Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood Forged Dynapro 6 Big Brake Front Brake Kit (what's on whoosh) vs Forged Dynalite Big Brake Front Brake Kit

Fusion Works

Are any (all??) of the aftermarket REAR BBKs double wall, vented rotors, or are they all still solid rotors?
No they are all solid disks, No real reason on a FWD to have anything but a solid disk. They really don't do anything requiring a vented design. I don't even use a vented rotor on FWD race cars when the CG location is much better than the stock Fiesta ST.

Fusion Works

I can’t say I ever had issues with heat in the rear. I’ve baked the front powder coat black, but m rears have never gotten that hot.
Go to a real track and run a weekend at 8-9/10ths. Start with new non coated rotors so you can watch the heat line travel though the rotors.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
One significant positive in doing a BBK for me would be dropping a significant amount of unsprung weight, the best kind of weight to save. At least for the Wilwood kit that is on Whoosh, the website says the front set saves over 10 lb per corner, I don't believe it specifies a weight saving for the rears, but that reference on the link to the front set may apply to all four.
That said, if I did a BBK would be mainly for looks, and I do think they look great and add a lot to the car. I have the more aggressive brake pad option that came stock from the factory with the summer tires, and it's got more than enough stopping power for me.

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...ro-6-12-19in-red-big-brake-kit-2014-fiesta-st

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No they are all solid disks, No real reason on a FWD to have anything but a solid disk. They really don't do anything requiring a vented design. I don't even use a vented rotor on FWD race cars when the CG location is much better than the stock Fiesta ST.
Yes, even the WRC R2T/Rally4, FWD Fiestas use solid rear discs under their fixed Alcon calipers.

I have not seen a pic of the rear brakes used on the just a bit over stock power, AWD Rally 3 class Fiestas to know if they are using wide vented rotors on the back, or not (but they most likely are using solids on those as well).

Dialcaliper

Even the BTCC cars use a solid rear rotor, mostly drilled to death. HAHA
From the look of it, it appears the Fiesta R5 cars run basically identical calipers/discs/rotors both front and rear - 300mm gravel (15” wheels) and 355mm tarmac (18” wheels)

So yeah, rally cars use rear brakes, but they’ve also got four drive wheels mated to a sequential….🤯

Fusion Works

R5 Rally cars are AWD. they and they have a much altered center of gravity location to allow the rear wheels to contribute more to the overall braking.

There are also rules about upright and brake package design on the rally cars that somewhat force them to use the same components front and rear.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, there are only three AWD WRC classes currently.

The Rally 1 and Rally 2/R5 cars obviously use those huge vented Brembos, AP Racing, or Alcon setups front and rear.

I just did not know for sure if the way down on (limited by the rules) power Rally 3 AWD cars used solid rotors in the back.

Since they are supposed to be 'Rally 4/R2T cars with power going to the back as well as the front' (and an allowed R5 style rear wing), my guess is that they use the same solid rear rotors as those FWD only cars.

Fusion Works

My knowledge of the current (within the lasts 5-7 years) is from these guys:
https://www.highpowermedia.com/Prod...ace-technology/rally-race-technology-volume-8

They cover the Rally technology Seriously in depth compared to the normal media. Go buy all the back issues. Its solid info.

Real Rally is kinda weird. There is a lot of left foot braking to balance the chassis on the dirt so I could see a lot more demand on the brakes than most people think. Kinda like the dirt late model guys, lots of heat in the brakes. Add to that rocks and other debris that causes them to wear extremely fast.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just found out that the AWD Rally 3 Fiestas definitely use a VENTED AP Racing rear rotor under their Alcon calipers, just like the fronts, and basically the same size rear rotor (285mm) for both gravel and tarmac, but a larger 335mm front for the tarmac events.

I guess they feel that the greater speed (even though the power is just a bit more than the Rally 4 rides, with yes, more weight due to the whole AWD conversion kit) (and weight) carried by the AWD class car over the R2T/Rally 4 FWD only cars warrants/justifies the greater 'consumables' costs of the ventilated rotors (not that that means anything/much on a $115,000 initial co$t rally ride anyway)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My knowledge of the current (within the lasts 5-7 years) is from these guys:
https://www.highpowermedia.com/Prod...ace-technology/rally-race-technology-volume-8

They cover the Rally technology Seriously in depth compared to the normal media. Go buy all the back issues. Its solid info.

