like the way the car drives and I just want a little more out of it but wasn't sure it would do to well in 120F heat.

I wish there was more E85 out here.

Magnetic

I'm glad it's holding up in the heat. I've been looking at this turbo because I like the way the car drives and I just want a little more out of it but wasn't sure it would do to well in 120F heat.

I wish there was more E85 out here.
I've pushed this thing just as hard in the 117 degree heat and it is still running like a champ. I really cant believe it. Honestly if it does fail down the road and the new tune and parts I'm adding give me enough power to be happy, I'd probably get the Whoosh spec one that has the ceramic coating or whatever it is. I never find myself worrying about it. The price is also so fair I don't think there's a way to go wrong with it.