Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports Hybrid Turbo pics, installs, results, dynos, reviews, thread......

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

see now here you give some evidence do you have any dyno charts for it? Plus its interesting you mention the stock turbo feeling more responsive below 3k because from the dyno charts I read the S280 has a 50ftlb tq dip in the 2k-2500 range. after that it pretty much followed the stock TQ curve line till around 3k and then took off vs the Whoosh that shot like rocket on up the dyno chart right around 2k-2500 and turned over hard and started dropping vs the gradual constant upwards bell curve of the S280. Essentially on the charts the Whoosh peaked way earlier than the S280 on TQ .The S280 had much more linear curve on both TQ and HP which means that it pulls like a freight train above 3k and actually does need extra fueling to take full advantage of what it is capable of delivering. I talked to my tuner who does not like aux fuel as they use a piggyback system from the 90’s. Which is completely true. They favor a HpFp and possibly injectors,.
I drove a Whoosh and noticed the massive TQ in the low end the car pulled like crazy right off the line.
The argument one usually gives for that is tire spinning on the low end does no one any good except are you losing that low end pull on the s280. Most have claimed its fine a few have said they noticed the difference compared to their previous hybrid ( x47) .
So that is why I was interested in the differences between it and the Whoosh.

Which you came in and shit all over my post with your opinion and not fact and proceeded to argue about.
In the end the truth comes out you have never had a hybrid have a s280 and even mentioned the fact that you noticed the TQ dip.

HMM egg on your face time.
Im not real sure what you're talking about. I didn't say any opinions or argue with u...not sure about a tq dip in that rpm range...I have never gone wot at 2k rpms and I wouldn't suggest u do either unless maybe you're stock and want to spin some tires in 1st gear. When I do data logs and dyno I start at 2500 rpms in 3rd but thats only time I do a full load in such low rpms. That what I meant when I said stock was more responsive below 3k rpms. S280 has significant lag at 2500 rpm doing data log pulls til about 3k rpms. U shouldn't ever being going wot below 3k rpms unless datalogging, especially in higher gears. I have some charts but its on my computer and I use that tap talk app on my phone. Hybrids generally make more tq. Itll make it feel a lot faster, but stock fuel system, elevation, humidity and temperature set the max hp and tq numbers. Not anyones opinions.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah and he has the full kit of Single Port and Meth. Already made good numbers on those with the Hybrid. Let's see what it yields with the S280.
Please post up results down the line when it’s all said and done or point us to the thread. I’m two weeks out from install of my s280 and considering extra fueling after winter ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Im not real sure what you're talking about. I didn't say any opinions or argue with u...not sure about a tq dip in that rpm range...I have never gone wot at 2k rpms and I wouldn't suggest u do either unless maybe you're stock and want to spin some tires in 1st gear. When I do data logs and dyno I start at 2500 rpms in 3rd but thats only time I do a full load in such low rpms. That what I meant when I said stock was more responsive below 3k rpms. S280 has significant lag at 2500 rpm doing data log pulls til about 3k rpms. U shouldn't ever being going wot below 3k rpms unless datalogging, especially in higher gears. I have some charts but its on my computer and I use that tap talk app on my phone. Hybrids generally make more tq. Itll make it feel a lot faster, but stock fuel system, elevation, humidity and temperature set the max hp and tq numbers. Not anyones opinions.

I Was pointing out differences that are noticeable and I think not enough people are talking about that you seem to be trying to brush aside with the comment that under stock fueling its not that big or a noticeable difference. I feel its not true and the dyno charts bear it out. I only used the dyno charts are a reference which Is why I asked Sven about his friends change to see. You immediately stomped on that with your original comment . That is the only thing that elicited my responses beyond that.
I remain in the belief it is noticeable and cry foul on your assessment it does not.

Se7eN

Please post up results down the line when it’s all said and done or point us to the thread. I’m two weeks out from install of my s280 and considering extra fueling after winter ends.
I installed it on Saturday. he had a Vacuum line brake on the boost solenoid. Replaced it and I think he'll start tuning in a day or 2. Might take a few days to tune.

