Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Would you install "new old stock" tires at MAJOR discount?

Would you install "new old stock" tires at a MAJOR discount?

• Heck yeah, as long as age is known and know I will get good use out of them before they get too old

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Nope, just don't trust tires that have been sitting 4 years, regardless of what everyone says.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
Nah, theres good enough deals on cheap tires out there, I'd pass.
I'm hearing a few people say this but not really explain.. is it just the chance of hidden dry rot possibly coming up while driving hard and you blow a tire or visually appearing after installing them and it's too late? I guess after doing some web research, the very most paranoid answer is that they will last at LEAST 5 years, I guess I'm just thinking at this price I can get a full year or so out of them 100% safely and replace them even with some tread left and it's still a good value at $295 installed, I think that's a decent 1 year tire budget value...

HBEcoBeaST

I'm hearing a few people say this but not really explain.. is it just the chance of hidden dry rot possibly coming up while driving hard and you blow a tire or visually appearing after installing them and it's too late? I guess after doing some web research, the very most paranoid answer is that they will last at LEAST 5 years, I guess I'm just thinking at this price I can get a full year or so out of them 100% safely and replace them even with some tread left and it's still a good value at $295 installed, I think that's a decent 1 year tire budget value...
honestly I don't think you'll get a better deal for all-seasons in that price range. ~$400 would get you some excellent summer tires like firehawks or bfg sc2, but that's not meeting your needs. I definitely wouldn't worry about the age of the tires if a legitimate tire seller was offering them, it's not like they're leaving them out in the sun for years.

My only complaint with the cheaper all seasons like the rikens or 595ss (federal A/S) is the softer sidewall. After having driven both I liked the ironman igen 2 that came on my car a bit more, much better feel and progressive breakaway, but they didn't last 15K and appeared to be brand new or close to when I got them.

This is why I'm glad I dropped to 16" wheels. Rubber is a good chunk cheaper!

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
This is why I'm glad I dropped to 16" wheels. Rubber is a good chunk cheaper!
Weird, I'm not even finding many sizes in 16" that will even work, much less affordable... then again, I'm insisting on at least 215 width too, with all the torque of e30... but there are TONS of cheap off-brand and even solid $100 choices of tires in 17", it's just a matter of what has decent all around general traction in wet and dry while ALSO having decent grip in performance driving situations.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
honestly I don't think you'll get a better deal for all-seasons in that price range. ~$400 would get you some excellent summer tires like firehawks or bfg sc2, but that's not meeting your needs. I definitely wouldn't worry about the age of the tires if a legitimate tire seller was offering them, it's not like they're leaving them out in the sun for years.

My only complaint with the cheaper all seasons like the rikens or 595ss (federal A/S) is the softer sidewall. After having driven both I liked the ironman igen 2 that came on my car a bit more, much better feel and progressive breakaway, but they didn't last 15K and appeared to be brand new or close to when I got them.
Yeah, you need to try to work the upper end of the max psi ratings on them to get the most out of them for sure.

Weird, I'm not even finding many sizes in 16" that will even work, much less affordable... then again, I'm insisting on at least 215 width too, with all the torque of e30... but there are TONS of cheap off-brand and even solid $100 choices of tires in 17", it's just a matter of what has decent all around general traction in wet and dry while ALSO having decent grip in performance driving situations.

I'm running 215/45R16 Federal Evoluzion ST-1 I bought on eBay shipped for $330. Awesome wet traction and good performance traction but I have winter wheels/tires and would not run the Federals in the winter.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
I'm running 215/45R16 Federal Evoluzion ST-1 I bought on eBay shipped for $330. Awesome wet traction and good performance traction but I have winter wheels/tires and would not run the Federals in the winter.
OK, yep, that's the ONE affordable set of tires in 16" that I'd go with, but in my case I'm trying to stick with all-season for now, but that's what I'd go with for a summer set for sure.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I would not buy them just for the price. I would consider buying them if it was something I was already seeking. If they were Yokohama for example, you you'd have to pay me to take them, and I still wouldn't stick them on my vehicle.

OP
danbfree

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
I would not buy them just for the price. I would consider buying them if it was something I was already seeking. If they were Yokohama for example, you you'd have to pay me to take them, and I still wouldn't stick them on my vehicle.
I hear you, I actually want UHP all season and everything I've read says these are actually quite good!

Jerickson88

If had my Federal Formoza FD2 in 215/40 shipped for like $268, they were great tires. Ended up going with some RS-RR, for not much more. They are load, but very planted in corners and acceleration

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I come from the 4x4 community and I have no issues running older tires - I look for sidewall cracking as an indicator that they're questionable, cracking between the tread blocks I can deal with. Shit, I've plugged a tire side wall which I could stick my thumb through and it held air just fine.

At +$400 per tire for my 315/70R17's I can't replace them every few years 'just because they're old'.

As long as you're not attempting to set new track lap records, they're not going to spontaneously combust on you.