Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How many have experienced issues shifting into first gear?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
This has happened to me twice where I was not able to shift into first gear no matter how much I've depress the clutch. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Happened to be a couple of times. Pop into second, then it let's me right back into first no problem.

Affirmative. Not too often, maybe five times, but it has not gone away. I will be bringing it up during my first service at the dealership. Embarrassing and exasperating if you are trying to leave a stoplight.........

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
Every manual I've ever had has done this. Just put it in another gear real quick, and then pop it in to first. It should go in without a problem.

Its happened to me a few times, usually after reversing. Like others mentioned, shifting to another gear "resets" whatever was blocking first.

XuperXero

Happens a couple times here as well. This happens to all manual cars I've owned. Simple solution is as Colin said, shift into another gear and try again.

The gear tooth position with opposing gear tooth is blocking each other. Kinda like >< and gets jammed. Putting into another gear will shift the tooth a bit and it will slip in again.

If it happens often, you just have a very good luck on having the rare incidence of gear tooth position perfectly blocking each other. Go buy a lottery ticket.

koozy

3000 Post Club
pumping the clutch pedal does the trick for me whenever it doesn't want to go into 1st, which does not happen often. I simply put the gear selector back into neutral, pump the clutch pedal once or twice and then the gear selector goes right into 1st.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Always go 2nd to 1st and very seldom if ever have a issue. Had to do that with the Mustang all the time...

Perry

Has happened to me a couple times, both being when I've backed up and then shifted to first. The gear ratios of reverse and first are very similar--3.818 and 3.727--and I cannot help but wonder if this doesn't have something to do with it. I'd love to hear more from those with more expertise regarding transmissions than I've got.

I have had nothing but manuals ( one automatic and that was a mistake) and I have not had much trouble getting into first gear...reverse yes, but first, not so much. I am finding the FiST a little bit disconcerting as my last car was an Acura with a flawless 6-speed. For the most part I am well pleased with the FiST 6 speed and the beautifully linear clutch take-up and fueling map.........with almost 7K miles I love getting in this car everyday...so much fun. Has anyone noticed how the tranny really snicks in going from 4th to 5th gear...that's my favorite shift...as lame as that sounds.

Happens to me a sometimes while waiting at a light. I just let off the break slightly to get the car to roll an inch.

Every manual I've ever had has done this. Just put it in another gear real quick, and then pop it in to first. It should go in without a problem.
I second this, I've been doing it for the past 17 years when I've had manual trannys. So I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Perry

I started driving when a shift in a manual transmission meant getting down from the wagon and hitching up one more or one less ox. After a while we went to dual-clutch shifting, which mean we clutched two oxen together and shifted two at a time. Automatics came about when some of the richer folks hired youngsters to jump down from the wagon and do the shifting; the good ones did it when necessary without being told. All-terrain/all-wheel drive vehicles were single-speed mules.

Happened to be a couple of times. Pop into second, then it let's me right back into first no problem.
Same experience here. There are 3 specific times I can remember this happening. Hasn't happened for a solid month now.

Wait, nvm, I haven't even been able to drive for a month [mecry]