I Was pointing out differences that are noticeable and I think not enough people are talking about that you seem to be trying to brush aside with the comment that under stock fueling its not that big or a noticeable difference. I feel its not true and the dyno charts bear it out. I only used the dyno charts are a reference which Is why I asked Sven about his friends change to see. You immediately stomped on that with your original comment . That is the only thing that elicited my responses beyond that.
I remain in the belief it is noticeable and cry foul on your assessment it does not.
Sorry if u upset you. I was speaking of on paper performance and not feel. They s280 is technically a hybrid also. They way a dyno is trended and the tune can be misleading if you don't know what you're looking at. I don't think you would be disappointed with whichever u chose. Both are a blast for daily driving. If you want to be faster than all your other bt st friends its easier to make more power with s280 with upgraded fuel system imo. I'd like to see a long comparison video of whoosh vs s280 on stock fuel system doing a lot of different scenarios. That would be cool. Maybe it'll be on YouTube one day.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sorry if u upset you. I was speaking of on paper performance and not feel. They s280 is technically a hybrid also. They way a dyno is trended and the tune can be misleading if you don't know what you're looking at. I don't think you would be disappointed with whichever u chose. Both are a blast for daily driving. If you want to be faster than all your other bt st friends its easier to make more power with s280 with upgraded fuel system imo. I'd like to see a long comparison video of whoosh vs s280 on stock fuel system doing a lot of different scenarios. That would be cool. Maybe it'll be on YouTube one day.

Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot but no the S280 is not a Hybrid. Its actually a complete casting made to fit on the stock housing. I actually own one. I have been around dyno’s and Turbo cars for years. I know what I am looking at you do come off with a superior attitude and your post above is doing it again.
I was rubbed the wrong way because you talk down to people like you are doing above . You seem to assume a lot here. I tried to be nice but you came back with exact same attitude you had in your first post. I

I am done discussing this with you because civility is a word lost on you

jeff

2000 Post Club

What a great, helpful, kind post. Thank you.

Looking forward to comparison thoughts. But all of you guys who've chimed in are right - there is so much subjectivity here even with dyno graphs. Just the way the throttle input/tip-in is tuned makes a big difference on driveability/feel/ability to use the power. These are both great options being discussed.

Since this is Ron's whoosh thread I'll say I've heard nothing but great things about his offering.

I installed it on Saturday. he had a Vacuum line brake on the boost solenoid. Replaced it and I think he'll start tuning in a day or 2. Might take a few days to tune.
Any tips on install outside of the videos on Adams site?

Se7eN

Any tips on install outside of the videos on Adams site?
The turbo fits perfect with out having to remove the cross-member or anything. That's probably the main thing. Make sure the brass seals on the turbo oil inlet are seated well and maybe re-tighten after having it warm up. The grinding is not 100% necessary but it's good to give the clearance. Get longer vacuum lines if you can for the Boost Solenoid. Last thing, get some hose clamps for the OE lines that connect to the adapters provided. Kit comes with 4 such clamps you need at least 5, the other side stock clamp is big enough, the passenger side not so much.

Edit: Posted a longer version of this on the S280 Thread

Last edited:

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Ron wondering if this can be used with a symposer port bov like the vee port kit or is using the factory location with say a TS dual port preferred?

Anyone know a good installer in SE PA/Bucks county??

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #192
Ron wondering if this can be used with a symposer port bov like the vee port kit or is using the factory location with say a TS dual port preferred?

Anyone know a good installer in SE PA/Bucks county??
I'd post in the Facebook group PA ST/RS for an installer. There are many
As for the symposer BOV, Yes!
You can install a block off plate on the hybrid and run a BOV on the symposer port of the cold side pipe
The only direct fit turbo mounted options are GFB, GFB VTA, TS dual port or plumb back vac operated and the TS EM VR2 dual port or plumb back

Ive read so much on the whoosh Hybrid turbo and the S280 that I have no clue which route i would go. I wish I could just have both but I aint got money like that.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Ive read so much on the whoosh Hybrid turbo and the S280 that I have no clue which route i would go. I wish I could just have both but I aint got money like that.
Where do you drive your car and how do you use it? What supporting mods do you have? What is your goal or reason behind a bigger turbo?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Having owned FWD hatchbacks with undersized, overspun stock turbos and an oversized aftermarket turbo, the biggest difference is where the torque is. In my opinion, if you spend a lot of time on twisty/hilly roads, or around town driving, go with the turbo the spools similar to stock.