Real Rally is kinda weird. There is a lot of left foot braking to balance the chassis on the dirt so I could see a lot more demand on the brakes than most people think. Kinda like the dirt late model guys, lots of heat in the brakes. Add to that rocks and other debris that causes them to wear extremely fast.
The hydraulic hand brake systems also most likely factor into having large (and vented rotors where allowed) rear brakes if possible.

They use these A LOT (especially on the FWD cars!) to rotate the car around the 180*+ hairpins on both gravel and tarmac events.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So....what are the BBKs that can be run with Stock wheels with little to no spacers on the rotors?

OP
E
Thread Starter #74
So....what are the BBKs that can be run with Stock wheels with little to no spacers on the rotors?
from what everyone talked about, the only easily accessible BBK that can fit under the factory wheel is the wilwood 6piston lug mount that you see on the whoosh site. wilwood does have their narow dynapro radial mounted caliper that i think would fit under the factory wheel but they don't sell that as a kit for the fiesta st. you'd either need them to make a custom mount to fit our cars or as dpro mentioned get a shop to do it for you.

msport mentioned that there are some rally sport providers that make kits that would fit under our wheels but again, i think the whole custom bracket would come into play.

so short answer: the wilwood kit on whoosh. that's it.

kevinatfms

from what everyone talked about, the only easily accessible BBK that can fit under the factory wheel is the wilwood 6piston lug mount that you see on the whoosh site. wilwood does have their narow dynapro radial mounted caliper that i think would fit under the factory wheel but they don't sell that as a kit for the fiesta st. you'd either need them to make a custom mount to fit our cars or as dpro mentioned get a shop to do it for you.

msport mentioned that there are some rally sport providers that make kits that would fit under our wheels but again, i think the whole custom bracket would come into play.

so short answer: the wilwood kit on whoosh. that's it.
The TCE Performance kit would be damn close on the stock 17x7 wheel without a spacer seeing the space between my caliper and the Dekagram. I dont have stock wheels to test though. If anyone wants to come by and throw a wheel on real quick we can test it out.

This TCE kit is 4 piston radial mount DSP calipers, 11.75" GT rotors, TCE brackets/lines and hardware kit.

IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG

OP
E
Thread Starter #76
The TCE Performance kit would be damn close on the stock 17x7 wheel without a spacer seeing the space between my caliper and the Dekagram. I dont have stock wheels to test though. If anyone wants to come by and throw a wheel on real quick we can test it out.

This TCE kit is 4 piston radial mount DSP calipers, 11.75" GT rotors, TCE brackets/lines and hardware kit.

View attachment 54329
View attachment 54330
well that looks exactly like what we were all hoping to find. TCE Performance website looks like it was built in the late 90s and they make no mention of Fiesta. was this a custom build you had TCE do for your Fiesta? i guess it could be on their instagram page but can't look through that at work.

any more info you could provide or point us to would be really appreciated!

kevinatfms

well that looks exactly like what we were all hoping to find. TCE Performance website looks like it was built in the late 90s and they make no mention of Fiesta. was this a custom build you had TCE do for your Fiesta? i guess it could be on their instagram page but can't look through that at work.

any more info you could provide or point us to would be really appreciated!
Kit is not listed. Only his most popular kits are on the website. Found out about it from another member who used it on a rally build to fit under Method 15" wheels.

Kit components:
Wilwood 4 piston DSP radial mount calipers
11.75" x .810 GT Casting(Spec 37) w/ Wilwood dynalite hats/rotor rings
TCE brackets for 11.75" rotors
TCE/Wilwood brake line kit
Wilwood BP30 pads
Wilwood hardware kit

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Kit is not listed. Only his most popular kits are on the website. Found out about it from another member who used it on a rally build to fit under Method 15" wheels.

Kit components:
Wilwood 4 piston DSP radial mount calipers
11.75" x .810 GT Casting(Spec 37) w/ Wilwood dynalite hats/rotor rings
TCE brackets for 11.75" rotors
TCE/Wilwood brake line kit
Wilwood BP30 pads
Wilwood hardware kit
How much?