If you spend a lot of time on the highway and can wring out the gears the S280 would be a fine turbo since it seems happier in the upper ranges relative to the whoosh.

The difference in torque is the difference in having to downshift or not. Larger turbos force you to downshift for faster spool and response, where like-stock you can punch it just about anywhere. Say you're coming up on a traffic light, if you were cruising in 5th, and the light turns yellow you can probably get away with punching it with stock/like-stock turbo and get through. With a larger turbo, if you're caught off guard, flooring it may not get you the response you were wishing for and you blow the light or have to stop.

But from what I've seen they're not drastically apart, maybe 300-500rpm difference where make their peak torque.

Personally, I could flip a coin and be happy with either that end up under my hood.

I vote hybrid for stock fuel/daily fun, and s280 for guys that like highway runs or want more power. The hybrid just lights up tires and is rowdy in a fun laughable way. The s280 is a more serious drive. You should drive a car with ~270whp and see if it’s enough for you.

Where do you drive your car and how do you use it? What supporting mods do you have? What is your goal or reason behind a bigger turbo?
well i have many mods about to go into the car. Whoosh v3 intercooler, mishimoto radiator, Whoosh intercooler piping, Hot side pipe, cross over pipe, s200 air box, big sucker, turbo inlet, high flow cat, cobb v3 accessport, ordered those 15" dekagams that this forum special ordered and have R888 going on them. H&R sport springs with Bilstein B8 Struts, EBC slotted and dimpled rotors front and back with yellow stuff pads, Trac bar, trunk bar and some other goodies im missing. I drive this car on nice days and i have a beater Mazda 3 that i drive in the winter and on shitty days. I live in CT. Car never ever sees snow. I do a good 40 min drive too and from work on some nice twisty turny 45 mph roads that i can easily do 70 mph on even without these mods installed. I want something thats still going to be reliable but yet fun at the track if i decide to bring it to Limerock for track days. Ultimately I dont want to make this decision on a money factor seeing that the difference in the turbo prices really isnt much. I just dont want to go with the Hybrid and then wish i opted for the s280 because its more powerfull or so i think it is.

I vote hybrid for stock fuel/daily fun, and s280 for guys that like highway runs or want more power. The hybrid just lights up tires and is rowdy in a fun laughable way. The s280 is a more serious drive. You should drive a car with ~270whp and see if it’s enough for you.

You definitely sound just like the voice in my head. Its probably going to come down to a coin flip lol.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
well i have many mods about to go into the car. Whoosh v3 intercooler, mishimoto radiator, Whoosh intercooler piping, Hot side pipe, cross over pipe, s200 air box, big sucker, turbo inlet, high flow cat, cobb v3 accessport, ordered those 15" dekagams that this forum special ordered and have R888 going on them. H&R sport springs with Bilstein B8 Struts, EBC slotted and dimpled rotors front and back with yellow stuff pads, Trac bar, trunk bar and some other goodies im missing. I drive this car on nice days and i have a beater Mazda 3 that i drive in the winter and on shitty days. I live in CT. Car never ever sees snow. I do a good 40 min drive too and from work on some nice twisty turny 45 mph roads that i can easily do 70 mph on even without these mods installed. I want something thats still going to be reliable but yet fun at the track if i decide to bring it to Limerock for track days. Ultimately I dont want to make this decision on a money factor seeing that the difference in the turbo prices really isnt much. I just dont want to go with the Hybrid and then wish i opted for the s280 because its more powerfull or so i think it is.
Sounds similar to me. I have a similar mod list and do some track days in CT and MA. I went with a hybrid style turbo. Once I get it installed, I'd happily give you a ride along at one of the CT track days (Thompson) and you can see what you think. Not sure if you were looking to buy sooner however.